Weird idle and surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Yo dudes. I recently replaced my tps with the Mopar part (had some ***** Napa part in there). What was happening, it's it would start fine, but if left to idle, after 2-5 minutes, it would start to idle down and then sound as if it were trying to die (actually sounded kinda like a cigarette boat engine) for about 3-7 minutes (if left to itself). During this time, it would try to compensate for the loss idle, revving itself up but then dying back down again. After 3-7 minutes of yous, it would finally reach proper idle speed (although it would waver some), and would run fine until I shut out off. When I'd start again, the same thing would happen (to me suggesting that out has nothing to do with the engine being cold). If I just got in and drove (not waiting for it to do its little skit), it would buck and surge under throttle until I got into second gear (5 speed nv3500) and floored it till close to redline (I'm guessing as I still don't have a tach).
So I replaced the Napa tps with a Mopar part, and it was fine the first time I fired it up. And then started with this crap again. Other things I've done are;
Fixed plenum
New IAC (damaged original when doing plenum)
New map sensor
New cap and rotor (was waiting on plus/wires because I was strapped for cash at the time)
New downstream O2 sensor

I think it's electrical/fuel related, but I'm at a loss add to what specifically, especially because of how it goes away after a (mostly) consistent amount of time, or doing something specific.

Any thoughts?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You've made no mention of if you've reset the PCM after all this.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
I have, every time.
I installed a Mopar tps, no problem the first drive, then back to these shenanigans.
Crawled under her this last weekend to replace the throw out bearing, and in moving the exhaust out of the way, we realized that there's a ton of it rusted out between the muffler and cat. My dad thinks that's a pretty likely cause, I'm not as convinced but now I need a new exhaust anyways.

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
How old are those wires? Might be getting arching or cross talk.

OP
OP
ADudeOnSkis

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Not sure. Planning on replacing them with MSD 8.5mm next payday. I did however route them properly.

RAMsport2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the exact same issue, plus and wires (oem) make it a little better. I have heard that I can be the fuel pump.

RAMsport2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yo dudes. I recently replaced my tps with the Mopar part (had some ***** Napa part in there). What was happening, it's it would start fine, but if left to idle, after 2-5 minutes, it would start to idle down and then sound as if it were trying to die (actually sounded kinda like a cigarette boat engine) for about 3-7 minutes (if left to itself). During this time, it would try to compensate for the loss idle, revving itself up but then dying back down again. After 3-7 minutes of yous, it would finally reach proper idle speed (although it would waver some), and would run fine until I shut out off. When I'd start again, the same thing would happen (to me suggesting that out has nothing to do with the engine being cold). If I just got in and drove (not waiting for it to do its little skit), it would buck and surge under throttle until I got into second gear (5 speed nv3500) and floored it till close to redline (I'm guessing as I still don't have a tach).
So I replaced the Napa tps with a Mopar part, and it was fine the first time I fired it up. And then started with this crap again. Other things I've done are;
Fixed plenum
New IAC (damaged original when doing plenum)
New map sensor
New cap and rotor (was waiting on plus/wires because I was strapped for cash at the time)
New downstream O2 sensor

I think it's electrical/fuel related, but I'm at a loss add to what specifically, especially because of how it goes away after a (mostly) consistent amount of time, or doing something specific.

Any thoughts?[/QUO

any update?