What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
THAT! Right there.

People simply whine about the oddest things....in my opinion.

The shift knob...all shifters on automatics are simply electronic range switches nowadays, why waste the space for a big shaft?

The "heavy" tailgate.....is HALF the weight of my Avalanche's, and that one was shorter with no camera OR central lock.

The tires are good. Those who complain that these tires "suck" in snow, are likely driving too aggressively for conditions. I get some of the most dangerous snow in the nation here (wet, slushy, black ice, patchy) and while driving like a sane human these tires do well. They are no Winter Tire, but they aren't supposed to be.

The headlights (non-projector) are kind of dim compared to some other modern vehicles, but still WAY better than most previous generation vehicles (yes, I am sure someone will provide exceptions to that....whatever)

The spray nozzles though....they leak, have a weird spray pattern, and never get my windshield clean where/when I want......guess I will continue to carry a squeegee....

Tapatalked from my expensive "smart" phone.

In all fairness, the thread is "what don't you like"...I think people are just being honest.

I'll say that I agree on that tailgate...I find the Ram tailgate to be extremely light.

The tires? Ugg...we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm not one to blow money and after one winter and one summer on the stock Goodyears, I dropped well over $1K for some Toyo Open Country ATII's. My only regret is not having done it earlier. Those stockers are mushy, poor in the snow and in the rain. I drive like an elderly person at times...but it still didn't matter.

Here are a few of my dislikes.

1. MDS/ECO drone (Esp. with the Flowmaster 50 series).
2. Tailgate with no assist (Already installed one).
3. Low Beams are not what I expected.

The MDS mode does sound weird...I always wondered what it would sound like with a less than stock exhaust. Companies tune exhaust systems to sound good with normal operation, cutting down to 4 cylinders has to throw that off.

We had a 2009 Accord V6 that would cut to a 3cyl mode...it was obnoxious sounding.

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In all fairness, the thread is "what don't you like"...I think people are just being honest.

I'll say that I agree on that tailgate...I find the Ram tailgate to be extremely light.

The tires? Ugg...we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm not one to blow money and after one winter and one summer on the stock Goodyears, I dropped well over $1K for some Toyo Open Country ATII's. My only regret is not having done it earlier. Those stockers are mushy, poor in the snow and in the rain. I drive like an elderly person at times...but it still didn't matter.

The MDS mode does sound weird...I always wondered what it would sound like with a less than stock exhaust. Companies tune exhaust systems to sound good with normal operation, cutting down to 4 cylinders has to throw that off.

We had a 2009 Accord V6 that would cut to a 3cyl mode...it was obnoxious sounding.
While I agree this is a thread to discuss complaints, I have seen multiple threads with people whining about these things, not just here. Also, to gripe about them DOES show me that there is nothing really to gripe about with this truck. If you seriously have to nit-pick the shifter knob or the tailgate weight in order to find something wrong, then the truck is pretty awesome.

If you are experiencing squishy tires, then yes, it is time to get something stiffer, as you did. "Squishy" is completely up to personal preference, and performance is rarely actually affected, but simply perceived. Perception is the root cause of almost 100% of the complaints here though. Not that what is complained about is actually functionally a problem, but that people are not used to the function that they receive. The tires are QUITE grippy, mid-high pack according to every test I have seen. The Tailgate is light. The headlights are significantly brighter than some, significantly dimmer than others, but more than bright enough to see ... when adjusted correctly. The shift knob...well, people need to get over needing a big shaft to hold onto in order to feel masculine.

But you are correct...this IS a thread for people to share their complaints. My BIGGEST complaint about this truck is that there are so many like it, not unique. So many people love this truck as much as me and also drive one.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What don't you like says it all. It doesn't matter what truck you have it'll never be perfect. The goodyears are okay, but p rated tires on a truck annoys me, but pretty much all trucks come with them. My first trip out to work I came hope with the spare on 1 corner because of a sidewall cut (it happens). 2 tires vibrating on the highway because the tread separated (shouldn't happen) and when I woke up the next morning the 4th was flat. Haven't had a flat since in the same conditions once I went light truck rated the next day over 6 years ago. If you're on pavement with the odd camping trip on gravel they work fine. As far as better trims having better finish. BS my limited has the worst fit for panels etc I've ever seen in a new truck. I straightened most of it out had the fender re painted as paint was peeling off and soundproofed the doors because they did vibrate a ton. Heck there was even a lens missing on the rear interior light so I thought you couldn't turn it on and off back there.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
While I agree this is a thread to discuss complaints, I have seen multiple threads with people whining about these things, not just here. Also, to gripe about them DOES show me that there is nothing really to gripe about with this truck. If you seriously have to nit-pick the shifter knob or the tailgate weight in order to find something wrong, then the truck is pretty awesome.

