True Dual worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMcKay0351

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012 Ram Limited and Currently have a Flowmaster Super 10 (single in, dual out) looking to true dual it and put 2 super 10s in it. Any thoughts or advice, just trying to go for a louder truck and a little boost on the HP.

0C29795B-E05E-4965-BE22-8EEBAFD53BF1.jpeg

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd imagine if anything you might loose a little torque, but who knows. There's some folks on here with dual stainless works that should be able to comment.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not an exhaust expert, but if you go dual you should have an H-pipe or X-pipe to balance the cylinder banks.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah pretty sure you will want an X-Pipe if you do this. But for the money you will spend, the gains are not really worth it. It should sound nice though!

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about doing true duals an x pipe and no muffler?

OP
OP
MMcKay0351

MMcKay0351

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What would be the difference between X-pipe and H-pipe? because I really like the Flowmaster Super 10 series and I know they make an H-pipe

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The X-pipe pushes both sides together basically back into a single exhaust.

The H-pipe will balance both sides together but exhaust gases don't mix as much.

The intent of both is to balance both sides of your duals together, without them they are truly dual exhaust and will pop and cackle.

They sound different too, I am told, but I have never had both and X and then an H on the same vehicle to compare.

OP
OP
MMcKay0351

MMcKay0351

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think i'd like more of the crackle and pop sound. but i will do more research on the differences. And as far as catalytic converters go, would i have to get one for each pipe? i live in Houston and i know the laws depend on the state.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could use your stock cats (if they are still good) and cut the exhaust after the cats and run it dual. Yes you would need a cat for each pipe or you will have O2 issues and throw codes.

IMO you won't gain much by going true dual other than spending a bunch of money. If you want it loud take your muffler off and run a piece of pipe in its place.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I'm running a true dual with an x-pipe and it sounds great. No big difference in power. My friend's mustang is a true dual with an h-pipe and it has a very unique sound to it. No idea how to describe it.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hit nick up at [email protected] He’s a preferred vendor on the forum. He’s the real go to guy when it comes to exhaust questions.
He’s a super cool person I’ve bought from him before and will again too

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hit nick up at [email protected] He’s a preferred vendor on the forum. He’s the real go to guy when it comes to exhaust questions.
He’s a super cool person I’ve bought from him before and will again too

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)
Thank you!

Honestly if you want some more power a muffler change isnt going to help much other than noise. True duals isnt really a help either. You want an x pipe if you are going to remove the y-pipe. If you want more power that you can actually feel you will want to go with long tube headers with new Y-pipe or at least go with the AFE y-pipe that bolts up to the stock manifolds. The stock y pipe is very restrictive as well as the stock manifolds. with have many long tube header options. For the best flowing exhaust setup we do offer the stainless works long tube headers with either a catted or non-catted y pipe that can be mated to the SW cat back that will have a x-pipe built in to help with exhaust scavenging.

Message me for pricing and let me know if you have any questions. we dont just sell exhaust but we do specialize in it!

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My experience with h and x pipes is with mustangs. H pipe is deeper, a little better down low, x is raspier, racier sounding and better mid to high range.