which bulbs for 2013 Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am finding that I cant see as well at night as I could when I drive at night as I could when I got the truck.
I was 58 then and I am 64 now .

Anyway I would like some recomendations for a bulb or bulbs that will provide more light for night driving.

From what I understand it uses a Projector Headlight .

I also noticed that I have moisture in the housings that I need to get out,would the moisture inside the housing also have a big effect on the light that is being put on the road ?

Also I am wanting to accomplish without spending an arm and a leg.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The more I read the more I believe I have the Quad Headlights and the more I read I see that Headlight bulbs grow dimmer over time.
In addition with the condensation inside of the Headlight is probably contributing to the issue.

I also have a passenger side high beam light that is out.

So I am going to clean out the condensation using paper towels then see if backing out of the vent plug will solve the issue,if not then will try sealing all the edges of the headlights with silicon.
Surely something will work !

As far as the bulbs go If I stay with the Halogen bulbs what is the Parts number to go with for the Low beam and the High beam ?

Would I be better with a Led ?
If so I would probably want Bulbs that were just a bit better than the Halogen bulbs as I do not want to be blinding an oncoming vehicle.

And one more thing ,I sure wish I had known years ago how to turn the Fog lights on ,sure does make turning off the highway and crossing over the ditch culvert a lot easier !

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Take a picture of you headlights !
Then we can tell if they are Quads or Projectors or Google RAM quad or projectors !
You more then likely have a seal leak at the lens or the dust cover may be loose !
Hope the gear heads chime in with better advice..
Please UPDATE what you find out

Thanks

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to try and post Pics of the headlights
Z7W1HAy.jpg

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is another Pic
fooTU5u.jpg

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And the last pic taken from about 10 feet
The first pics were taken at different angles with one of them taken facing directly in front of the light.
Lots of condensation inside the light but maybe enough to tell if it is a Quad headlight ?
FSZ2emW.jpg

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those are quads.

That is a lot of condensation in your lenses. I have seen some guys put silica desiccant packs in the housings to help with that but your's is a bit more severe than anything I have seen.

Lots of options to upgrade these lights. If you want to keep the OEM housings, can toss some LEDs in there but you gotta be careful to choose the right ones so you aren't blinding everyone on the road.

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those are quads.

That is a lot of condensation in your lenses. I have seen some guys put silica desiccant packs in the housings to help with that but your's is a bit more severe than anything I have seen.

Lots of options to upgrade these lights. If you want to keep the OEM housings, can toss some LEDs in there but you gotta be careful to choose the right ones so you aren't blinding everyone on the road.
I thought that they might be quads but wasnt sure.

Yes there is a lot of condensation in there and I figure that is severely degrading the lights ability to provide enough light on the Highway.
Maybe just the very age of the lights (11 almost 12 years old)as I dont think that they have ever been changed,as maybe bulbs get dimmer as they age.
I just found out that the High beam on the Passenger side is out as well.

I have watched a few Videos on you tube showing people using a hair dryer to get rid of the condensation and making sure that the vent holes are not plugged so that the condensation has a place to escape and will be doing those things for sure and will probaby put some bags of silica dessicant inside the Headlights as well.

Yes I would like to keep the OEM Housings for sure and sure do not want to be blinding anyone for their sake and I dont want them being blinded and veering in to my lane either.

Although I could order online I could also just go down to the Local Auto zone,Advance auto parts ,O'Reilly or Napa store as well.

Could you recommend a Name brand and Parts number For Halogen Bulbs
And For Led bulbs as well ?

I am wanting to spend as little as possible but still get good bulbs.

P.S.
I Just realized I have been driving for years without Fog Lights as I just found out how to turn them on.
And they dont work when the lights are on bright.

Thank You Much for your information

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well after spending most of the day looking and reading about headlights and bulbs for the headlights I have decided I am going to go with the Halogen Bulbs for the Quad Headlights.

Although the searches turned up quite a bit if conflicting info I am if this curious whether this chart accurately represent the bulb sizes that came on the truck when new ?

