Weird thing happend today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram sport 4x4 crew
Engine
hemi 5.7
so i was driving up my hill....and was just messing around with my girlfriend...well as i was going up hill i let off the gas and just coasted downhill a little bit...maybe a couple feet, and my truck randomly turned off while i was in drive??? ive never ever herd of this before? any thoughts??

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
so i was driving up my hill....and was just messing around with my girlfriend...well as i was going up hill i let off the gas and just coasted downhill a little bit...maybe a couple feet, and my truck randomly turned off while i was in drive??? ive never ever herd of this before? any thoughts??

perhaps someone kicked something? :love51:

definitely weird, unless your ram is really a chevy, they do that

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You had to go to Neutral, and turn the key to re-start?

That is weird indeed.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Same thing happened to me but I was mudding haha. I got stuck and was not flooring it but giving it gas and once I released off the gas pedal the truck turned itself off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truck was telling you not to mess with girlfriend while driving!!!!
Jay

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
indeed hahaha SERIOUSLY don't know why it did that...wondering if i should contact the dealership about it.....seems kinda serious that my vehicle randomly shut off...kinda dangerous...

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ill re apply this....when my truck turned off, i was indrive..D ( also had my foot on the break as i was coasting down and my girlfriend noticed my truck was completely off, as she didn't hear my super 40 flowmaster ;), but back to this...YEAH i just simply put it in park while it was off, and switched the key back to ACC , then turned her on....really weird.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
ill re apply this....when my truck turned off, i was indrive..D ( also had my foot on the break as i was coasting down and my girlfriend noticed my truck was completely off, as she didn't hear my super 40 flowmaster ;), but back to this...YEAH i just simply put it in park while it was off, and switched the key back to ACC , then turned her on....really weird.

Turned who on? The truck or the girl?

:laughing1:

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Turned who on? The truck or the girl?

:laughing1:

she loves his fast and furious moves.

jokes aside, you could have the dealer check out all the connections but they'll probably charge you a diagnostic fee..and you know the truck won't do it while a tech drives it.

"could not reproduce"

I'd have it checked out by an independent shop that won't take half your paycheque just to look at your truck.

oesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Automatics can stall rolling back significantly in forward gear. I've had it happen a few times in various cars. I don't think anything is particularly wrong with your car, at least not based on this happening.

It's just what happens when you put a load on the engine that it can't sustain without stalling. You have to remember that being at a stop in drive, is not the same thing as being at a stop in 1st with the clutch pedal engaged. Your car is still in gear and it is still trying to go foward and transfer the load from the engine to the transmission. You would actually have less load on the engine in neutral.

So now when you're on a big hill, the load your engine is sending through your torque converter can't overcome the hill's gradient, the car rolls backwards, turning your wheels the wrong way and putting even more load on the engine via the transmission and torque converter than you would at a stop. So the engine stalls from that load, just like it would if you didn't have enough revs/momentum in a manual to sustain the load created by dumping the clutch. You could even out-brake your torque converter and stall an automatic in some circumstances. That's similar to spinning out or braking too fast in a manual and being unable to hit the clutch fast enough to keep the engine from stalling, similar idea but with the TC lock/unlock.

Engines in automatics can stall just like any other combustion engine, so there's not very much mystery. However I can see how it's super counter intuitive, since most automatic drivers never experience a stall, so the first thought is "OMG I broke the car". In reality once you break it down to the mechanics at play you can see why it's possible to stall an automatic.

Same thing happened to me but I was mudding haha. I got stuck and was not flooring it but giving it gas and once I released off the gas pedal the truck turned itself off.

Similar to the out-braking scenario. Your TC was locked up as you were spinning your tires and then you let off the gas and they rapidly slowed down before the TC could unlock. Load back to the engine and it stalled.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Automatics can stall rolling back significantly in forward gear. I've had it happen a few times in various cars. I don't think anything is particularly wrong with your car, at least not based on this happening.

It's just what happens when you put a load on the engine that it can't sustain without stalling. You have to remember that being at a stop in drive, is not the same thing as being at a stop in 1st with the clutch pedal engaged. Your car is still in gear and it is still trying to go foward and transfer the load from the engine to the transmission. You would actually have less load on the engine in neutral.

So now when you're on a big hill, the load your engine is sending through your torque converter can't overcome the hill's gradient, the car rolls backwards, turning your wheels the wrong way and putting even more load on the engine via the transmission and torque converter than you would at a stop. So the engine stalls from that load, just like it would if you didn't have enough revs/momentum in a manual to sustain the load created by dumping the clutch. You could even out-brake your torque converter and stall an automatic in some circumstances. That's similar to spinning out or braking too fast in a manual and being unable to hit the clutch fast enough to keep the engine from stalling, similar idea but with the TC lock/unlock.

Engines in automatics can stall just like any other combustion engine, so there's not very much mystery. However I can see how it's super counter intuitive, since most automatic drivers never experience a stall, so the first thought is "OMG I broke the car". In reality once you break it down to the mechanics at play you can see why it's possible to stall an automatic.

Similar to the out-braking scenario. Your TC was locked up as you were spinning your tires and then you let off the gas and they rapidly slowed down before the TC could unlock. Load back to the engine and it stalled.

I'm printing this out and hanging it over my bed.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
THANKYOU lol! :)

Lhillco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did it ever do this again, did you find the problem, my 2014 is doing this thanks

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you sure you two don't have the same girl friend???? :naughty::naughty:
Jay

xrsman

Reaction score