which bulbs for 2013 Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
A question I have, is will the H9 bulb with the mod give a good beam without blinding people when used in the (without Projectors)Quad headlights that my truck has ?

Yes, it puts out the exact beam as what's in there now, just a little brighter. It's not a huge improvement, but better than what's there now, and for a relatively cheap price, (Philips H9's are about $10 each). For me it was worth a shot to see how it would work before shelling out a bunch of money for a different upgrade. Around where i live it's gotten pretty built up over the years, so I don't do a whole lot of driving on rural roads where I need that level of lighting.

I agree with RamDiver, alignment and getting a good cutoff line are more important.

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, it puts out the exact beam as what's in there now, just a little brighter. It's not a huge improvement, but better than what's there now, and for a relatively cheap price, (Philips H9's are about $10 each). For me it was worth a shot to see how it would work before shelling out a bunch of money for a different upgrade. Around where i live it's gotten pretty built up over the years, so I don't do a whole lot of driving on rural roads where I need that level of lighting.

I agree with RamDiver, alignment and getting a good cutoff line are more important.
I was checking out ptices at Rock Autoand the price for the Phillips H9011 was $11.22 plus tax and they only had one for sale,wholesaler closeout with a 30 day warranty.
Curious where I might find H9011 bulbs for around $10.00 ?

Thanks

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The brightness of the bulbs is not the primary cause of blinding the oncoming traffic, aiming and verification of the upper cutoff line is the more important aspect.

I've upgraded to LEDs about 4 or 5 months ago and have only been flicked twice. And both those were more related to road conditions, AFAIK.

Given the amount of night driving with oncoming traffic, I'm pretty confident they're well aligned.

There's some great YouTube videos on headlight alignment.

Personally, I will never waste my money buying halogen bulbs again. For years I've tried all of the so-called great Sylvania bulbs and they're all crap compared to the LEDs currently available.

As far as I know, 2013 is one of the more challenging years for upgrading to LEDs and requires AlfaOBD, so I can understand your hesitation.

I use AlfaOBD and wouldn't hesitate to make the upgrade on a 2013. Fortunately for me, with a '21, LEDs were a straight plug n play.

If you're dead set against LEDs, consider
HIDs. They will cost more than Halogen but provide much better illumination.

Try searching YouTube for headlight alignment videos. Also, search LED alignment videos, just because there's a few good videos using LEDs.

The alignment aspect is still useful for halogen or HIDs.

I am not against the LED lights but just dont want to jump through a ton of hoops and spend a ton of money to get decent headlights.

I did not even know what alphaOBD till I looked it up.

So I am going to have to get that to use Led lights ?
Why ?

I have also read that using Led in my original Quad headlights that they do not work very well,diffusing the light to much.
Is that true?

If so then does that mean that I would have to buy different Headlights ?

Thanks

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I was checking out ptices at Rock Autoand the price for the Phillips H9011 was $11.22 plus tax and they only had one for sale,wholesaler closeout with a 30 day warranty.
Curious where I might find H9011 bulbs for around $10.00 ?

Thanks

For the low beams, you actually want to replace the H11 with an H9, here's what I'm running in my 2010. If you wanted to, you can also replace the high beam 9005's with the 9011.

Here's a thread on the swap with more info. It looks like the link to the video referenced in the thread is gone, but I actually found the link in my notes I had saved way back then. The only thing I did different was to trim the tab in the bulb with an exacto knife instead cutting the harness light connector. took all of two minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes I am understanding about the low beams and using the H9 for them,I was just thinking while I am in there ,replacing the High beams as well especially since the passenger side High beam is out.

I can find the H9 on the Rock Auto site(haven’t tried any of the local stores yet.).

It is the 9011 for the high beams that I am having difficulty finding and at the same price as the H9 bulbs.

Wonder if I could just use the H9 for both the High beam and the Low beam ??

If so wonder what the affect would be ?

Also wondering if I need to change Foglight bulbs in the factory vertical foglights for best effect ?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
It is the 9011 for the high beams that I am having difficulty finding and at the same price as the H9 bulbs.

Wonder if I could just use the H9 for both the High beam and the Low beam ??

Yes - the 9011's for the high beams are more $, I think I paid about $20 each if I remember correctly, but that was about ten years ago.

