Truck went to the shop today, here's what I found out. Suggestions are needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lately, I've heard some "popping" coming from the front end of my truck. Pretty irregular at first, but is becoming more frequent. I pretty well figured it was the ball joints, but since I needed an oil change anyways, I thought I'd let my mechanic check it out.

Based off of a visual inspection, my ball joints are on the way out. They're not terrible, but I don't have long. There's definitely some play in them.

I'm still riding on factory shocks, which accounts for some of the other noises and issues I've had here lately.

Finally, the stabilizer bar is ragged and the bushings are shot.

I had him figure up a quote for me to have all the work done there, coming out to a whopping $878.57!:favorites68: This does include MOOG parts and Monroe shocks, but it's a little on the high side.

I'm planning on handling the shocks and stabilizer bar/bushings myself, they're simple enough and the parts are dirt cheap from RockAuto. Do you guys have any suggestions on particular brands and/or upgrades?

However, I'm hesitant on doing the ball joints myself. I've heard many horror stories about them. I don't have the proper tools, nor a shop to work in. I've also never done a ball joint replacement. The ball joints alone, will run me $377.24. Sound like a fair price?

Just how damn hard are ball joints to replace? Should I bother replacing/upgrading anything else since I'll be working on the suspension anyways?

Looks like I've got a busy weekend ahead of me. I figure I'll go ahead and change my brakes with some quality parts instead of the noisy SoB's I got now. Might even repaint my calipers. Really need to change the transmission fluid, so I might take care of that too.

Help Me!

Last edited:

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
878 sounds fair for shocks all the way around and ball joints and swaybar bushings.

377 is more than fair for ball joints, IMO. Most of the time its closer to 500. I've never done ball joints without a press and the right adapters and air tools, so I dont know what its like without the right stuff but it can still be a challenge even with all that.

OP
OP
Roll_HEMI_Tide

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
878 sounds fair for shocks all the way around and ball joints and swaybar bushings.

377 is more than fair for ball joints, IMO. Most of the time its closer to 500. I've never done ball joints without a press and the right adapters and air tools, so I dont know what its like without the right stuff but it can still be a challenge even with all that.

Forgot to mention, this is front end only. I thought $377 sounded fair, because I've searched around online and have seen people quoted in excess of $600 for ball joints.

The $377 quote doesn't include the alignment, but that's only somewhere around sixty bucks.

is it the outer ball joints or inner?

Both upper and lower ball joints are included on the $377 quote.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the tie rod ends are not loose/boots destroyed there is no need to replace them. It's not something that even falls close to "better do it while your in there" like evap with heater core, etc.

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats a hell of a good deal for everything, a shop out here (spokane wa) wanted to charge me a grand to do only my ball joints....**** that noise

Camo Ram

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
IMO if you are not familiar with removing the 1/2 shafts (4x4?) then lower ball joints could be difficult. You need the service kit with clamp/press tool and proper size hollow rings. I,ve done it and you need to be careful. $95 for a Mopar OEM (No service req'd) and most uppers they wanna sell you the whole arm. That Price sounds good to me. Tie-rods are important so check them regularily, you don't wanna break one when your rolling happened to me in a work Truck and Luckily just went in the ditch (was slowing to make a turn at the Time////Pidgeon Toed).

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$900 for parts and labor isn't bad at all, unless he is selling you the cheap (Monroe Blue) shocks. I'd personally reccomend the Reflex (a monroe shock) for general purpose vehicles. I put a set on my Dad's truck (having had stock, Monroe SensaTracks and now the Reflex) and I gotta say, I REALLY like how the Reflex rides, they typically go for about $80 a shock.

The value line monroe shocks... I put a set on my '92 Dakota which still had factory shocks on it, I could tell 0 difference in ride / sponginess. Took them off and went with, you guessed it, Reflexes. WAAAAAY better.

Moog makes quality suspension components, I think they are a great brand.

OP
OP
Roll_HEMI_Tide

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO if you are not familiar with removing the 1/2 shafts (4x4?) then lower ball joints could be difficult. You need the service kit with clamp/press tool and proper size hollow rings. I,ve done it and you need to be careful. $95 for a Mopar OEM (No service req'd) and most uppers they wanna sell you the whole arm. That Price sounds good to me. Tie-rods are important so check them regularily, you don't wanna break one when your rolling happened to me in a work Truck and Luckily just went in the ditch (was slowing to make a turn at the Time////Pidgeon Toed).

I figure I'll leave the tie-rods out of my order, but I'll be sure to check them out too. If i end up needing to replace them, I'll bite the bullet and buy from a local parts store.

$900 for parts and labor isn't bad at all, unless he is selling you the cheap (Monroe Blue) shocks. I'd personally reccomend the Reflex (a monroe shock) for general purpose vehicles. I put a set on my Dad's truck (having had stock, Monroe SensaTracks and now the Reflex) and I gotta say, I REALLY like how the Reflex rides, they typically go for about $80 a shock.

The value line monroe shocks... I put a set on my '92 Dakota which still had factory shocks on it, I could tell 0 difference in ride / sponginess. Took them off and went with, you guessed it, Reflexes. WAAAAAY better.

Moog makes quality suspension components, I think they are a great brand.

I was quoted SensaTrack shocks. I did kind of want to upgrade to a better shock, hell I'm still riding on stockers anyways.

As I said, I'm not planning to drop nearly a grand to get these repairs since I'm capable of doing most myself. I'm scared of the ball joints, but I've ALMOST talked myself into it. I'm just putting together my shopping list.

For the upper ball joint, the entire upper control arm has to be replaced, right? I'm confused because RockAuto sells the control arm w/ ball joint, but also sells the ball joint as a single unit.

And the lower ball joint looks like a total pain in the ass.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If you are capable of doing the work, then buy the proper tools and you will have the tools and knowledge of the job when finished. Even if it costs the same as having the shop do it you will be far ahead when finished. Go for it..

zoomin0074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently replaced almost all the front suspension components on my truck, total was $738 labor done by me + alignment.. First time doing ball joints and I had no issues at all, went smooth with a rented tool from autoparts store. The hardest part for me was getting the halfshaft to line up and slide into the hub when reassembling. No more noisy front end and ride is much better than before.

replaced:
- upper control arms (moog)
- lower ball joints (moog)
- steering rack (cardone refurb) so far its ok but heard issues after year or so
- Rancho quicklift level struts
- tie rod ends (moog)
- sway bar links (moog)
- alignment

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
upper ball joints are easy to replace... and i found a video that you can use when it comes to lower ball joints. you can either do lowwer control arm replacement and have a shop press in new bushings, or you can press in the ball joints following this video:

Dodge Ram 1500 Changing out Ball Joints Shocks and Tie Rods - YouTube

this video is not mine and i take no credit for this video.