Upgraded sway bars worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Im looking into maybe getting some Hellwig sway bars. Pretty much sold on the rear because I haul material, tools, and tow from time to time. Is the front one worth it?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Most definitely. The rear is a must, the front is also a big upgrade in corner handling at speed, body roll is still significant even with the rear sway bar upgraded.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
The rear will do more than the front. The front hellwig is not much bigger than stock.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rear will do more than the front. The front hellwig is not much bigger than stock.

It is not the size that matters in this case, and this case only! ;)

The most dramatic difference between the factory and the Hellwig bar is the stiffness of the steel. Hellwig = 4140 chromoly, vs. factory = steel tubing.

Read this thread, I did more or less a side by side (to the extent that is possible with one truck, lol) comparison and the Hellwig is very worthy upgrade!

http://www.ramforum.com/f39/hellwig_front_sway_bar_review_-_worth_not-70367/

Edit: If you only add one in the rear and not the front or vise versa, you might feel a lopsided effect when cornering fast... Due to end link issues, I am currently running factory sway bar in front and Hellwig in rear. When I corner I have this feeling that my front is dipping and spongy on the outside corner, but my rear is still planted solid. Sorry it's hard to explain...

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The most dramatic difference between the factory and the Hellwig bar is the stiffness of the steel. Hellwig = 4140 chromoly, vs. factory = steel tubing.

Read this thread, I did more or less a side by side (to the extent that is possible with one truck, lol) comparison and the Hellwig is very worthy upgrade!

Edit: If you only add one in the rear and not the front or vise versa, you might feel a lopsided effect when cornering fast... Due to end link issues, I am currently running factory sway bar in front and Hellwig in rear. When I corner I have this feeling that my front is dipping and spongy on the outside corner, but my rear is still planted solid. Sorry it's hard to explain...

Probably have a little understeer, so getting the front bar on will bring it back to neatural.

My buddy just has the rear bar doesn't experience this but Im pretty sure he hasn't taking curves like you have in Cali. lol

I had a similar issue with my grand prix.
Stock they have a some understeer built into the suspension so when I added my rear BMR bar is became neutral. When I added the front Police Impala bar I had a little understeer again. Ofcourse it's manageable though especially with my 245/40s

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From having both on my truck, I suggest both front and rear, makes a very crisp ride and cornering too, and I push my truck hard in corners, must be a Cali thing. :roflsquared:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats about the only thing good in cali is the roads...lol

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats about the only thing good in cali is the roads...lol

Yeah.... no

For somewhere that almost never gets inclement weather, our roads are terrible.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah.... no

Would be good and fun if all our tax $$$$ didn't go to all the politicals...

anytime I bring up moving to the GF I get a instant response of "WERE NOT MOVING!!!!" so I at least got her to agree to better suspension on the cars lol :roflsquared:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah.... no

Well my parents live in Orange county and there pretty damn nice to me. lol

What hate is all ******** stop lights, I feel like everytime you get up to speed you gotta stop again. :flipthebird:

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
and here i thought my OEM ram

rides like a cadillac vs any other truck ive ever been in

not really sure going fast around corners....... in a truck, is really all that enjoyable, there are better faster and more fun toys to do that with.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
Can the Hellwig bars be installed on a truck at stock height? The description makes it seems like you need a 2"-4" lift for them to work.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
and here i thought my OEM ram

rides like a cadillac vs any other truck ive ever been in

not really sure going fast around corners....... in a truck, is really all that enjoyable, there are better faster and more fun toys to do that with.

I autocross my quad cab 4x4 and drive aggressively through mountain roads; lots of fun as the driver and being able to pull away in the corners from the guys in my car club is worth it to me. Most people think my truck is a rough ride, which it is, since it's now a performance tuned suspension but I wouldn't have it any other way.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so, since i have a 4x4, i cant upgrade the front? I see nothing for 4x4's.....

If i do the rear, than the front will remain stock and i'll more than likely notice an un-even ride ( squishy front and stiffer rear ) when i take spirited turns or carry a load in the bed?

does anybody make a sway bar for the front 4x4's? If not, why?

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
so, since i have a 4x4, i cant upgrade the front? I see nothing for 4x4's.....

If i do the rear, than the front will remain stock and i'll more than likely notice an un-even ride ( squishy front and stiffer rear ) when i take spirited turns or carry a load in the bed?

does anybody make a sway bar for the front 4x4's? If not, why?

ADDCO makes a front upgrade for the 4wd front sway bar; it's on backorder until October though, I've been waiting 2 months for it already, after talking to them they only do one run of the 1500 fronts every year since it's not a great seller.

The front bar is quite stout as it is so it's not as noticeable like the 2wds and a lot of 4wd people want the ability to flex which you can't do with a sway bar, but that's why there are sway bar disconnects.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ADDCO makes a front upgrade for the 4wd front sway bar; it's on backorder until October though, I've been waiting 2 months for it already, after talking to them they only do one run of the 1500 fronts every year since it's not a great seller.

The front bar is quite stout as it is so it's not as noticeable like the 2wds and a lot of 4wd people want the ability to flex which you can't do with a sway bar, but that's why there are sway bar disconnects.

Hmmmm, didn't think about the front end and its ability to flex with 4x4. I get it now that I think about it.

I for one do almost zero off roading. Occasional beach ride, but I only have a 4x4 for inclement north east winters.

Curious to know anybody else who has an upgraded sway bar in the front of their 4x4 or like you said, should I even bother considering an upgraded front bar and just do the rear.....

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Its called understeer - when the front pushes through a turn. and when your rear slides out in a turn its called oversteer. Understeer is the number one reason why people crash going too fast into a turn in a stock vehicle, on top of that they mash the brakes increasing the "push" ten fold.

Also a general rule of thumb with sway bars is you want a stiffer one up front than in the rear, you want a little oversteer as its easier to control. and there is a huge difference in solid or hollow, diameter means nothing if you're comparing the two.