What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IIRC headlight washers of some type were a requirement for a time in the USA if you had HID headlights. The reasoning (if I understood, AND remember...) was that a dirty lens would scatter the brighter-than-normal light and cause a glare. Both my Mercedes - E320 and CLS550 (WHY, oh WHY!!! did I sell that car???) had the squirters on their bi-xenon HID headlights.
Never heard that.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
I do not like the electronic throttle. The stock throttle response sucks.
Huh. I've seen other similar complaints. I mean, I can see a difference in throttle response between a '67 Chevelle with a 396 with a 4bbl and my modern Ram. But translated to the real world, every day modern life? If I want to move, I step on the pedal. If I want to go faster, I step on it harder. If I want to go fast, I put the pedal to the metal (or, as close as it can get to it!). I can light up the tires from a roll so I don't know what else I need?

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well I love my truck. I bought it because it was what I wanted. If there is something I didn't like about it, I changed it to what I do like. I didn't like the electronic throttle, I fixed it. I didn't like the tailgate dropping hard, I fixed it. Didn't like the factory shifter handle, I replaced it. Didn't like the factory air cleaner, I changed it. I didn't like the clad wheels, I changed them, so on and so on. They don't make another truck I'd rather have!

Last edited:

Hookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hate my uconnect 5.0. I bought a RA3 8.4 but I am not capable of installing it. Maybe someday I'll get it installed. I only want it to have a larger screen for my backup camera.

Other than that, I absolutely l love my 2015 RAM 1500. Especially after the Pulsar Edge install....

Last edited:

Hookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
1. I wish fogs were an option on the Tradesman
2. Stupid Tow/Haul button in the center stack instead of the end of the shifter?!
3. The doors that knock you over
4. Cruise control blots out the odometer
5. 6.4 sounds like a hair dryer at idle
6. No detent between cold end of temp dial and max air
7. Can't "tap" the horn button
8. EVIC Lie-O-Meter is usually 1.5-2 mpg optimistic
9. MDS is pretty worthless, even with 4.10 gears
10. Shark fin between the clearance lights

7. Can't "tap" the horn button

I definitely agree with this!!!

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I would agree about the horn. No subtle tapping allowed. In today’s world though, people wouldn’t know the difference anyway.
I tend to blast em anyway, especially if they are alone in car and obviously texting.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I would agree about the horn. No subtle tapping allowed. In today’s world though, people wouldn’t know the difference anyway.
I tend to blast em anyway, especially if they are alone in car and obviously texting.
I realize no one else cares about this but I installed a Road Runner horn on mine just because I like it. The plus side about it that I wasn't expecting is I can now just give a quick "beep beep" sound by just tapping it twice!

Last edited:

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I realize no one else cares about this but I installed a Road Runner horn on mine just because I like it. The plus side about it that I wasn't expecting is I can now just give a quick "beep beep" sound by just taping it twice!
We care, just have to work around it, as you did. I have a ”bull” horn, I may have to install, either that or the old siren.....

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't have bought my truck if it didn't have CC. That is a must for me...
Me too. I can’t say it was a must for me as……….well, I guess I can say it was a must because I wasn’t in the market for a standard cab or a quad cab so I guess I’d be better off to say I didnt need a quad cab but I like having all that extra cab space. There’s not a whole lot of times people ride in my back seat but when they do, I love not having to scoot my seat forward like I did in my old 2008 quad cab.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate my uconnect 5.0. I bought a RA3 8.4 but I am not capable of installing it. Maybe someday I'll get it installed. I only want it to have a larger screen for my backup camera.
How come you can’t install it? I’m sure as far as hooking it up that all you would need is just a whole new center dash piece with the larger opening and without the extra knobs and I would assume all the wires that you’ll need to plug into it should be in the dash and as far as whether or not your truck may need a little bit of sales code programming, I don’t know, but I’m sure somebody could help you out on that.
Other than that, I absolutely l love my 2015 RAM 1500. Especially after the Pulsar Edge install....
How do you like that pulsar edge? Several times now, I’ve really thought about getting one of those only because to use a regular tuner in my truck being that it’s a 2018 with that security module and the fact that my PCM is locked and that I’d have to replace it with a new unlocked one in order to tune it.

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Huh. I've seen other similar complaints. I mean, I can see a difference in throttle response between a '67 Chevelle with a 396 with a 4bbl and my modern Ram. But translated to the real world, every day modern life? If I want to move, I step on the pedal. If I want to go faster, I step on it harder. If I want to go fast, I put the pedal to the metal (or, as close as it can get to it!). I can light up the tires from a roll so I don't know what else I need?

I think the issue is the driver's precision control of the throttle. Sure, if you slap the pedal to the metal, the truck goes. But when I'm driving, I want instantaneous, precise control of the throttle to make the engine do exactly what I want at exactly the time I want it done.

