VIN Verification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMI R/T 14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello. I am looking to purchase a new 2014 R/T RCSB and was just curious if the VIN on a RAM truck will verify whether the truck is indeed a particular trim level from the factory (R/T, Sport, SLT, Express, or Tradesman). I ask because I've seen a few brand new Express (and even Tradesman) being advertised with the upper trim level hood, wheels, etc., on them. They are being sold as "Express" and are probably dressed up by the dealers, but I just want to make sure I get a genuine R/T if paying for one.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to joining in more discussions on this forum.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any 3.92 geared truck could be a genuine R/T with the addition of the right 22" wheels now. You could potentially save yourself some money.

OP
OP
HEMI R/T 14

HEMI R/T 14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any 3.92 geared truck could be a genuine R/T with the addition of the right 22" wheels now. You could potentially save yourself some money.

That's kinda what I'm worried about. Technically, the R/T is a package available only on the Sport, at least according to the documentation in the factory brochure. So would any 1500 with a 3.92 and Torqueflite 8 (both available on any 1500 except the HFE) and R/T parts bolted onto it really be a genuine R/T? I’d prefer to have the real deal and don’t want to get duped into buying a Tradesman or Express (both nice trucks, mind you) for the price of an R/T.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you buying a used 2014?
If it's new, the window sticker will indicate if it's an R/T or not.

OP
OP
HEMI R/T 14

HEMI R/T 14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Are you buying a used 2014?
If it's new, the window sticker will indicate if it's an R/T or not.

New. Good to know - thanks! I haven't looked at one in person yet, just doing some online searching of dealership inventories.

I think I may have found one today. I just received a data sheet in the email from a salesperson on a black R/T. At the top it says "Sport." All of the R/T parts are listed as included, except the badge - LOL. I'll get some photos of it as soon as I can as all they had online were generic stock photos.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If I'm not mistaken the r/t comes with 4.10 gears and a higher stall converter

OP
OP
HEMI R/T 14

HEMI R/T 14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I think they may have in the past, along with the 6-speed automatic. Now they come standard with the 8-speed and 3.92s.

nolimits76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI, I have a Sport w/ the 8-speed and 3.92 gears -- very nice combo IMO. Been very satisfied.

When shopping I'm trying to think of other visual cues that might help you. I don't recall seeing any Express or Tradesman with the "captain chair center console" setup like the Sport/RT has. Also, it seems all the other front grilles & bumpers along with rear bumpers were chrome vs being painted.

OP
OP
HEMI R/T 14

HEMI R/T 14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I plugged the VIN for this black R/T into the Dodge link above and neither that nor the window sticker say "R/T." Both say "Sport" and then show all the R/T parts listed as included. So, I'm guessing Dodge didn't designate anything in the VIN specific to R/T Rams.

Good point, nolimits76... throwing on a different hood and wheels is one thing, but swapping all the interior parts from a Sport into another 1500 would be too much work. Thanks for the help!

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FYI, I have a Sport w/ the 8-speed and 3.92 gears -- very nice combo IMO. Been very satisfied.

When shopping I'm trying to think of other visual cues that might help you. I don't recall seeing any Express or Tradesman with the "captain chair center console" setup like the Sport/RT has. Also, it seems all the other front grilles & bumpers along with rear bumpers were chrome vs being painted.

my 14 express has paint matched grill and bumpers.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my 2012 truck it was a "SLT " but under packages it was a "Big Horn".

The RT will be part of a package, but check to make sure that it's a higher package. Express and tradesman are the lower end. SLT and SPORT are the middle section. I'm willing to bet that the RT is under the SPORT setup. Then you have your upper tiers like the LARAMIE and LONGHORN.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Until '13, you're correct. For '14+, it's just an appearance package :-(
A modified Express to look like an R/T would be lighter, cheaper than a "factory R/T" as there's nothing mechanical different anyway.

OP
OP
HEMI R/T 14

HEMI R/T 14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
From what I'm reading in the dealership brochure, you guys are correct about the different trim levels. The R/T has, indeed, become an appearance package to the Sport. While the appearance parts are cool, they should give us the 392 too! :naughty:

Upgrading the Express is a good option. I actually began my search by looking for an Express with the Torqueflite 8 and 3.92s; found a really nice white one too, but was given the option to look into the R/T by my boss (it's a company truck). Kinda hard to say no to that. The decision between the two, believe it or not, was whether or not I could live with a center console as I have three kids. I rarely have more than one of them with me at a time since the wife does the majority of the family taxi servicing. We'll make it work.

BTW, both of my other cars are lower trim levels that I've upgraded to sort of replicate their counterpart upper trim levels. The truck I'm trading in for the Ram is a 2003 Ford F-150 XLT with the same body as a Lightning. It has a 5.4 with aftermarket supercharger and Ford SVT wheels - slightly quicker than a stock Lightning and corners like no other truck I've ever been in. I'm going to miss it... a little. My other car is a 1972 Buick Skylark that originally came with a 350. I've swapped out the 350 for a 455, good for mid 12 second quarter miles at around 110MPH (500 horse 550 foot pounds of torque). But neither of them have the upper trim level appearance parts (aside from the SVT wheels which were mainly for better tires).

Hopefully, the next photo I upload will be a black Ram R/T. :)

Attachments

• bjf15008b.jpg
    bjf15008b.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 28
  • bjf15009b.jpg
    bjf15009b.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_3763 S.jpg
    100_3763 S.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 28
  • lark01s.jpg
    lark01s.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 25
  • lark03s.jpg
    lark03s.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 32

Fullmetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good luck with the R/T! I ended up with a Quad sport and love it but I would have gotten the R/T but I need the Quad to have my son the back.

OP
OP
HEMI R/T 14

HEMI R/T 14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pulled the trigger! Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• IMG_4825 S.jpg
    IMG_4825 S.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 27

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on your purchase!!! I bought my 2014 R/T less than two weeks ago. For others considering the same as you prior to your purchase, my window sticker shows "Ram 1500 R/T Reg Cab 4X2" at the top.

jlis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That is definitely a 2014 R/T - Congratulations...very nice!!!

Please sell me your 22" rims...:)