No, the H9's won't fit in the high beams, the tabs that secure them to the housing are a different size and orientation. In fact, the 9011's do need to have one of the tabs trimmed to fit correctly, but again, a couple minutes to trim them.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not against the LED lights but just dont want to jump through a ton of hoops and spend a ton of money to get decent headlights.

I did not even know what alphaOBD till I looked it up.

So I am going to have to get that to use Led lights ?
Why ?

I have also read that using Led in my original Quad headlights that they do not work very well,diffusing the light to much.
Is that true?

If so then does that mean that I would have to buy different Headlights ?

Thanks

The halogen replacement bulbs will definitely be less fuss but, they won't come close to the same light quality. If you're not interested in the extra effort and are happy with mediocre lights, I'm not going to discourage that approach. It's your truck and whatever makes you happy is OK with me. :cool:

If you ask for my opinion, I would choose more effort for better quality.

More recent model Ram trucks are a straight plug-and-play for using LED lights but many older trucks, including the 2013 model year are known to require an AlfaOBD tweak. All LED lights are different so, I would only choose a bulb that someone has used successfully on a Ram truck.

AlfaOBD is about $50 and an OBDii interface is another $50, if you choose what I use. I prefer to use a Windows laptop and a hardline OBDii interface. AlfaOBD is very powerful and I choose to use a more stable platform than an Android device and I prefer a hardline interface over a wireless connection.

Many users have successfully used an Android phone or tablet with a wireless OBDii interface dongle, I see that as a gamble that I'm not interested in exploring.

OBDlink SX at Amazon.com

It's a simple change to the headlight setting to HID to prevent light flickering and dropouts. This has been successfully completed many times with 2013s and other early-year models.

If you search Ram forum, the threads are available. There is still a lot of misinformation about the use of LED lights and research is required. I ignored the rumour mill, just read Ram Forum, and found many members with similar trucks to mine, who had great success.

I've very recently read about successful LED bulb installations on 2013 Ram trucks, I'll see if I can dredge up 1or 2 examples. I don't have any experience with Quad headlights but I did hear a similar story about the Projector headlights not being suitable. I now know from personal experience, that is very incorrect.

My LED lights are spectacular!

There are several LED lights that members have successfully installed, that's how I've chosen mine. These should be correct if your truck uses H11s & 9005s.

Fahren H11 & 9005 at Amazon.com

IIRC, these bulbs have a 2-year warranty that will be extended to 3 years if you register online. How does that compare to the halogen alternatives? The Sylvania Bright Star bulbs used to last about 13 or 14 months in my Tundra, just long enough to get past the 12-month warranty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes - the 9011's for the high beams are more $, I think I paid about $20 each if I remember correctly, but that was about ten years ago.

No, the H9's won't fit in the high beams, the tabs that secure them to the housing are a different size and orientation. In fact, the 9011's do need to have one of the tabs trimmed to fit correctly, but again, a couple minutes to trim them.
I called Auto Zone and O’reillys and they did not have any Phillips H9 bulbs.

I may just order them from Walmart for price and to have them delivered to the house. Or Rock Auto.
I am not to keen on buying anything from Amazon as I regularly get emails from them saying(hackers and scammers I imagine) And have read quite a few comments that they were sent 2 different bulbs in their order.
Can the Phillips bulbs be bought in a 2 pack?
Same thing for the 9011 high beam bulbs if I can find them on the site.

I know that you like the Phillips but wondering if you have heard any feedback from others concerning other brands concerning bulb life and performance ?

Thanks

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the low beams, you actually want to replace the H11 with an H9, here's what I'm running in my 2010. If you wanted to, you can also replace the high beam 9005's with the 9011.

Here's a thread on the swap with more info. It looks like the link to the video referenced in the thread is gone, but I actually found the link in my notes I had saved way back then. The only thing I did different was to trim the tab in the bulb with an exacto knife instead cutting the harness light connector. took all of two minutes.

I got another question for you,These bulbs I found on Walmart.com appear to be the same bulbs that your Amazon link show's with packaging showing the same info but Amazon shows the number as being 12361B1 and the bulbs show as https://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-...Always-Change-In-Pairs/463769339?from=/search

Are these the same bulbs?
If so,I wonder why the difference in nomenclature ?

