What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Now that's crazy!!
Tell me about it. On the other hand all I needed to do to add remote start to her car was buy a new hood latch and install (3 bolts) and have new FOBs programmed ($80 at dealer).

Often times these engineering decisions are made when form outweighs function or suits a different function. Do you need to make something easily accessible that only changes once every few years?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Even if it took 40 minutes to change a headlamp bulb, not that big a deal to me since I can count on one hand with fingers to spare of how many times I had to change factory blown bulbs in over 30+ years of vehicle ownership.

Last edited:

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Needs some way to disable the MDS system other than a tuner.

Hate the lag it produces when I hit the gas to pass or merge.

I bought a V8 for a reason and it's not to worry about fuel economy. If I was worried about owning a gas sipper I would have bought a 4 banger.

Not to mention how horrible it sounds when dropping into MDS mode with an aftermarket exhaust.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Yeah I hear you. But 40 min, c'mon. Look at competition:

1) Open Hood
2) Unplug bulb harness from the bulb socket
3) Twist bulb out
4) Replace bulb
5) Plug in bulb harness
6) Close hood

Total time: 90 seconds

True, but then again, that was not to just change a bulb. However, changing a bulb probably would have taken at least 15 minutes.

My point was that you don't have to remove the grill to R/R the headlight.

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My only 4th Gen complaint is it's days are numbered and I am going to want to trade for the 5th even though I need to keep this one a few years.

shays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
After only a month of ownership, I must admit I hate the Uconnect 5.0!! If I could just turn the bleeping radio off so it doesn't come back on after I cycle the ignition switch it would be fine. Other than that, no cabin filter, lack of a switched charge wire in the trailer harness so I don't kill my battery, and a lack of switched power sources for upfitting are all pretty minor annoyances.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After only a month of ownership, I must admit I hate the Uconnect 5.0!! If I could just turn the bleeping radio off so it doesn't come back on after I cycle the ignition switch it would be fine. Other than that, no cabin filter, lack of a switched charge wire in the trailer harness so I don't kill my battery, and a lack of switched power sources for upfitting are all pretty minor annoyances.
No worries on the radio , take a look at this link , lots of people upgrading to the RA4 8.4 AN Radio here .
You having the 2016 we are just now working on that upgrade so just look at the last 30 or so post for 2016 notes .

Welcome to the forum Sir !

https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_tid=73871&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA)

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No dislikes !!!! I love it all!!!!! Every time I see a dodge ram ... I Brake my neck starring it down lol

yeah- the RAM is so dern good looking that it hurts :favorites13:

was on the weekend at the dealer, ordered a part, and while they where looking, I walked their lot and seen between all them RAM's some Ford F150 and some Chevy's and have to admit- the ford looks kinda like leftover from the '90's and the Chevy has an impressive front but nothing behind- compare to the massive grille, the rest of the truck looks poopie.
and the RAM has by far the best looking interior too. It's the complete package.

But I still hate them tow mirrors. Tried now every possible adjustment and still can't deal with the blind spot the right mirror creates.

I already think about to check if I can find mirror glasses fitting in the mirror and take them stupid small wanna be dead angle mirrors out. Exactly where they are, is, where I miss the length of the regular mirror.
wonder if I'm the only one with that problem.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
yeah- the RAM is so dern good looking that it hurts :favorites13:

was on the weekend at the dealer, ordered a part, and while they where looking, I walked their lot and seen between all them RAM's some Ford F150 and some Chevy's and have to admit- the ford looks kinda like leftover from the '90's and the Chevy has an impressive front but nothing behind- compare to the massive grille, the rest of the truck looks poopie.
and the RAM has by far the best looking interior too. It's the complete package.

But I still hate them tow mirrors. Tried now every possible adjustment and still can't deal with the blind spot the right mirror creates.

I already think about to check if I can find mirror glasses fitting in the mirror and take them stupid small wanna be dead angle mirrors out. Exactly where they are, is, where I miss the length of the regular mirror.
wonder if I'm the only one with that problem.

I love my tow mirrors. The convex mirror almost completely eliminates any blind spot so I'm really confused by what you mean....I upgraded to tow mirrors on my '06 when I had that because there was a HUGE blind spot on the passenger side with the standard ones. I like the 4th gen tow mirrors better because the convex mirror is bigger. I usually back a trailer up using the convex mirrors too. I only use the flat mirror to judge distance but usually do that with drivers side mirror.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
As a tech, I've got a very long list.
But as a customer:
cabin air filter
plastic chrome wheels on high level trim
no black/black interior (until now on certain '16s)
paint quality (orange peel, dirt)
high beams
'09 basic uconnect
key fob battery contact wear
5.7 4wd vibration
leather seat stretch