I can feel it when the computer is trying to override my small pedal adjustments. And then, when it finally figures out what I wanted it to do, it overreacts to try to catch up to what I wanted done a half second ago. By then, the computer's reaction is usually too much and too late. Add in the fact that the transmission is choosing third gear for me when I really wanted fifth and I hardly feel like I'm the one controlling the truck at all.

I suppose if a driver is just futzing around town and moving from A to B without thinking much about the actual driving, it doesn't make any difference. I drive like that a lot. But, I'm a former racer and life-long driving enthusiast. I'm constantly thinking about and feeling how much load is being transferred to each tire and the rate and smoothness of the weight rolling on and off each corner of the vehicle. I know and feel where the engine is within its torque curve. I want to feel the balance of the g-force rolling from nose to side to tail at a constant magnitude and speed. I want precision control of the steering, throttle, and brake. Sometimes I want the throttle to quickly set the weight back on the rear tires and make them hook up. But sometimes I want the throttle to smack the rear tires loose before the weight has a chance to roll back. You can do that with a throttle cable - but rarely can you make the computer do that the way you want to. A vehicle precisely responding to my inputs is a joy to drive. I find a computer that is making it's own throttle decisions based on what it thinks is the best compromise to be constantly annoying. There's no way the computer can control the vehicle and drive as smoothly, gently, sharply, or precisely as I can.

But what the heck. It's a truck, not a racecar. And, it has an automatic transmission besides. What can you expect? All modern cars - at least the ones I can realistically afford to own - have electronic throttles. That's just the way it is. If I can't stand it, I can invest in something to modify the computer settings and reduce the annoyance. But, there's drawbacks to that also.

Nobody has ever yet built the perfect vehicle. I love my truck and am extremely happy with it. I am so thankful for it. I never thought I would ever have a truck this nice. I do love the tone of that hemi engine from idle to redline! But that doesn't mean the whole truck is perfect.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Odd. I had a 2015 for 5 years. It downshifted by itself* even when NOT in tow/haul. In fact, what my observation is in regards to shifting is that t/h mostly controls UP-shifting. No real difference in downshifting in t/h vs normal. Same on both my '15 and current '20.

*By this I mean: slowing down, with or without brakes, the tranny will downshift and provide engine braking.
Thanks I'm going to looking into why mine isn't doing this.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Egh, I doubt that has anything to do with it. Well, I guess maybe it could because instead of using that dinky little flat four prong plug that came on my little Tractor Supply-special 10 foot utility trailer, I cut that little POS off and wired up a seven prong plug just because those are a lot easier to grab and they generally last longer but then again, since I don’t have magnet brakes on that trailer, I highly doubt that plug is what’s making my truck do that because also, I just thought of, if I’m not mistaken, I’m pretty sure that even without a trailer connected to my truck, if I put it in tow haul mode, it’ll still downshift just the same when I come to a stop so, you might have something going on if your transmission won’t actually try to help slow you down when you got tow haul mode turned on.
Yep going to check into this.
That manual shift option is a pain but hey, it works. I don’t care for the MDS in my truck but I’m thankful that it’s at least not near as obnoxious as the MDS was in my old truck because even with the fairly loud Carven Progressive muffler and the 5 inch tips that I have on my current truck, the MDS rattle really isn’t all that noticeable like it was on my old 2008. I’m really glad just a simple tuner was all it took to turn that off because it made my exhaust on that truck sound like dog doo.

The MDS may be different but unless they can prove that something happened to your engine in the event of a warranty claim due to the MDS being disabled, the Magnuson moss act pretty much prevents and protects them from just outright voting oir warranty but unless you can find a way to permanently disable it that wouldn’t leave a trace behind, I wouldn’t mess with it. You could look into that edge pulsar tuner that either hooks up post or pre-PCM that I’ve heard will shut the MDS off and not leave a digital trace but I’m not too sure about that.
I tried the manual shift yesterday and that's the ticket! I can easily get used to pushing the manual button after I get going.
Hey man, you’re welcome. Just despite what some other people have accused, some of us really are trying to help with the things people don’t like.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
I don't like that my Ram made me anti-social towards every other brand owner. :D
I think I get what you mean, but I harbor no ill will to the poor suckers who have cast their lot with the GMs, Pfords, Toys or Nisses.

And I can guarantee that I can find (at least one of the) owners of the "off-brands" that will swear on their mother's grave that RAM was worse than death.

WHO CARES?!!!

Hookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Me too. I can’t say it was a must for me as……….well, I guess I can say it was a must because I wasn’t in the market for a standard cab or a quad cab so I guess I’d be better off to say I didnt need a quad cab but I like having all that extra cab space. There’s not a whole lot of times people ride in my back seat but when they do, I love not having to scoot my seat forward like I did in my old 2008 quad cab.
Actually I was talking about Cruise control - It is a priority... But Crew Cab or Quad cab was a must have also...