Upgrading bulbs, finding things I don't like

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I am in the process of upgrading the stock halogen bulbs to Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra which I have had in my previous 2 trucks. I won't do LED's as I find many just blast out light and can blind oncoming traffic, but in the process of working over an hour and a half I finally got the curb side headlight out (with the help of my wifes small hands) and in the process of removing the stock bulbs I find the bulbs are not "snug" in the housing, but just a tad on the loose side. I reinserted the stock bulb and found the same feeling, not a snug fit. It might be that the rear cover for each bulb may hold them in tighter but I have never ran across that before.
Then it was on to the fog lights, vertical in my truck and I find the light housing itself has some movement in it. Its not a secure solid fit to the bracket it sits in. I see it is adjustable but my thinking is there may be vibration because it is not a solidly mounted on the rear of the bumper.
Being new to Mopar I hope I am not the only one seeing this issue.
Has anyone else noticed what I am describing?
BTW

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have not seen the issue you describe on the factory projectors on my '14.

On the foglights, is the entire housing loose against the bumper or is the inner piece loose in the outer framework? The former isn't normal but should be fixable by tightening the bolts that hold them on. The latter seems to be normal. I had to drill the outer brackets on mine out to install Morimoto LED fogs and when I did I made sure that they fit much tighter.

-K

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This video explains why led lights blind oncoming traffic. It's a very good video.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have not seen the issue you describe on the factory projectors on my '14.

On the foglights, is the entire housing loose against the bumper or is the inner piece loose in the outer framework?

The frame of the fog lights seems tight but the housing itself is loose on the bottoms as if they are free to adjust up. They are both that way so it must be the way they are designed.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
This video explains why led lights blind oncoming traffic. It's a very good video.

I must agree. Especially the cheaper LED bulbs. I won't use them for headlights or fog lights. They just blast out light and there is no cut off.
I have been very pleased with the Crystal Vision Ultras and finally got the 3 pairs install.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The frame of the fog lights seems tight but the housing itself is loose on the bottoms as if they are free to adjust up. They are both that way so it must be the way they are designed.
The pivot points of the fog lights can loosen up, it's just a molded part of the fog light housing that goes through the metal mounting bracket. The fog light adjustment uses a spring so yes you can wiggle the housing while installing new bulbs.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
ALSO the drivers side headlight housing seemed to hold both the low and high beam bulbs tighter. The car fax was clean so I don't think they ever had to replace the passenger side headlight.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
The pivot points of the fog lights can loosen up, it's just a molded part of the fog light housing that goes through the metal mounting bracket. The fog light adjustment uses a spring so yes you can wiggle the housing while installing new bulbs.

Thanks Crash68, I was not aware of this but seems logical since they are both that loose in the same way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rskew