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a tech, I've got a very long list.
But as a customer:
cabin air filter
plastic chrome wheels on high level trim
no black/black interior (until now on certain '16s)
paint quality (orange peel, dirt)
high beams
'09 basic uconnect
key fob battery contact wear
5.7 4wd vibration
leather seat stretch

I 100% agree with them cheap plastic hub caps. This should not happen- not even in lower level trims. the rims are aluminum and I rather have painted aluminum rims than chrome plastic hub caps.
4wd vibrations? don't have them but a slight singing noise after cold start. I think from the transfer case how it sounds like- but I don't think it's a technical issue.
paint quality - Chrysler vehicles fighting since beginning of time with this issue. good care helps.
high beams? I would say the complete light- assembly is a joke and I can not wrap my brain around the fact, that a modern day vehicle has the light technique of the '90s era.
Yes- there are some things, where it's very obvious, Chrysler saved some money to keep the price of the vehicles where it is.
and when I see, that more expensive ford and chevy's having the same issues, I can live with it.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't understand why people complain about the radio always being on. You can mute it or just turn it down.
In this day and age of electronics this should be a very simple fix. Should never have happened.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as the name goes, it's just marketing. They're trying to separate Ram as its own brand for marketing purposes.

As far as engines go, they are trying new things, smaller "powerful" engines seems to be the trend. There are just a lot of truck owners who refuse to have less than 8 cylinders ...hence the Hemi remains king.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Possible additional reasons are;

1) FCA recognizes their trucks have a better reputation than their cars. Don't want to drag down the truck brand using the same name as the cars?

2) A future brand change name to the cars as well? Get rid of the historic stigma of the name Dodge?

3) Easier for FCA to spin off the car or truck division and sell just one of them in the future?

4) Might have something to do with financial reporting and/or taxes?

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. Radio is on when start it.
2. Terrible ride on bumpy road.
3. Clad hub caps.
4. Interior heating and cooling seems to take longer than most.
5. Would prefer right side mirror to be one piece of glass. Do not need blind spot mirror.
6. Bucket seats are shaped for a smaller butt than mine.
7. My closest RAM dealer sucks. Terrible service on simple oil changes and routine services.

All said these are pretty minor issues (except #7).

If you asked about my "likes" the list would be 4 times longer.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
4. Interior heating and cooling seems to take longer than most.

I have owned a wide variety of vehicles:
Saab (many from '70s to '00s)
VW Bugs
GMs (many from '60s t0 '10s including '14)
Fords (several from '70s to '10s including '15)
MBs ('01, '09)
MG
A few Toyotas and Hondas ('80s to '00s).

Also rented many others, from Kia to Ferrari.

I have never driven a vehicle provide heat as fast as my Ram. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

I start my Ram when I go out the door. I have remote start but park in a garage so I don't want it running in an enclosed space. I drive a slightly uphill first 1/2 mile, and by then the temp is generally at 100° and the fan coming off low. Another 1/2 mile downhill and it is at 110° and fan is coming up nicely. A further 1/2 mile it is at 120° and fan is near full. By the time I get to work (total of 3.1 miles) cabin is warm and fan has turned down to mid range. You can see from my profile that I'm in Vermont. Not exactly the tropics...

As far as AC goes, I'm probably less qualified to comment, but we do get 90s here, and if I remote start 5 minutes before leaving work it's comfortable by the time I get in, and fan is down to mid range by the time I get home, 6 minutes later.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have owned a wide variety of vehicles:
Saab (many from '70s to '00s)
VW Bugs
GMs (many from '60s t0 '10s including '14)
Fords (several from '70s to '10s including '15)
MBs ('01, '09)
MG
A few Toyotas and Hondas ('80s to '00s).

Also rented many others, from Kia to Ferrari.

I have never driven a vehicle provide heat as fast as my Ram. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

I start my Ram when I go out the door. I have remote start but park in a garage so I don't want it running in an enclosed space. I drive a slightly uphill first 1/2 mile, and by then the temp is generally at 100° and the fan coming off low. Another 1/2 mile downhill and it is at 110° and fan is coming up nicely. A further 1/2 mile it is at 120° and fan is near full. By the time I get to work (total of 3.1 miles) cabin is warm and fan has turned down to mid range. You can see from my profile that I'm in Vermont. Not exactly the tropics...

As far as AC goes, I'm probably less qualified to comment, but we do get 90s here, and if I remote start 5 minutes before leaving work it's comfortable by the time I get in, and fan is down to mid range by the time I get home, 6 minutes later.
Hmmm. I have owned about 30- 40 cars in my life time as well.

I am not saying it is as slow to heat as the old 1960s VW's but compared to my newer vehicles it is slower to heat or cool. I have never owned remote start so I am talking from the time you turn the key on.

This is the biggest vehicle I have owned since I purchased a new 1996 Suburban. The size of the vehicle may be influencing my perception. It makes sense that smaller cabins get warmer or cooler quicker.

I live in the Great Northwest, also not the tropics.[emoji41]