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I looked on the philips website and cannot find the 9011's
Did they discontinue the bulb's ?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Can the Phillips bulbs be bought in a 2 pack?
Same thing for the 9011 high beam bulbs if I can find them on the site.

I know that you like the Phillips but wondering if you have heard any feedback from others concerning other brands concerning bulb life and performance ?

I haven't seen them in a two pack, but to be honest, I really didn't look that hard. I just bought the first ones I came across when I looked for them. I got those on a recommendation from a thread on here. I haven't really heard any feedback regarding others, other than a lot of folks have said the Sylvania's don't last no matter what flavor of those you get. Some folks say the H9's don't last as long, I guess I've been lucky, mine have been working fine so far. Now that I say that, of course, one is going to go out. When they need to be replaced, I do plan on changing to the Fahren LED's as RamDiver suggests, but I already have AlfaOBD, so no extra expense for me.

Are these the same bulbs?
If so,I wonder why the difference in nomenclature ?

Yeah, that's a good question, maybe they changed something over the years? I bought mine back in 2016.

I just looked closer, if you look at the number right above the bar code on the WallyWorld link, it is the same as the one on Amazon,

I looked on the philips website and cannot find the 9011's
Did they discontinue the bulb's ?

I purchased the 9011's off Amazon also at the same time, they are still available from what I can see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't seen them in a two pack, but to be honest, I really didn't look that hard. I just bought the first ones I came across when I looked for them. I got those on a recommendation from a thread on here. I haven't really heard any feedback regarding others, other than a lot of folks have said the Sylvania's don't last no matter what flavor of those you get. Some folks say the H9's don't last as long, I guess I've been lucky, mine have been working fine so far. Now that I say that, of course, one is going to go out. When they need to be replaced, I do plan on changing to the Fahren LED's as RamDiver suggests, but I already have AlfaOBD, so no extra expense for me.

Yeah, that's a good question, maybe they changed something over the years? I bought mine back in 2016.

I just looked closer, if you look at the number right above the bar code on the WallyWorld link, it is the same as the one on Amazon,

I purchased the 9011's off Amazon also at the same time, they are still available from what I can see.

Thanks,I looked at the Fahren Led's and read all the comments and it seems like The Philips 9011 bulbs Had less complaints than the Fahren Led's did !!

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Standard headlight bulbs dim over time. I like to dirve with headlights on all the time if my rig does not have daytime running lights. Data shows 60% fewer injury accidents when vehicle use light in daytime. Always-on headlights are required for modern motorcycles for a reason. I replaced the bulbs on my 2013 BMW motorcycle recently for this reason - they were getting too dim. The new LEDs are far better and brighter.

I just replaced the headlighs and fog lamps for our 2004 Jeep Wrangler with high quality LEDs and the only question is, Why did I wait so long?

I understand your concern about breaking the bank, but what is your health worth? A simple trip to the ER after a crash would be FAR more expensive than the fanciest headlight bulbs.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks,I looked at the Fahren Led's and read all the comments and it seems like The Philips 9011 bulbs Had less complaints than the Fahren Led's did !!

If you're searching for reasons to avoid purchasing LEDs, you will identify plenty but most aren't too rational.

I looked at the number of actual success stories on this forum and made a decision to try out a specific model of LED.

There are also other brands that appear to be producing successful results such as the Auxito brand.

I bought a set on sale at Amazon but haven't installed them yet. They're a bit more powerful version of LED that I want to try out for the high beams, just for fun.

Most of my driving is on rural highways, seeing further is always better.

Halogen bulbs have been the standard for decades and have been the best bang for the buck even though some of them survived no longer than a 12-month warranty period. Sylvania Bright Star, for example.

Halogen is much cheaper than HID, which for many years has been the only superior alternative.

LED usage has caught up to and surpassed Halogen and in many cases is cheaper, more reliable, much brighter, with far superior warranty periods.

With some older vehicles, there can be a few hoops to jump through and that is just life when adapting new technology to work in older platforms.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought that they might be quads but wasnt sure.

Yes there is a lot of condensation in there and I figure that is severely degrading the lights ability to provide enough light on the Highway.
Maybe just the very age of the lights (11 almost 12 years old)as I dont think that they have ever been changed,as maybe bulbs get dimmer as they age.
I just found out that the High beam on the Passenger side is out as well.

