Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I understand the argument. I understand how a PC works. My question was pretty simply, if opening the throttle faster matters the numbers will show it and the "just press the pedal harder" camp is wrong. If the numbers are the same, the "but it opens the throttle faster" crowd is wrong. Feels don't matter as much as real data, although obviously some folks will remain fact resistant if it doesn't support their notions.
Everybody's resistant when their argument isn't supported by everyone. Everyone gets a trophy now, you know that... :happy175:

I'd be interested to see actual times myself, but I assure you if you used one, you'd be a believer. Pressing an electronic activator (button) harder gets very limited results.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't have the numbers yet since I've put mine on, I haven't been to the dragstrip yet since I put mine on. My biggest fear is losing traction more than before. I am one that don't want to spin the tires, waste of time at the track so it is possible I may run a slower time because of that. With that said I will have to possibly learn how to get it out of the hole at the strip but I don't care because the seat of the pants driving on the street is so much more fun because it'll snap my neck instead of feeling lazy on take off. I still believe if you have 2 exact trucks that run from start to finish side by side and you put a throttle control on one of them and it jumps the other one out of the hole a car length your going to end up being a car length difference at the end. To me a win is a win! End of the day, I'm not taking mine off, I can set it back to normal or whatever setting I decide with a push of a button. How can there be ANY negative to that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
67 StingrayJ

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So it sounds like the ONLY effect a Pedal Commander does is open the throttle faster. As to whether or not that's an advantage needs to be substantiated with data.

I'm from the "SHOW-ME" state. So 'show me' that opening the throttle faster results in any metric better than what you could otherwise achieve from a stock truck.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I personally have never said it was better by any numbers, I have said it is better for me because I have tested it with my stock truck and installed the throttle controller and the seat of the pants when pressing the pedal makes me happy. I don't understand why it's an issue for some. For me when I get pushed back in the seat harder I don't need any other test. That was my test!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which would lend credence to the "push the pedal harder" argument. If it's same-same at WOT, then the "opening the throttle faster" isn't doing anything measurable. If there are slight gains, then the "opening the throttle faster" is actually resulting in slightly better acceleration. Etc. The numbers will show if it's just feels or if it's for reals...

I understand the argument. I understand how a PC works. My question was pretty simply, if opening the throttle faster matters the numbers will show it and the "just press the pedal harder" camp is wrong. If the numbers are the same, the "but it opens the throttle faster" crowd is wrong. Feels don't matter as much as real data, although obviously some folks will remain fact resistant if it doesn't support their notions.

so here is the numbers that should so it, as previously posted
Today I tested the PC on and off.

Same road, i held break till predetermined RPM then gas pedal and released with PC off and sport +4, i was only person in vehicle nothing in bed. Sport + 4 on PC and sport mode in both.

Initial 0-60 was 6.2 sec.
PC post 0-60 was 5.4 sec

Did it two more times with similar results.

Run 2:

Initial 0-60 was 6.3 sec.
PC post 0-60 was 5.6 sec

Run 3:

Initial 0-60 was 6.1 sec.
PC post 0-60 was 5.3 sec

Like I have said though, WOT isnt what this is for. The PC is and other products like it are for all ranges of pedal throw. pressing the pedal harder will not mimic what it can do. It really is one of those you just have to try it yourself things

I don't have the numbers yet since I've put mine on, I haven't been to the dragstrip yet. My biggest fear is losing traction more than before. I am one that don't want to spin the tires, waste of time at the track so it is possible I may run a slower time because of that. With that said I will have to possibly learn how to get it out of the hole at the strip but I don't care because the seat of the pants driving on the street is so much more fun because it'll snap my neck instead of feeling lazy on take off. I still believe if you have 2 exact trucks that run from start to finish side by side and you put a throttle control on one of them and it jumps the other one out of the hole a car length your going to end up being a car length difference at the end. To me a win is a win! End of the day, I'm not taking mine off, I can set it back to normal or whatever setting I decide with a push of a button. How can there be ANY negative to that?

Agreed tire spin can effect these #'s some members are looking for as proof and that is part of the reason why #'s wont tell the whole story. If both trucks launch with perfect traction(maybe 4wd launch both) I agree with that the PC truck would get the hole shot

So it sounds like the ONLY effect a Pedal Commander does is open the throttle faster. As to whether or not that's an advantage needs to be substantiated with data.

