Wheel spacers The Good Bad and ugly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surfnturf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
As I mentioned in another post, My truck looks like a fat girl with little feet from the front, I am thinking about wheel spacers maybe 1". I don't know anything about them. Educate me please.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just make sure they're HUBCENTRIC and you'll be okay with 1" spacers...I personally, wouldnt run anymore than a 2" spacer.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not really...everybody I know of who has bought them has just snagged a set from eBay.

OP
OP
S

surfnturf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Looking at Adaptec. They custom make for vehicle and wheel make. That said, I am looking at Procomp and my 7028s may not be hubcentric anyway.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
YOu will still want the hub centric spacers so the spacer itself is centered properly on the hub of your hub assembly.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I wouldn't run spacers if I dist have to and unfortunately I have to to back my livestock trailer into the shoot (need to be able to turn to full lock)

I have 1.75" so I didn't have to trim the stock wheel stubs
I just feel uncomfortable running them

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i had them on a previous vehicle....Never again.
always had a shake in the steering wheel on highway
Technically they are not highway legal
i had many studs strip out or snap(this causeed me having to have to wheels ruined by torching the lug nuts off)
They were a very expensive pain in the ass.

Save your money and get wheels with less backspacing (my personal opinion)

Miami Son

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i had them on a previous vehicle....Never again.
always had a shake in the steering wheel on highway
Technically they are not highway legal
i had many studs strip out or snap(this causeed me having to have to wheels ruined by torching the lug nuts off)
They were a very expensive pain in the ass.

Save your money and get wheels with less backspacing (my personal opinion)

This. I would never run spacers, especially on a 4X4.

S

scotts2012ram

I've run them but I get the spacer/adapters with the studs built it them not just the plates that you have to run longer studs on. My buddy has had a set on his z71 for 2 years not one problem. If you instill them right and make shore the stock studs aren't holding the wheel out you'll be fine.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok so I will be installing 1.5 hub centric adapters on my truck this week, make emm tight to oem specs and make sure the old lugs don't stick past the gap so they don't hit the wheel correct???

S

scotts2012ram

Yep that's right. The hub centric are the best but I've never used them the lugs well center them.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
This. I would never run spacers, especially on a 4X4.

Same here. You are installing a lever between your wheel and axle. Especially with bigger (heavier) wheel/tire combos you are putting way more stress on everything than with a proper set of back spaced rims.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok so I will be installing 1.5 hub centric adapters on my truck this week, make emm tight to oem specs and make sure the old lugs don't stick past the gap so they don't hit the wheel correct???

Those need to be torqued down to 150ft-lbs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ran Spidertrax spacers on my Rubicon wearing 35s. Wheeled the crap out of it w/ no issues. Don't think they make them for Rams...

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've had them on for maybe 2.5 years and ball joints are going bad but there is also 100k miles on this set of ball joints.
Ditching the spacers for aftermarket wheels soon and replacing ball joints

arjan

Reaction score
I've had them on for maybe 2.5 years and ball joints are going bad but there is also 100k miles on this set of ball joints.
Ditching the spacers for aftermarket wheels soon and replacing ball joints

If the track width stays the same, the ball joints will get the same stresses. With a proper wheel adapter, the adapter is essentially one unit together with the wheel anyway.

I've ran them for years on the 06 4Runner, no problems at all.

Make sure the adapter has a hub ring for the wheel so it stays centered and you won't have vibration issues.

I would never even consider the spacer rings, the lug nuts will have less thread to grab on. A dangerous situation imo.

ps I know this thread had been dormant for a while ;)

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It really is a misconception that wheel spacers are any worse for your vehicle than an equally backspaced wheel. What adds the wear and tear and stress on compoents is the weight of the majority of the wheel and tire being pushed farther out. You are putting the same stress on your wheel bearings and ball joints running a wheel with 4" of backspacing vs a 3" backspaced wheel with a 1" wheel spacer.

As recommended before a slide on space is not what you want unless you are looking for 1/4" or so. You want to have a wheel spacer that bolts onto your existing studs and then gives you a new wheel mounting surface with its own studs. I ran a 1.5" set off of ebay on my grand cherokee that had 37 inch tires for a long time with no issues. I was also running the smallest backspacing money could buy at the time on the wheel as well and everything was fine.