I agree completely, so far I've loved my experience with my two Ram trucks, they've been superb. My gripes with them have been minor at best, far better than I've experienced with other vehicles.

You mention the popularity of the Ram trucks...which I definitely agree with, they're everywhere.

One thing that is odd to me is the whole Ford/Chevy owners turning their nose up at us. I'm not going to turn this into a Ford-vs-Chevy-vs-Ram debate, but I guess I do not, and never have understood the whole attitude towards Ram trucks. I have always felt they're a great value compared to Chevy, and definitely compared to the often way overpriced Ford F-150. To add to that, the rate of vehicle problems seems to be about the same across all three with what I've personally witnessed.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm still trying to figure out why you have TWO ****** quality Ram trucks (your opinion) when you could have something better?? Doesn't make sense to me.

WOW.....you are still here.

My 14 Sport went to dealership so many times that FCA gave me a 80k/6yr Max care warranty for free. Though I was very appreciative of that warranty, my career does not have time for multiple dealership visits. The final straw was the rear main seal needing to be replace. I liked the truck (It was my 1st Ram) so i figured i would give the brand one more try and just chalked it up to it was my 1st true lemon. Loved the Rebel Mopar 16 so I paid cash for it and dumped off the 14 Sport. Though the Rebel has been a lot less problems, I still clearly see poor fit and finish that I never saw on my GMC, Chevy, Ford or Toyota....yup, never had the Nissan yet. The best one (fit and finish) was the Toyota, but the truck is just too dated now....waiting for the redsigned. I was just test driving a fully loaded $68k Raptor over the weekend and almost bought it but they were giving me a ****** trade in on my Rebel and it pissed me off...even though i had cash for the Raptor, they wanted to **** around on the trade in. I'll go to a different Ford dealer and get the Raptor that way. They told me that the Rams just don't sell well off their lot. Anyway, i have actually have a service appointment for the Rebel this Thursday because my instrument cluster is flickering like a freaking disco (already had it replaced last yr for the same thing!) and it feels like my transmission is about to fall out when I go from reverse to drive. As you can see, I'm not blinded by brand loyalty. I buy whoever makes me the best truck at that time.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds more like adealer issue than an FCA issue.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
lol I am a chevy guy and have a Ram. Just like the Ram trucks better. Price vs features the Ram is the leader. My 13 Ram now is in dealer getting shift solenoid replaced and broken exhaust manifold bolt done under power train warranty. Doesn't make me dislike the truck, I am actually suprised how much I do like the truck, love the ride, alpine stereo sounds excellent after a few key speaker changes, a few tiny things like backup cam image and not so bright headlights, I really can't complain. Those can be changed out.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
When I lift my foot off the gas in traffic and then have to accelerate once it starts moving I get a lovely “CLUNCK” from the rear differential. Sounds like the rear is going to drop out anytime. I can only imagine at some point it probably will.

My ‘14 was such a lemon FCA put me in the buy back program. The ‘16 is much better but still a Chrysler product. Will look long at hard next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3M-TA3

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 & 2015
Engine
V10 & 5.7L Hemi
Thoroughly pleased with one exception - the rear seat in a quad cab should fold down without having to mod it. I didn't expect that a quad cab would have less storage for things like a spare coat, tarp, snow brush, etc., than a standard cab.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Without a doubt, I do not like the round shifter on the dash panel. What a horrible design. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to shift into drive or reverse and turned the radio volume up or down instead. I'm seriously worried I'm going to have an accident in the parking lot.

My previous Ram, which I drove for 15+ years, had the shifter on the steering column. I wish this one did.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
The fact my 2016 challenger r/t + shaker has factory HID hi/lows and shark fin that supports AM/FM radio but my 2016 RAM sport does not...

I hate having to upgrade my lights aftermark and remove the FM antenna every time I run it through the car wash...

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
The fact my 2016 challenger r/t + shaker has factory HID hi/lows and shark fin that supports AM/FM radio but my 2016 RAM sport does not...

I hate having to upgrade my lights aftermark and remove the FM antenna every time I run it through the car wash...

FM antenna thing is a pain in the ass. I bought one of those little stubby antennas, and it was pretty much useless in my area.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
FM antenna thing is a pain in the ass. I bought one of those little stubby antennas, and it was pretty much useless in my area.

Same here with the stubby. I could only listen to Pandora so much before slapping the OEM antenna back on. What’s even more frustrating is the technology for both the shark fin and HID’s are there. Just boggles my mind how RAM hasn’t integrated to the trucks..