I'm from the "SHOW-ME" state. So 'show me' that opening the throttle faster results in any metric better than what you could otherwise achieve from a stock truck.

That is exactly what this person has done here
Today I tested the PC on and off.

Same road, i held break till predetermined RPM then gas pedal and released with PC off and sport +4, i was only person in vehicle nothing in bed. Sport + 4 on PC and sport mode in both.

Initial 0-60 was 6.2 sec.
PC post 0-60 was 5.4 sec

Did it two more times with similar results.

Run 2:

Initial 0-60 was 6.3 sec.
PC post 0-60 was 5.6 sec

Run 3:

Initial 0-60 was 6.1 sec.
PC post 0-60 was 5.3 sec

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel

It's not that it opens the throttle faster, it opens the throttle sooner. That's all it does, that's all it's supposed to do. No added HP. Throttle opening faster = moving sooner, not faster. No metric needed. A person's truck will only do what it's capable of doing, in this case it's just about when it does it.

I was in the same camp when I first started using PC (years ago). I was immediately convinced, not having to immerse myself in all kinds of data that doesn't exist, because why bother?

Buy one from somewhere that has a thirty day free return policy. Plug it in, use it. IMO, I doubt you'll return it.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
well that settles it then. I'm getting one. Now I guess it's up to the naysayers to prove otherwise.
That's the best part, it's not up to anyone but you. Get it and plug it in. The rest is up to your experience, which will be immediate. Start on a calmer setting, like City +3. By the time you get to Sport +3, you'll really understand... LOL

OP
OP
67 StingrayJ

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My point was I have heard lots of arguments saying the pedal commander doesn't do anything that your foot couldn't do. It's up to the naysayers to prove otherwise.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
My point was I have heard lots of arguments saying the pedal commander doesn't do anything that your foot couldn't do. It's up to the naysayers to prove otherwise.
They won't prove anything. Neither will we (the drivers that actually own and use the PC). The PC owners have consistently told you what the device does, and how our trucks behave while using the device. At this point your actual usage is the only thing you should rely on.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They won't prove anything. Neither will we (the drivers that actually own and use the PC). The PC owners have consistently told you what the device does, and how our trucks behave while using the device. At this point your actual usage is the only thing you should rely on.

TRUTH! well said

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they are not traceable. I brought mine in with it installed but on a low setting and they never mentioned it. If it is a big concern simply remove it and they wouldnt know it was ever installed
Do you sell them? Are there different brands or is the pedal commander the only one?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you sell them? Are there different brands or is the pedal commander the only one?
Yes we offer them. The 2 top brands for these type of devices are Pedal Commander and Banks Pedal Monster. There are some other brands we can offer as well but these 2 are the top products.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
so here is the numbers that should so it, as previously posted

Yup, we were posting simultaneously so I saw it after that post and gave it a "like".

I'd be interested to see actual times myself, but I assure you if you used one, you'd be a believer. Pressing an electronic activator (button) harder gets very limited results.

Like I said, I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm satisfied with the way my truck drives as it is. I've got a 6.2L/6M Camaro SS if I want to get pushed back in the seat.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm curious how adding more electronics between the pedal and the computer can change the speed at which the computer opens the throttle.

I get that it can say X pedal position now becomes Y throttle position, but not the speed that it does it.

It simply shortens the throw to full throttle and makes it more touchy. Case and point, Banks unit reverts to stock in reverse to smooth out back out.

I want to see the programming and what's actually going on in the tune with these things before I'll change my mind. 'you'd understand if you tried one' won't cut it with me

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes we offer them. The 2 top brands for these type of devices are Pedal Commander and Banks Pedal Monster. There are some other brands we can offer as well but these 2 are the top products.
How much are these two you mentioned?

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a long trip it is nice to put in in ECO also and just let your foot rest on the pedal. Wont do much but maintain your current speed. PC works great in both directions. :)

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
On a long trip it is nice to put in in ECO also and just let your foot rest on the pedal. Wont do much but maintain your current speed. PC works great in both directions. :)
I know this sounds crazy and I'll probably get told it's just in my head (won't be the first time in my life I've been told that) but my transmission seems to down shift quicker when I push it. I assume that's may be because the throttle opens quicker. I don't really care why, I don't claim to be or care about science! I'm ok with the voices in my head being right! LOL