What Alarms Do You All Have-And Recommend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm thinking of picking one up with remote start.
So I'm just wondering which one do you all have and recommend.

I would like everybody's input 2nd,3rd, and 4th gen Rams Please.

Thanks in advanced.

GatorHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excaliber 1850, was able to configure it with Factory Key FOB and Factory Alarm and Remote Start. The Alarm and installation was $300

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good Question - I have always run alarms but with the new truck having the "Key" as the fob I haven't been sure what to get. My truck already has the factory alarm, (which I guess is just doors) keyless entry and remote start so I don't want to carry a 2nd Fob on the Key Fob that does the same thing. I miss the roll up window feature that I had previously too. I think Ram should have this with the uconnect from the phone.

Anyway - I'll be watching:fish_h4h:

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So far all I have is the factory alarm, but I have been thinking about upgrading as well.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Really can't go wrong with Viper. They've been around forever!

"protected by Viper, STAND BACK"

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the one Ive been thinking of getting. Just dont know what to do installation wise...

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really can't go wrong with Viper. They've been around forever!

"protected by Viper, STAND BACK"

hahahaha - I remember when that first talking one came out. ARound here after people got irritated with it, it actually caused vandalism :nutkick:

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I had the mopar alarm long time ago. But I learned in 2006 that it sucked. Why do you ask well some thieves stole my truck. Luckily a coworker saw them and gave chase. Didn't catch them but it did ***** them enough to dump my truck down the road.

I also had an audiovox but had to have it removed because it was giving me problems also. Not sure if it was because the installer screwed the instal up or the alarm itself.

So going to consider all my choices here.

Thank you everybody.
Please keep posting though. Hopefully this thread can help not just me but everybody else who's looking.

70x7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have just a simple Viper alarm. I wanted the remote start but didn't want to pay the extra 200 for it so I just went basic...250 installed for the one I got

sent from Galaxy note 2

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
DEI has some good choices..

I run the Viper 5902 2 way pager w/ remote.
[yt]oYOjGLafd68[/yt]

I have the same system and absolutely love it. The remote is rechargeable, the unit is expandable with different accesories and sensors as well. Viper is also the only system ill use for remote start on my manual transmission

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

SilRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I spent 500$ and got a viper 5901 w/ remote start installed about 2 months ago and it was the best thing i have done yet! Not one problem with it, would recommend it to anyone

70x7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ive just got the basic Viper alarm. I figure why spend more for bells and whistles that dont really matter.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
With the newer trucks and their grey key you really do not need an alarm. If someone attempts to steal your truck without the grey correctly programmed key your truck will not go anywhere. But you do have to be careful, if your truck is started without the correct key 3 times then it is completely disabled. Then you will have to go to the dealership and have your truck reprogrammed to new keys. Not cheap at all.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the newer trucks and their grey key you really do not need an alarm. If someone attempts to steal your truck without the grey correctly programmed key your truck will not go anywhere. But you do have to be careful, if your truck is started without the correct key 3 times then it is completely disabled. Then you will have to go to the dealership and have your truck reprogrammed to new keys. Not cheap at all.

I almost never had an alarm because of thief of the vehicle, I always have them for interior thief, people banging or knocking into it, window roll up, door lock unlock, start etc...

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum

What is grey key?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
What is grey key?
On all Crysler vehicles that do not have any type of alarm, or a factory remote they come with a pre-programmed key for the vehicle. With 90% of the Dodge trucks the key is grey. It has a chip inside it that the main computer in the truck senses to allow the truck to be driven. If you use a key that is not programed the truck will start, but if you try to move it the engine dies. And if you do this 3 times you will have to have your truck taken to a dealership and reprogrammed too new keys. Found this out when my dealer told me about it. My neighbor tried it. $500 later he had his truck back and working right. OOps wanted to add this, the sentry key system (that is what it is called and I thank another poster for this info) is an integrated part of the can-bus system.

Last edited: