Ugh - One month in and leaking roof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup - you guys called it right. Third brake light replaced and resealed. The rear seat and carpeting cleaned by the dealer.

I agree, this seems to be a glaring issue. It is either a design flaw or a manufacturing issue, either way, something that should be enough of an issue that Dodge should make a serious effort to address. The service team recognized it immediately, so it isn't a rare event. I do product design and have done product sustaining in a different industry, something like this would light up red flags in our quality organization and be handed to engineering to root cause and manufacturing to resolve very quickly. For my product lines, the only way we WOULDN'T address something like this because we weren't aware of it.

Kudos to the dealership, though. They were complete professionals and handled everything fantastic.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great to know you got to the bottom of it and had a good dealer that treated you right.

joe.murray.735507

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Someone here mentioned the third brake light leaking, I'm thinking that's a real possibility since my brand new 2014 RAM sport had the third brake light burn out just from going though the carwash. It hasn't rained much here in NorCal because we're in a drought but hate to imagine when the drought is over and the skies start opening up.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someone here mentioned the third brake light leaking, I'm thinking that's a real possibility since my brand new 2014 RAM sport had the third brake light burn out just from going though the carwash. It hasn't rained much here in NorCal because we're in a drought but hate to imagine when the drought is over and the skies start opening up.
That is what it was for me... We've had a front come through with a ton of rain with a big drop in temperature, my speculation is that combination is what caused the leak to manifest now and not earlier.

In the realm of great timing, I got my first Ram quality email survey today [emoji1]. I was clear in my feedback that this was very disappointing, especially since the issue is discussed on the forums and the dealership was able to instantly identify what was wrong.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Mine did it as well 2014 reg cab. As as root cause, the gasket is open cell cheap foam, which is not waterproof. Engineering disposition change gasket material to closed cell neoprene or buna problem solved. Wtf is wrong with these idiots at fiat?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Mine did it when I bought mine. I scary part is I'm the 2nd owner and they never got it fixed.

I took mine off and put silicon on it and it's been fine ever since. You could see where the top of the gasket it flatted and worn over time. No way it would seal right.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did it as well 2014 reg cab. As as root cause, the gasket is open cell cheap foam, which is not waterproof. Engineering disposition change gasket material to closed cell neoprene or buna problem solved. Wtf is wrong with these idiots at fiat?
With all the fancy electronic stuff on today's cars and trucks that make me worry about longevity, a cheap gasket material that failed so quickly blows my mind.

Ox69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It happened to me also. It was the 3rd brake light gasket.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
How many years does this issue go back? Anyone with 09-12 have the issue? I have 09 and mine does not seem to leak there but scares me.

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
hahaha mine never leaked till i moved here!! i had water ALL over my back seat on the driver side, i have an appt with my dealer next week to get it fixed, also my third brake light bulb burned out. so I'm guessing i have the same problem.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hahaha mine never leaked till i moved here!! i had water ALL over my back seat on the driver side, i have an appt with my dealer next week to get it fixed, also my third brake light bulb burned out. so I'm guessing i have the same problem.
Sorry you got the leakage too - the dealer will probably have you in and out in under 30 minutes. The more I have thought about this issue the more it annoys me, but that is most likely because it happened so early in my having the truck. No where near as annoying as my Nissan Frontier experience, which was basically right at the 5 year point huge chunks of paint started falling off the whole thing. Obviously something was way wrong, but because it happened literally just a few weeks after the warranty expired, the best Nissan would do was split a portion of a paint job. They are dead to me now...

Sent via Tapatalk

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
Well at least it's getting fixed! Thanks for starting the thread and keeping it updated

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
The 3rd brake light leak happened to my truck last summer. I had some paint issues taken care of under warranty, at the time. The dealership ran my truck through the car wash right before I picked it up. As I was driving home, the EVIC notified me of a bulb out. Upon further inspection, it was a bulb for the 3rd brake light. So, I replaced the bulb (thinking it was a fluke) and didn't do the gasket replacement/silicone fix at the time. About a month later, we had a hellacious rainstorm. Sure enough, the 3rd brake light leaked again. This time there was about an inch of water inside the small storage compartment underneath the back seat. I soaked up the water with towels and left the windows down in my truck for a couple of 90+ degree days. That seems to have done the trick, because there is not a hint of a musty smell inside the cab since.

As far as the light cover, I tore off the old wet, matted down, cheap foam gasket and replaced it with a much thicker, waterproof EPDM from Home Depot. I haven't had an issue since.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
How many years does this issue go back? Anyone with 09-12 have the issue? I have 09 and mine does not seem to leak there but scares me.

I think even the 3rd gens have this problem.

My 09 leaked. I am the 2nd owner also.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think even the 3rd gens have this problem.

My 09 leaked. I am the 2nd owner also.
Thanks that is what I was curious of. We don't have a ton of rain here maybe that is why mine has not leaked there. The corners leak for sure under high pressure like some carwashs and I hate that.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Crap I thought I had escaped this but my '13 developed this tonight. Guess I'll grab some butyl and fix it up.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ammo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Got home last night after spending a few days out on the bike in Corpus with the wife. I jumped in the truck to run to the store and wow it smelled bad. Upon searching I found the back seats and carpet were wet. Just left the dealership minutes ago after showing them, there are 4 other trucks with the same issue that have initiated claims for repairs. I won't know anything until Monday but I'm not happy the truck isn't even a year old yet. Told them I want it all replaced we'll see what happens.

For as many years as this has apparently been going on one would think that Chrysler would have this issue resolved.