Uconnect RA2 to RA4 upgrade assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just plugged in the 8.4AN/RA4 with the NAV. into my truck. I am coming from a Uconnect 3.0. Everything works perfect minus the the heat controls on screen. As confirmed you need the steering wheel controls to adjust the volume and you need to get a mic for the bluetooth to work since the 3.0's didn't come with it. I can hear them they can't hear me. But I'm working on that. If you can get one cheap (i paid 160 for mine) it is well worth the upgrade IMO.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just plugged in the 8.4AN/RA4 with the NAV. into my truck. I am coming from a Uconnect 3.0. Everything works perfect minus the the heat controls on screen. As confirmed you need the steering wheel controls to adjust the volume and you need to get a mic for the bluetooth to work since the 3.0's didn't come with it. I can hear them they can't hear me. But I'm working on that. If you can get one cheap (i paid 160 for mine) it is well worth the upgrade IMO.

Great price ! Glad to know people coming from a 3.0 have this option too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not sure if the mirror with the microphone that comes with the 5.0 will work without the dealership adding some sales code to your truck.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I'm not sure if the mirror with the microphone that comes with the 5.0 will work without the dealership adding some sales code to your truck.

The mirror works but I kept getting a microphone needs serviced and shows a pic of the mirror. I found one that has the assist and 911 buttons which I was told will stop the error messages. I will let you know it was cheap enough so What the hell it's worth a try!

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm pretty sure if I can figure out which plug is the Mic it can just be added / routed some place else. Don't see how a Mic NEEDS to be in the mirror. But if the mirror works out too please let me know.

Also found the buttons for the steering wheel cheap enough so I may add those also with my new leather steering wheel I just picked up and the audio controls for the radio.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The mirror works but I kept getting a microphone needs serviced and shows a pic of the mirror. I found one that has the assist and 911 buttons which I was told will stop the error messages. I will let you know it was cheap enough so What the hell it's worth a try!
You will most likely need to have some sales code flashed to activate the mirror's phone. If not please let me know because I will also swap to the mirror with the 911 button.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm pretty sure if I can figure out which plug is the Mic it can just be added / routed some place else. Don't see how a Mic NEEDS to be in the mirror. But if the mirror works out too please let me know.

Also found the buttons for the steering wheel cheap enough so I may add those also with my new leather steering wheel I just picked up and the audio controls for the radio.
The wire harness for the audio controls has the plugs for the uconnect and the cruise/shift buttons. Might as well get them all active at once.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
The microphone is in my mirror now, so I am hoping that it is plug and play. The radio detects it is having a problem because it isn't seeing the assist or 911 buttons.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The microphone is in my mirror now, so I am hoping that it is plug and play. The radio detects it is having a problem because it isn't seeing the assist or 911 buttons.
I'm also hoping it will be plug and play. However I'm afraid the phone won't work without a flash since it interacts with the airbag system.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I'm also hoping it will be plug and play. However I'm afraid the phone won't work without a flash since it interacts with the airbag system.

I am too, I will let you know as soon as I get it!

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Well the mirror came in today and the truck sees it. You need the subscription for the uconnect for the assist to work but the truck sees it and the 911 button works and so does the microphone in the mirror. So far the device mirror error has gone away, but I only started the truck 4 times. Automatic dimming mirror I am not sure if it works as my back window is very dark. Here is a couple of pics of it.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416248319.757355.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416248332.592361.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416248341.613862.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416248351.353986.jpg

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
The vehicle phone needs service error showed back up, but went right off. So I am not sure on this one. Maybe the update will take care of it?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416249219.128538.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416249258.262356.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416249268.315326.jpg

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice man ! Worth trying to find one you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
If you can get it cheap enough just for the 911 capabilities and the auto dimming. I picked one up for $65 including shipping. Happy hunting!

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So does it actually make the connection with Uconnect now that the antenna is present? Because mine does the same thing then after a while says it cant connect to server or something like that.

I have the backup camera view in my rear view mirror so guess I would have to find one that also has the mic's and hope / verify the wiring is already there for a Uconnect 3.0 unit since thats what I had.

I have to chase down the connection to move it from the mirror to the screen or maybe have them both show...

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I added the wiring from the back up camera to the 5.0 radio and it shows up in my 8.4 also on the screen. Look up "back up camera harness" by Jeepguy on here. He made a great alternative for us who did not get one from the factory. It is a shame he has passed on, so much knowledge gone. There was detailed directions on how to install it.

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I think I figured out which wires I need to move.

So does it connect to Uconnect now with the new Mirror in place? My try's to connect but never does so I am curious if the mirror has some additional function / antenna in it that allows it to connect?

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Thanks, I think I figured out which wires I need to move.

So does it connect to Uconnect now with the new Mirror in place? My try's to connect but never does so I am curious if the mirror has some additional function / antenna in it that allows it to connect?

You have to have the uconnect subscription I believe. I haven't tried it in a while.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I also added the assist / 911 mirror. Some one stated on here that this is the antenna, i do not believe it is, there is a post on this site and also a video on the oem nav site which shows a third antenna wire on the back of the radio.
Also on the tech website the sdar antenna in the 3dmodel shows 2 wires coming out of it? Also when I go on the tech site the wiring diagram shows a separate cellular antenna. I believe you would need to add or upgrade the sdar antenna to get this to work.
Also i tried using the buttons even th 911 and connection failed meaning the phone itself cannot connect?
Anyone know?