If so is there a particular Brand that seems to Stand out for performance ,price, and durability?
How about the Sylvania Brand or Carquest Brand are they worth a crap?

Also will my Fog lamps (which are Vertical and White )be a good combo with the bulbs I am going to be using

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
things to think about :
Ram on the Left, shows fog lights 2013 & newer
Dodge Ram on the Right is 2009 - 2012

1712120236740.png

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You mentioned that your High Beams are out,
it could be the bulbs or the Power Source for the High Beams
do you have a multi-meter ?

A parts source that is reliable is ROCK AUTO
Their listed parts is researched, so you could buy their listed parts at a local store.
i prefer them to most stores in towns or cities, if i don't need the Parts right away.
This is a list of available bulbs

Headlight Assemblies

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You mentioned that your High Beams are out,
it could be the bulbs or the Power Source for the High Beams
do you have a multi-meter ?

A parts source that is reliable is ROCK AUTO
Their listed parts is researched, so you could buy their listed parts at a local store.
i prefer them to most stores in towns or cities, if i don't need the Parts right away.
This is a list of available bulbs

Headlight Assemblies

I only have the passenger side high beam that is out,amd I do have a multi meter.
I imagine it is just that the bulbs are just old and since one has gone out I am going to replace all of them.

I see that Rock Auto shows that certain high performance bulbs dont last as long.

Which Brand would you choose to use ,and would you buy the long lasting bulb or the more powerfull bulb to use in the Quad Headlight.

Thanks for the Link to Rock Auto and your opinion on the Bulb to use.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
For an inexpensive solution you can do an H9 swap for the H11 in the low beam. For the highbeam you can run 9011's in place of the 9005's. You do need to do a minor trim for the bulbs to fit, but it's easy to do. Life is shorter on the H9 compared to the H11 but that's about the only downside. I've been running them in my 2010 for almost ten years now, so I guess I've been lucky. Just google H11 to H9 swap.

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For an inexpensive solution you can do an H9 swap for the H11 in the low beam. For the highbeam you can run 9011's in place of the 9005's. You do need to do a minor trim for the bulbs to fit, but it's easy to do. Life is shorter on the H9 compared to the H11 but that's about the only downside. I've been running them in my 2010 for almost ten years now, so I guess I've been lucky. Just google H11 to H9 swap.
I have briefly read that several days ago and will go back and read info pertaining to that again.

I have tried to understand every thing about the different options concerning Headlights and to be honest about it it seems like it is a very complex subject and dependent on a lot of different variables.

For me to be 64 years old I dont know squat about headlights !

A question I have, is will the H9 bulb with the mod give a good beam without blinding people when used in the (without Projectors)Quad headlights that my truck has ?

My goal is to have lights that are Easier to see the road than the standard Headlight's provide but not blind people with too bright of an light.

Forgive the Pun, but I dont feel like to bright of a bulb to have just figured out that I have working foglights on my truck after only almost 7 years !!
I did not know how to turn them on !!

Thanks for your reply and information

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The brightness of the bulbs is not the primary cause of blinding the oncoming traffic, aiming and verification of the upper cutoff line is the more important aspect.

I've upgraded to LEDs about 4 or 5 months ago and have only been flicked twice. And both those were more related to road conditions, AFAIK.

Given the amount of night driving with oncoming traffic, I'm pretty confident they're well aligned.

There's some great YouTube videos on headlight alignment.

Personally, I will never waste my money buying halogen bulbs again. For years I've tried all of the so-called great Sylvania bulbs and they're all crap compared to the LEDs currently available.

As far as I know, 2013 is one of the more challenging years for upgrading to LEDs and requires AlfaOBD, so I can understand your hesitation.

I use AlfaOBD and wouldn't hesitate to make the upgrade on a 2013. Fortunately for me, with a '21, LEDs were a straight plug n play.

If you're dead set against LEDs, consider
HIDs. They will cost more than Halogen but provide much better illumination.

Try searching YouTube for headlight alignment videos. Also, search LED alignment videos, just because there's a few good videos using LEDs.

The alignment aspect is still useful for halogen or HIDs.

Last edited: