UPS RANT!...Help me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Even if it was insured, they will try and claim 'improper packaging' to get out of paying.

I know of plenty of people who have been ripped off that way, yet the 'packaging' they used is exactly what the maker used when it was shipped out new.

I mean how do you break a fishing rod that is shipped inside a sch 40 PVC pipe ? or a SS propeller ?

It was pretty obvious to me they ran over it with a forklift (tire marks on it) but they still tried to claim improper packaging.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
powder coat should be from $50-80 PER rim. At least in that ball park depending on the shop and the are you live in. I would not do anything with the rims till things are finalized with UPS. Might not hurt to make them aware of this thread. I would assume its hard to "prove" shipping did it....BUT OH DEAR GOD ITS SO OBVIOUS SHIPPING DID IT.

Good luck brother

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's a cut & paste from another site about a prop that was shipped and damaged in transit....

#7 Today, 01:21 PM Usps sucks
Hate to break it to you Mike,your SCREWED...they will not PAY OUT..I bought a 26 Tempest from a member in Texas,that just been B&Bd by Steves..It was insured for 300.00..was delivered when I wasn't HOME!!!!?? One blade was sticking out, and box was badly deformed,weak box. I took pics expecting the worst, opened & one blade was slightly bent and there were FOUR bottles of AFRO gel SHEEN hair treatment, don't laugh,, in it..It had came through a hub in Cincinnati, evidently when they dropped it, there were more boxes tore opened and they just picked up what ever they thought might have fallen out. Turned in a claim with them, with pics of afro sheen bottles also, waited 40 some days, received a letter that stated that package was poorly wrapped sorry bout your bad luck..I had only used Mark's before..I shipped it too Mark to fix it. It will look better than new and perform better also, wait til you see how he ships, and only use UPS!! as he does..

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Thanks guys...this is my fear, that they are going to try and say it didnt happen during shipping. I have no way of proving it because I wasnt there. All I have is before and after pictures. I think im screwed, and there is no telling when they will send this rep out. I think Ill just wait to hear from them! Maybe Ill just have to mount them as is, if they dont cover it and fixing it may be costly!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
so were they shipped with insurance? Also i believe ups automatically insures up to $100 so at the very least they should be giving you that. Also there has to be damage to the boxes that match the damage to the wheels to use in your favor

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
He didnt put on extra insurance, but they stated they insure up to $100 per package. So that should be $200 to me for the two damaged wheels. There is damage on the boxes where the damage to the wheels happened. And I took pics, but how are they going to know im telling the truth ya know. For all they know I did it. I took the wheels out of the boxes to inspect further so they have already been removed from the boxes.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
yea unfortunately it would have been better to not open the boxes when you saw they were damamged and called ups right away

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Well im my defense I couldnt tell the wheels were damaged just looking at the boxes. I saw the bubble wrap, the boxes looked kinda beat up but since the bubble wrap was there I thought Id be ok. I didnt see the damage untill I opened the boxes. From now on im not signing for packages untill I open it infront of them to inspect for damage.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, so I used to work for one of the big transportation companies....not UPS...the other one. Here is what you can likely expect from UPS.

"Claim will not be paid due to poor packaging" they basically say that all shipments have to be able to take a 3 ft fall in case they fall off of a conveyor belt which sometimes happens...then they are not on the hook for anything.

If they do honor the claim and no extra insurance...well I see you know what that means from the posts above...good luck man, hope it works out for ya.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I swear UPS is the worst at handling packages. We get stuff shipped at work both UPS and FedEX...and the UPS stuff way more often shows up like the packages were tossed and dropped along the way.

I hope they give you something, but I'd definitely plan for the worst. If you don't want to pay to have them completely re-powedercoated (which I don't blame you), I'd try hitting those area's with Plasti-Dip. It won't look as good as the powdercoat, but will look better than the bare chrome. The Plasti-Dip will hold up fairly well to the road chips too if you put 5-6 coats on.

