what is this for? 2014 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, I think that the CTD's are neutered due to torque management from a stand still and also from not being at full boost. Maybe they just wouldn't have any wheel hop as they can't send the power to the rear wheels as quick.

The CTD truck also weighs about 1000 lbs (from what I remember) more.

I think a 0-30 mph drag race between a 6.4L and a CTD would be interesting.

Olli

They all are. Swimming in torque management. This '13 express hemi won't get out of it's own way.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Well guys I just received a response from a RAM chassis engineer.

"The 5-link coil system does an incredible job of locating the axle and improving the ride. We put the Bilstein dampener in place for additional control, bringing us far beyond what competitors offer. The dampener exists on gasoline engine models (6.4 and 5.7 HEMI) but not on Cummins-powered trucks. Diesel engines have a much different torque curve and RPM range and do not currently require the component.

The five-link coil design incorporates support at all major points of force. Leaf spring suspensions struggle to combat axle wrap by using staggered shock absorbers (one mounted on the front of the axle tube and one mounted on the rear of the axle tube). The superior design of the five-link coil system functionally resists unwanted axle rotation. Leaf spring configurations also lack lateral support, forcing the leaf ends and shackles to hold against lateral loads — a task they're not particularly good at and one reason competitive leaf-sprung rear suspensions shutter on rough surfaces.

Because of the unique five-link axle control and natural rotation, U-joints in the driveshaft run smoothly and with less vibration through the suspension’s range of motion, an advantage not shared with leaf springs. Another benefit of coil springs is less unsprung mass and elimination of stick-slip friction found between the leaf springs. Additionally, links are engineered in-line with frame rails, so overall packaging is better, not to mention an overall weight reduction of about 40 pounds when compared to a leaf-spring configuration.

The 2014 Ram 2500 also will offer a segment-exclusive rear air suspension system. Two air bags replace the coil springs much like the Ram 1500. Load capacity is not sacrificed and the 2014 Ram 2500’s best-in-class ride and handling gets even better, crushing the competition with two doses of engineering innovation (five-link coil standard and air suspension option). Another benefit to the new air suspension design is the load-leveling capability, which automatically detects load on the rear suspension from a trailer or payload. The air pressure increases until the vehicle reaches normal ride height – leveling the truck and improving stability and loaded ride."

Olli

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi

"The 5-link coil system does an incredible job of locating the axle and improving the ride. We put the Bilstein dampener in place for additional control, bringing us far beyond what competitors offer. The dampener exists on gasoline engine models (6.4 and 5.7 HEMI) but not on Cummins-powered trucks. Diesel engines have a much different torque curve and RPM range and do not currently require the component.

The five-link coil design incorporates support at all major points of force. Leaf spring suspensions struggle to combat axle wrap by using staggered shock absorbers (one mounted on the front of the axle tube and one mounted on the rear of the axle tube). The superior design of the five-link coil system functionally resists unwanted axle rotation. Leaf spring configurations also lack lateral support, forcing the leaf ends and shackles to hold against lateral loads — a task they're not particularly good at and one reason competitive leaf-sprung rear suspensions shutter on rough surfaces.

Because of the unique five-link axle control and natural rotation, U-joints in the driveshaft run smoothly and with less vibration through the suspension’s range of motion, an advantage not shared with leaf springs. Another benefit of coil springs is less unsprung mass and elimination of stick-slip friction found between the leaf springs. Additionally, links are engineered in-line with frame rails, so overall packaging is better, not to mention an overall weight reduction of about 40 pounds when compared to a leaf-spring configuration.

The 2014 Ram 2500 also will offer a segment-exclusive rear air suspension system. Two air bags replace the coil springs much like the Ram 1500. Load capacity is not sacrificed and the 2014 Ram 2500’s best-in-class ride and handling gets even better, crushing the competition with two doses of engineering innovation (five-link coil standard and air suspension option). Another benefit to the new air suspension design is the load-leveling capability, which automatically detects load on the rear suspension from a trailer or payload. The air pressure increases until the vehicle reaches normal ride height – leveling the truck and improving stability and loaded ride."

Olli

Ok so all 2500's SHOULD have them. Either the ones that dont, should, or theres still some unknown reason there not on some trucks.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, not all 2500s should have the 5th shock. The CTDs don't get it. I just e-mailed him back to get clarification on the Mega Cabs.

Olli

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
No, not all 2500s should have the 5th shock. The CTDs don't get it. I just e-mailed him back to get clarification on the Mega Cabs.

Olli

Sorry...I ment to put 6.4 in there somewhere.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

I would venture that the diesels are not known for high speed wheel spin, which is what that looks like it is for. Axle wrap happens when the back wheels break loose and twist the axle forward. This then ends up with wheel hop and damages stuff. The diesels don't generally produce high rpm, that cause this effect, V8's do. Could be way off but racing experience says this is why. Same thing pinion snubbers do.

preachp

I've never seen high speed wheel hop since the torque at high speed is usually not that high....but I've seen tons of it at low speed & high torque situations.

Shoot, my 97 3500 dually would exhibit it if you got on it hard in 1st gear (12v 4x4 4.10 5spd).

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins

Olli

Awesome info, thanks.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
just got off the phone with the ram service/parts department.... Useless! They have no idea. I was trying to track down a specific build code that would be the answer. I think i'm going to snoop around the lot and look under the new 2500's there and see if i can't find one and go from there.

Seems like the only difference between me not having it and bigdaddy having it is that mine is a megacab and his a crew. Bigdaddy, what is your rear gear ratio?

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I received an additional response that added a little more detail.

G56 CTD gets the shock.

The 2WD Crew Cab short box (gas) doesn’t, nor does a 2WD Crew Cab long bed. I did not get the answer about the Mega.

Olli

OP
OP
T

tommy_harrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That's is as close to a politician answer as I have ever seen. Lots of words, but not a direct answer. What needed extra control? What does that shock hide?

Tommy

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's is as close to a politician answer as I have ever seen. Lots of words, but not a direct answer. What needed extra control? What does that shock hide?

Tommy

Axle wrap, wheel hop....So why doesn't a CTD with an auto trans need it? My only guess is that it goes back to those combinations being neutered by torque management.

Here is a link to an article that talks about the 5th shock on these chassis.

2013 a Good Year for Ram With Segment-Leading Growth - PickupTrucks.com News

Olli

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Megacab Bighorn 4x4
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
what did your source say about the mega cab?

Only6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
14 2500 4x4 CTD with manual trans and limited slip.. I have one

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's a G56? I have a 2014 SLT/BigHorn CTD 4x4 Crew Cab and no 5th shock.