What the heck KOOKS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin Meek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so as the title says, pulled the trigger on some kooks 1 3/4 headers and high flow y.... so I ordered and after two different “said ship days” they ship a week and a half after I ordered them. Was told they ship straight from them in Statesville nc. And they are made to order. So I receive them and all parts are there, scheduled a day for my local exhaust to put them on. Get a call 5 hours into the install that the driver side is completely messed up, the holes don’t line up and not even close. Called up kooks today Friday and they said they would need pictures before they take action. So I arranged a ride down there and sure as hell wayyyy wrong. Emailed pictures and a hour later I get a call back from them saying yeah it’s wrong and they are sorry, they will get a new one made on Monday. 3 days later plus shipping time. Now only good thing is their manufacture warehouse is 3 hours away. However my truck is on a lift exhaust ripped out of it... I feel kooks shoulda probably do more then just say they are sorry and make a header 3 days later. Attached pictures of how bad it is

AEE4EEA5-DE93-4190-A679-BF9CD74984F3.jpeg

1D3E392A-D75E-4AD8-8457-3DC4A5D7DEDF.jpeg

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What more do you think they should do ?

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Not good to hear and see at all! Just ordered some today....

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Stay late? Maybe make one Saturday? 4 days without a vehicle kinda sucks. Maybe I’m overreacting, but these are 1150$ headers you think they woulda been correct

No doubt being without a truck sucks.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know your kinda pissed off that they sent you the wrong part. But I think that expecting them to work over a weekend to make another header and get it to you any faster is unrealistic. Even though it might be a great gesture by the company, I think by the time they pay overtime and then try to ship something on a weekend or overnight mail would be cost prohibitive. Maybe in years past some companies might do something like that, but nowadays---not a chance. Sorry about your wrong part and not having the use of your truck but I guess **** happens--I just thought **** like this happened to me, guess not, at least you've got some company---LOL
Jay

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know your kinda pissed off that they sent you the wrong part. But I think that expecting them to work over a weekend to make another header and get it to you any faster is unrealistic. Even though it might be a great gesture by the company, I think by the time they pay overtime and then try to ship something on a weekend or overnight mail would be cost prohibitive. Maybe in years past some companies might do something like that, but nowadays---not a chance. Sorry about your wrong part and not having the use of your truck but I guess **** happens--I just thought **** like this happened to me, guess not, at least you've got some company---LOL
Jay

I see where your coming from but... Cost prohibitive? I guess losing a customer is no big deal, losing a good number of customers because of **** poor customer service should be more PROHIBITIVE. I guess again, I'm old school, but customer comes first. If a company has to pay OT to keep their customer and future customers happy then that's what they have to do to make and keep it right! I know this day and age this is not the mindset but I don't put up with this kind of ****! If you cannot stand behind your product ,take the time to make it right if it is not and take pride in your company then your company will NOT get my business...end of story.
Devin Meek or any other customer should NOT have to be without their vehicle because of Kook's mistake. That would most certainly make any or all future purchases PROHIBITIVE!.
Sorry PullYa, I'm not directing this rant at you but at the many businesses that have the mindset you are speaking of.... It's BS!!!! With me, that mindset will NEVER fly

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
None of us like it or think it's "right", but why is it so prevalent? We keep hearing more and more stories like this. The number of companies that do have "good" customer service seem to be smaller and smaller. We are lucky here on this forum, I think most of our vendors have an excellent reputation for their customer service. I'm not arguing what happened to the OP is right, I was only trying to explain why I thought the vendor responded the way they did.
Jay

OP
OP
Devin Meek

Devin Meek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it wasn’t line I got a complete wrong header either... the metal that goes up against the engine was 180 degrees wrong... not a packaging issue, a manufacture issue. That’s what I’m worried about, such high quality headers you hear about from kooks and it’s 180 degrees backwards...

OP
OP
Devin Meek

Devin Meek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m looking forward to Monday to see what the company will be doing, it being overnighting them to me... or best driving them most of the way to me 3 hours. They do care about their name and company, I’ve never heard anything bad about kooks doing anybody wrong. Just caught some crappy luck. Very curious to see how they make it right come Monday

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it were were me, I would quantify and explain how much their mistake cost me out of pocket. For instance, vehicle down town and costs you may have incurred for renting a vehicle that was unexpected. Then ask them to to cut you a refund for the profit margin on the original product, not considering the cost of having to remanufacture a new set. If they had proper quality control, they should have caught it before shipment, which would have eaten out of their profits and not contributed to your vehicle down time and potential expense for rental. Like @Pull Ya said, it's a different era now. You can try to quantify logically and help edge your case by subtly implying that you're part of a large forum network of potential consumers. If they don't do you a solid, it's not worth keeping yourself worked up over. I know that's hard to imagine at this point, but if you want to feel not so bad, read my post on my nightmare install. In hindsite, it was worth it... In the moment, I was on the verge of a mental breakdown. Just remember, in the end, you'll be happy, I promise :)

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh and to help with negotiations, do not threaten. Listen to them, empathize and/or sympathize with them if they own up to the mistake. Then lead them into doing the same with understanding the impact that it has to you. Once you have that mutual respect and understanding, put the pressure on them by respectfully asking how they plan on making it right or how they would want the situation resolved if the roles were reversed. If you don't feel like the answer is enough, propose your own solution and ask point blank if they think it's unreasonable. If the company is solid and gives a ****, this approach will go a long way. If they don't give a ****, no approach will work and you'll know you're wasting your time with a ****** company. By your comments and brand recognition, I expect them to try and make it right.

Oh, and good luck!

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Devin, looking forward to seeing the end result: headers installed, performance gained, and you stoked. It’ll be worth it in the end!

OP
OP
Devin Meek

Devin Meek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the help/thoughts guys. I am to really looking forward to the end results. Just wish it was last night me getting the results vs most likely Tuesday now. But hell we shall see what happens. Pics, opinions, and imma try to find a dyno around here. Haven’t seen to many people post end results, which I know a lot of people are curious

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Stay late? Maybe make one Saturday? 4 days without a vehicle kinda sucks. Maybe I’m overreacting, but these are 1150$ headers you think they woulda been correct

I had a problem with the Header and the Mid pipe, they gave my Clamps to hold the header and mid pipe together. Flimsy clamps that leaked like a civ, I was so pissed. I emailed them 5 times and never got a response. ARH's come with a 2 or 3 bolt Flange so you can bolt the header and mid pipe together. Anyone following this thread Don't buy Kooks.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
I had a problem with the Header and the Mid pipe, they gave my Clamps to hold the header and mid pipe together. Flimsy clamps that leaked like a civ, I was so pissed. I emailed them 5 times and never got a response. ARH's come with a 2 or 3 bolt Flange so you can bolt the header and mid pipe together. Anyone following this thread Don't buy Kooks.
Did you do any research to see if other people with Kooks had the same problem you did at that time? Just curious, because i see alot of videos on youtube with people with Kooks on their Ram. Also, im curious as to why Kooks went with that type of connection for the Ram. There had to be a reason. The Kooks on my jeep has the 2 bolt flange.

OP
OP
Devin Meek

Devin Meek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah was pretty disappointed in the clamps, but I was planning on having them clamp, then weld the clamps so there is no leaks