Up-Shifting problem! Help?... :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a manual 2002 Ram and it runs good and all, Dad just had a new transmission put in a year or so ago before he gave it to me. Ive had the truck since i started learning how to drive stick...So its had its share of grinding gears and rough shifts. But basically when i go to upshift into 2nd it doesnt immediately let me. I have to wait 3 seconds and then it lets me in. Same as i go into 3rd. 4th and 5th(Though 4th and 5th arent AS bad..) Its is very strange, maybe it has always been like this and i am just being weird...but i dont think so. I thought i could go straight from 1st to 2nd to 3rd quickly with no hesitation. It used to just slide in. not anymore, it is almost like there is a wall there. Something blocking it. or it is having trouble finding the gear or something. And if i don't wait that 3 seconds (literally 3!!) and i TRY to push it, it makes that nasty grinding metal on metal sound. and then itll let me in after 3 secs.. but by the time i get in the next gear, my rpms are so low, it slowly bogs till i get going or i have to downshift (especially uphills). The other day when i was driving i was hearing some odd sounds down below, then i noticed the problem. So maybe something happened ? :( Y'all know more than me! Got any ideas or any place to start? What it could be or what i can do to find out? Because this isnt normal.. thanks!

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
damn Not sure, assuming clutch was around the same time. Ill have to ask. and pressure plate? I doubt that too lol.

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You think that could be the problem? Thinkin about it, it has been getting really hard to throw it in gear now. Id have to play with it to get it in gear sometimes, esp reverse. And use more force than when i started driving.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, you can see if the clutch pedal itself has any play and try and adjust it, if you can. Check and make sure there is sufficient fluid in the reservoir too. But definitely try and see when the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing was replaced last.

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Alright i will do. Thanks! Ya, from the looks of it the clutch pedal has no play, but i will check fluids later and I asked my dad and he said the clutch and plate were replaced 3-4 years ago. Sounds fairly new.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on how it's driven...a clutch can last from 50,000 miles to the life of the truck, but it all depends on how it's used and driven. Quite honestly, if the trans was put in a year ago, I dont see why the clutch wasn't replaced while the trans was out. I still suspect clutch...if it isnt that, start looking at synchronizers and stuff.