I have watched a few Videos on you tube showing people using a hair dryer to get rid of the condensation and making sure that the vent holes are not plugged so that the condensation has a place to escape and will be doing those things for sure and will probaby put some bags of silica dessicant inside the Headlights as well.

Yes I would like to keep the OEM Housings for sure and sure do not want to be blinding anyone for their sake and I dont want them being blinded and veering in to my lane either.

Although I could order online I could also just go down to the Local Auto zone,Advance auto parts ,O'Reilly or Napa store as well.

Could you recommend a Name brand and Parts number For Halogen Bulbs
And For Led bulbs as well ?

I am wanting to spend as little as possible but still get good bulbs.

P.S.
I Just realized I have been driving for years without Fog Lights as I just found out how to turn them on.
And they dont work when the lights are on bright.

Thank You Much for your information
I will share my recent experience germane to this post.
Recently (almost a year ago) I shut my wife's KIA Sorento down because, at 233,000 miles, the engine was kaput.
Before that, I'd added hotter (more brilliant/brighter) light bulbs in both the headlights and the tail/brake/backup lights.

After finishing up on the engine a few weeks ago, my wife came home from work, and I noticed the right tail light filled with water after a rain. (WTF?) Further inspection revealed heavy condensation in the left side too.

I pulled the housings out (easy-peasy) and noticed that both housings had heat cracks right above the lower brake/tail light compartment. After an internet search and several phone calls, I found out how expensive these units are. Holy Cow!

I cleaned them both up and cut pieces of the aluminum duct repair tape such as in used on home systems and stuck them on. I coated each with "The Right Stuff" gray atv sealant. I then retrofitted proper bulbs.

The headlights haven't cracked or leaked, but have developed fog on the clear plastic front lens area. I treat those with baby oil and the are perfectly clear for up to 2 weeks.

So far, the tail housings have withstood several rain events and are dry.

In closing, this is what worked for me. It is/was a budget driven solution. The baby oil is WAY cheaper than front light units!

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're searching for reasons to avoid purchasing LEDs, you will identify plenty but most aren't too rational.

I looked at the number of actual success stories on this forum and made a decision to try out a specific model of LED.

There are also other brands that appear to be producing successful results such as the Auxito brand.

I bought a set on sale at Amazon but haven't installed them yet. They're a bit more powerful version of LED that I want to try out for the high beams, just for fun.

Most of my driving is on rural highways, seeing further is always better.

Halogen bulbs have been the standard for decades and have been the best bang for the buck even though some of them survived no longer than a 12-month warranty period. Sylvania Bright Star, for example.

Halogen is much cheaper than HID, which for many years has been the only superior alternative.

LED usage has caught up to and surpassed Halogen and in many cases is cheaper, more reliable, much brighter, with far superior warranty periods.

With some older vehicles, there can be a few hoops to jump through and that is just life when adapting new technology to work in older platforms.

I do not think that I am Searching for reasons not to use LED’s.
I am not to use LED’s so badly that I can ignore the downsides of a lot of people saying not to use LED’s in reflector headlights like the quads in my truck either.
The reports I have read that claim flickering or shutting off completely the reports that I read of trying to use the Fahren Led warranty and the warranty being non existent.
On top of having to use an obd and having to use an interface.

I am not talking about using the Sylvian bulbs but the Philips bulbs which seem to have a better rep than the Symbian bulbs and they to my understanding are designed to work in a reflective headlight unlike the LED’s.

As you say it is my truck and I am choosing to use the H9 and the H9011 Halogen bulbs .

I want to use decent bulbs for my quad headlights and not just through a lot of hoops (the way I see it)at a reasonable(from my perspective)
And once again(from my perspective)
This is a very rational decision on my part.

I do appreciate your help and advice
Though.

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Standard headlight bulbs dim over time. I like to dirve with headlights on all the time if my rig does not have daytime running lights. Data shows 60% fewer injury accidents when vehicle use light in daytime. Always-on headlights are required for modern motorcycles for a reason. I replaced the bulbs on my 2013 BMW motorcycle recently for this reason - they were getting too dim. The new LEDs are far better and brighter.

I just replaced the headlighs and fog lamps for our 2004 Jeep Wrangler with high quality LEDs and the only question is, Why did I wait so long?

