What is with the paint chipping on my 2017 ram?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EDIT - MORE DETAILED PICS ON PAGE 3

I am SHOCKED at how easily my new truck is picking up chips, what the heck is going on?! I had a 2014 Laramie in Crystal Granite that had maybe 3 stone chips in 3 years. I just did a deep cleaning and clay bar session on my 3 month old 2017 Ignition Orange Ram and I have 3 stone chips on the doors, one on a door handle and the rocker areas have at least a dozen if not more... in 3 MONTHS!!! Thank goodness I have the entire front covered in Xpel because I'd hate to see what that would look like. This is CRAZY and my Laramie didn't have any mudflaps and this one has rear ones. The only other difference is my Laramie had fender flares, wondering if that's the difference. I can't even imagine what this truck is going to look like in 3 years if this is what it looks like after 3 months.

Not going to lie, I'm really concerned about this, is this normal?! I ordered front mudflaps for the time being and going to start looking for fender flares ASAP because I REALLY don't feel like making rock chip repair one of my new hobbies.

Dan

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can thank the tree huggers and penny pinchers of the FCA. It's because of the green eco friendly soft paint. You'd think that because of that they would just add an extra coat or two of the paint process, but that costs more money. My advice go get a chip pen some fine grit sand paper and a rotary and keep it at the ready. I bought the appropriate tools and every time I wash it I inspect and fix chips. My truck is still chip free even though I've had about 5 so far. Also just stay off of people on the road. Stay way back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My coworker has a 2017 Silverado and his chips easily too. It's not a Ram only issue.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
thats about normal, I repainted my truck about 6 months ago, added extra coats of high quality clear and its still got quite a few chips now from only street driving...

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Robots at the factory have been programmed to paint truck, not programmed to do a quality paint job.
Jay

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dan, you ought to own a Japanese vehicle like Honda-worse. ROADS are ALWAYS UNDER CONSTRUCTION! Plus the shift from oil base to water/latex based paints.

I have front / rear flaps and nerf bars so just a few small chips on the front and 2 tiny ones-one on door and one on rear handle. 2015, 21000 miles.

White is a piece of cake to touch up.

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well slap me silly, I had no idea this is how bad it's become with the paint. I've had over a dozen new vehicles to date and I've never seen chips like this. My wife's 6 year old Elantra has maybe 3 chips overall and here I am with 3 just on the doors.

Going to add the mudguards and I'm calling my friend who installed my Xpel to do the rocker panels.

Glad I ordered some Dr Color Chip, looks like I'm going to need it!

Dan

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
My 2015 is bad also...Worst paint on any vehicle I have ever owned...Like previously mentioned, white is easy to touch up...

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you get guards make sure your put something between the guard and paint to prevent the paint from being worn through by the guard. The Ram factory molded guards are known to do that. Huskyliner guards come with clear tape that goes between the guard and fender to prevent this from happening.

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get guards make sure your put something between the guard and paint to prevent the paint from being worn through by the guard. The Ram factory molded guards are known to do that. Huskyliner guards come with clear tape that goes between the guard and fender to prevent this from happening.

OK thanks for mentioning that! The front ones I ordered are Husky so they'll come with it. Guess I should remove the rear ones and take care of that.

I have a quote if I want to add the fender flares, get them painted and get the correct mudguards... $1300 installed, taxes in for everything. :puke:

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK thanks for mentioning that! The front ones I ordered are Husky so they'll come with it. Guess I should remove the rear ones and take care of that.

I have a quote if I want to add the fender flares, get them painted and get the correct mudguards... $1300 installed, taxes in for everything. :puke:

Did you have the option to get a paint chip warranty? I had the option and passed it up not realizing how much worse the paint is. My old charger has barely any chips at all and it's 10 years old

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you have the option to get a paint chip warranty? I had the option and passed it up not realizing how much worse the paint is. My old charger has barely any chips at all and it's 10 years old

No, I was definitely not offered anything like that. How does that warranty work? They repair any chips the vehicle gets for a certain amount of time? I was speaking to my friend who owns a detailer shop and he confirmed the same thing you guys are saying... welcome to environmentally friendly paint :****sweak:

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well just a quick update... I went to start touching up my paint chips and the rockers are MUCH worse that I thought, there are hundreds of chips and pits! So I stopped what I was doing and I took my truck to the dealer to show them. They agreed that this is not normal and took some photos to send to Chrysler. Now the see what they say... I now have chips on 2 of the 4 doors (one door has 4 chips), a door handle, 2 near the base of the antenna and then hundreds around the rockers and lower doors. 8000KMs and my truck's paint is getting destroyed :/

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are some photos... you can see some large chips and then tons of small nicks in the clear:

20170918_085405_resized.jpg

20170918_085448_resized.jpg

20170918_085438_resized.jpg

Also bear in mind this is just one section of rocker panel... it's like this along the entire thing on both sides, plus I'm picking up chips all over the main body panels as well. Again, this is after 4 months of ownership. I literally tossed all my touchup stuff in a bin this morning in frustration.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put the clear 3M clear bra like material on the front of my Sports and am really satisfied with the results. We've been on a couple long road trips and it sure has saved the front end from getting a lot of paint chips. I've also got OEM flares so I haven't had any trouble with the rockers---yet. It ain't cheap for the clear covering but it's cheaper than repainting the front end a couple of times---depending on how picky you are.
Jay

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put the clear 3M clear bra like material on the front of my Sports and am really satisfied with the results. We've been on a couple long road trips and it sure has saved the front end from getting a lot of paint chips. I've also got OEM flares so I haven't had any trouble with the rockers---yet. It ain't cheap for the clear covering but it's cheaper than repainting the front end a couple of times---depending on how picky you are.
Jay

Yep, I have the entire front covered in XPel for exactly this. Just didn't occur to me that my doors and rockers would get destroyed within a few months :/ Problem is now the damage is done, I'm going to have to get all this figured out. I'm going to see about getting this repainted and then adding Xpel to the sides. It's actually much cheaper to add those films to the sides because they use straight pieces instead of templates. The template pieces they use for the front cost a FORTUNE! Cost $700 CAD to do my entire front with Xpel.

Dan

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey I found the site that lists all the warranties offered by Chrysler Canada here:

FCA Canada Owners

Scroll towards the bottom of the page. They don't seem to offer any kind of chip protection :/

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the last few years the paint quality has been pure crap!!!!! Especially out of the Warren factory. I'm thinking about putting the clear film on my fiberglass tonneau cover to help avoid water spots and small scratches. It ain't going to be cheap either---:naughty:------It never ends!!!!!
Jay

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the last few years the paint quality has been pure crap!!!!! Especially out of the Warren factory. I'm thinking about putting the clear film on my fiberglass tonneau cover to help avoid water spots and small scratches. It ain't going to be cheap either---:naughty:------It never ends!!!!!
Jay

Is there a way to tell where the truck was built, or are these all from the Warren factory? I can't get over the difference between this truck and the Laramie, I never had this as an issue. Now I actually cringe when it's time to wash the truck knowing that I'll see more big rock chips added to the pile.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it should be on the window sticker
Jay