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Thanks for the pointers guys..thats what I was thinking, that they are going to try to claim improper packaging so they can save face. Will plasti dip match ok in color? I know like you said its better than seeing the chips/chrome. Where is plasti dip sold? Auto Zone, Lowes Home Improvement??

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
plasti did can be bought at lowes or Home Depot.

it will probably be your best match because its flat black. Don't give up all hope, give UPS a chance to make things right...LOL

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I know I know haha...they are supposed to call me today. Just trying to not get my hopes to much up lol..just incase

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Ok well I called some powdercoating companies in my area today, just to get some quotes and ideas on pricing. Its going to cost roughly $150-$400, depending on if they can just fix the two damaged wheels and match the paint of the good ones or if they have to re-due them all it will be closer to that $400 price.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i hate ups. if i can i always use fedex. they seem to give a **** just a bit more. plus it seems like packages are always a little quicker.

sorry about your wheels. hopefully they will make it right.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
JJ bought used rims with chips and defects. I think he just painted over the spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I bought them with 100 miles on them. When they arrived, the center caps, spacers and lug nuts where gone. The shipper taped them inside one wheel, and then taped cardboard over them. The cardboard fell off in shipping, so my stuff went with it.

I had a small nick on one of the wheels, nothing crazy - I touched it up and if you didn't it, you'd probably never see it.

With the shipper on this one - only 1 wheel was damaged. it was going to have to go back to the shipper's local depot for inspection. Takes a while........and if they said "poor packaging", then..........well, the shipper has to send me the last one on his dime again. We came to an agreement on a price, both walked away happy.

"Claim will not be paid due to poor packaging" they basically say that all shipments have to be able to take a 3 ft fall in case they fall off of a conveyor belt which sometimes happens...then they are not on the hook for anything.

If they do honor the claim and no extra insurance...well I see you know what that means from the posts above...good luck man, hope it works out for ya.

I was waiting for someone to mention this.

I've had a handful of claims on lights. I get quite a few cores back..........well, some get broke. Sucks! Some come in with no bubble wrap. :killer: I know those won't get covered. Some look great, but we are dealing with a LOT of people throwing our packages around. **** happens........

The only way to really ensure that they don't get screwed up is double boxing, padding out the ass and more cardboard inside. And, always go for more insurance...........the standard $100 doesn't cover jack nowadays.

Good luck to ya!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Really sucks man
I shipped a body panel before, padded the **** out of it and took it to ups to ship
They told me the only way they could insure the package was if they package the item themselves

My brother had the same situation happen to him, probably worse actually
He bought a set of rousch trak pack wheels for his car (~$650 a wheel with tpms)
All 4 had damage to the powder coat and the center caps (~$27) we're missing
UPS did nothing for him

His wheels are hyper black which is a dark gun metal grey, he got a duplicolor perfect match touch up pen in a ford mineral gray and touched them
Like JJs, if you didn't know, you aren't going to

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Im thinking about what was brought up before, If they dont cover the claim..just covering up the nicks with plasti dip. That way it looks better than this. Run these wheels for now and maybe just selling them sometime down the road or get them re-powder coated. Oh well s*** happens...guess im not meant to have wheels and tires. And to add icing on the cake, my tires werent shipped on yesterdays truck via Discount Tire so now Ill have to wait until tuesday. They forgot to put them on the truck, seriously???????????????

srqFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've got time stamped before pictures right before I put them in boxes and wrapped them.
I'm ******* more pissed off then you are, you would think after their ******** incident that got to the media of the UPS guy throwing a box over a fence (caught on video) would make them extra careful.

Anyway, it's clear that it happened in shipping, the boxes they were shipped in were boxes that manufactures use to ship wheels all over the country.

Just let me know what happens. And remember. NEVER USE UPS.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I think that was FedEx in that vid. Or, both - you know all them dudes do it. LOL