I understand your concern about breaking the bank, but what is your health worth? A simple trip to the ER after a crash would be FAR more expensive than the fanciest headlight bulbs.
Yes we can agree on being seen on a motorcycle for sure,back when I rode bikes I almost got run over numerous times ,this on a Honda 750,Suzuki Water Buffalo,Harley sportster and a Honda Golding .

It’s not JUST the Concern over Breaking the bank.
I am choosing the Philips 65
Watt bulbs for use in the quad headlights which from the preponderance of what I have read are not designed for a led bulb as it is a reflective headlight.
there is a lot of input that says that the LED bulbs in a reflective headlight diffuse and blind oncoming drivers.
Combined with a lot of reports of flickering with led’s and some shutting completely off when used in vehicles not designed for them leads me to believe that the use the 65 Watt Halogen bulbs will go a lot farther toward preventing a crash and a trip to the ER than a Led bulb that blinds a oncoming driver.

Just being seen in a vehicle is not enough,I want to be seen without blinding the person meeting me
And be able to see myself and feel like the 65 watt halogenbulbs will do that for me.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not to use LED’s so badly that I can ignore the downsides of a lot of people saying not to use LED’s in reflector headlights like the quads in my truck either.
The reports I have read that claim flickering or shutting off completely the reports that I read of trying to use the Fahren Led warranty and the warranty being non existent.
On top of having to use an obd and having to use an interface.

I am not talking about using the Sylvian bulbs but the Philips bulbs which seem to have a better rep than the Symbian bulbs and they to my understanding are designed to work in a reflective headlight unlike the LED’s.

As you say it is my truck and I am choosing to use the H9 and the H9011 Halogen bulbs .

I want to use decent bulbs for my quad headlights and not just through a lot of hoops (the way I see it)at a reasonable(from my perspective)
And once again(from my perspective)
This is a very rational decision on my part.

I do appreciate your help and advice
Though.

You're most welcome.

And, I apologize for my previous use of the term 'rational', it wasn't accurate and I didn't mean any disrespect.

The internet is coagulated with more misinformation than accurate facts and it's always a challenge to wade through the BS, to find the truth.

Best of luck with your lighting upgrades.

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will share my recent experience germane to this post.
Recently (almost a year ago) I shut my wife's KIA Sorento down because, at 233,000 miles, the engine was kaput.
Before that, I'd added hotter (more brilliant/brighter) light bulbs in both the headlights and the tail/brake/backup lights.

After finishing up on the engine a few weeks ago, my wife came home from work, and I noticed the right tail light filled with water after a rain. (WTF?) Further inspection revealed heavy condensation in the left side too.

I pulled the housings out (easy-peasy) and noticed that both housings had heat cracks right above the lower brake/tail light compartment. After an internet search and several phone calls, I found out how expensive these units are. Holy Cow!

I cleaned them both up and cut pieces of the aluminum duct repair tape such as in used on home systems and stuck them on. I coated each with "The Right Stuff" gray atv sealant. I then retrofitted proper bulbs.

The headlights haven't cracked or leaked, but have developed fog on the clear plastic front lens area. I treat those with baby oil and the are perfectly clear for up to 2 weeks.

So far, the tail housings have withstood several rain events and are dry.

In closing, this is what worked for me. It is/was a budget driven solution. The baby oil is WAY cheaper than front light units!
Now that is interesting information

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well Walmart sent the 2 H9 Bulbs and the 2 H9011 bulbs ,I have not felt like going to put them in yet but when I do I want to make sure that I am doing this right.
I have read that I need to clean the bulbs with alcohol to make sure they are clean, then I need to use rubber gloves to put them in to keep oils from my fingers from creating hot spots that may cause bulb failure.

Does it make any difference if I use Rubbing alcohol of isopropyl alcohol ?

I am also thinking that as big a pain as it is to change bulbs that I may check the bulbs with a multi meter before I put them in the headlight to make sure they are good.
Also on the High beam that is out on the passenger side check to see if in fact the Bulb is the issue or maybe it is a wiring issue.
And of course I have to dry the Moisture out of both Headlights first.
And I am going to see about finding a rubber o-ring to use to make sure where the bulb goes in to the headlight to make sure there is a good seal there.
Also going to check and make sure that the Vents are not pushed in too far and to make sure that they are not clogged up.

Anything else I need to do while I am in there ?

Thanks