Upgrading to HID lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Legend05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Hey guys, I am looking to upgrade my lights and I'm doubting of what is the best choice. Someone suggested me using HID lights is better than the others. He gave me this site xenonpro for me to buy. Has someone have other suggestions which you think is better?

JSVT3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm using the Enlight kit with no issues as well. Both seem to be good options.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Highly recommend Jeremy at Retroshop.us as Stimpy said. Also HID's for sure as far as upgrading goes. i would recommend 35W ballasts and not the 50W, 50W youll be stupid bright and burn bulbs out much faster VS 35W. The morimoto HID stuff Jeremy sells is great quality

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Definitely go HIDs due to better light output.

One thing to note...if you don't have projector headlight capsules I'd strongly suggest getting some or having Retroshop upgrade your stock capsules.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Morimoto kit is what I have and it’s the best kit I’ve ever had. When you buy a kit though you’ll want to buy one extra of everything. So 3 ballasts, 3 bulbs, 3 sets or resistors, 3 harnesses. This way if something goes out you don’t have to wait for them to send you your warranty replacement. Plus The rams are a little more difficult to access the lights so it’s better that you only have to take the truck apart once versus taking it apart to find the broken item putting it back together then taking it back apart again when you get the replacement in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ Yep I wouldn’t go the cheap route. I’d stick with theretrofitsource and grab either a set of either profile, Hylux or moromito kits... their customer service is top notch. It’s always a good idea to have an extra bulb, ballast etc even if they’re some cheap Chinese crap as spares left in the glovebox just in case. I do this to every car or truck I have ran hids on..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go HIDS

we offer Morimoto and they have a moose specific kit. Let us know if we can help you. We offer discounts to the members here

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Morimoto for me... i love it

jzales

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running the DDM Plus Canbus kit on both my 17 Ram 1500 and my wifes 15 Edge. Have not had any issues with etiher vehicle in over 1 year of operation. Only downside is it ships from China and takes 2 weeks or so to get. Good thing is that it's plug and play with no additional wiring needed.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Xenondepot has nice plug n play HID kits

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DDM tuning 6k Hid in my quad headlights and fog lights. Love them

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DDM tuning 6k Hid in my quad headlights and fog lights. Love them

Did you need to put anything extra into the lights to get no error messages? I have used DDM tuning in the past for other cars than a ram. I am reading about all kinds of error codes in the 17 rams.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Honestly the DDM stuff is maybe what I would consider OK for cheap. I've used their ballasts plenty of times for various things, but the bulbs are always off in the output(Every set has had some horrible green or otherwise unsavory tinge to it and they're probably cooking your housings with poorly filtered UV) and the ballasts are slow to ignite/warm up. I have quite a few of the DDM plus canbus ballasts in my spare's box(decent cheapo spares) and while they work on the ram without any harnesses, I would use something better.

The Hylux 2A88 canbus ballast, for example, has a much faster warm up and is definitely running truer to 35watts driving the same morimoto bulbs(Warmer color temp and more output than the DDM stuff in A/B testing). That being said I only tested that ballast on my '17 Challenger so I can't say with certainty that it will work on the Ram's without issues. I still have a few of those I keep for backups or if I need to do a PNP on a vehicle that has decent projectors for friends/family.

If you have quads I would honestly suggest a good LED low beam such as the Xenon depot with the new Phillips LED's or the supernova v.3 LED bulb (Similar Phillips LEDs). In my experience with my truck trying numerous bulbs/bulb types you will get a much better, usable beam pattern with good LED bulbs over H11 HID's and people won't hate you nearly as much with the glare. If you have the projector housings then by all means go HID as it will give you more output, but will not be on par with a true HID projector. In the projectors I would spend the extra cash for the Morimoto harness/ballast/bulb kit and they work pretty damn well in my Challenger projectors (Stepped up to XB55's so more non relay usage) as well as in Ram's I have seen in person with OE projectors.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a set of quads with D2S 4.0 projectors retrofitted in them from Retroshop myself. If you want decent usable HID's an OK projector is a must and a good projector will make you wonder why you ever used anything else.

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you need to put anything extra into the lights to get no error messages? I have used DDM tuning in the past for other cars than a ram. I am reading about all kinds of error codes in the 17 rams.

I bought them through Amazon, they make a particular kit for our trucks that includes the canbus system. Still all plug and play, they just added an extra box by the ballast to correct the error. Great kit, and worked flawless.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve used a whacklod of different HID kits over the last 8-10 years, around 15 different kits. IMO - the high end Morimoto ballast **** the bed after 9 months. I’ve also had relatively good success running vvme.com and DDM kits and are dirt cheap. I would agree with one of the first comments, buy extra components incase you have a failure you’ll be able to get up and running immediately. I will be trying the DDM Ultra Canbus kit for the late model Rams for my ‘17 Laramie. $80-$90 kit shipped.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill get on the contact Jeremy bandwagon. I havent even made a purchase yet and hes been more helpful than any company ive ever worked with.