Which tires to go with

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STYSMason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Im am going to run 35's, but don't want something noisy and don't want to roughen up the ride. Im considering either 35 terra grappler g2 or 35 trail grappler. Whats everyones opinion on these option?
Thanks

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
As far as noise goes, if anything the trail grappler(mud terrain) will be louder than the terra grappler(all terrain) due to the aggressive tread pattern. This being said, I've ridden in tons of trucks with 35's with the trail grapplers and I didn't notice any excessive noise. Friend of mine said once they're worn they're a lot louder on the highway and that he would never buy them again - but when he got his new truck he put the same tires on them. Theoretically the trail grapplers will also wear faster, this is to be expected with mud tires of any brand but taken care of they will still last a long time in my opinion - my mud tires are wearing nicely and not very fast. If you're looking for a badass look, I would go for the trail grapplers because they're more aggressive. If you aren't looking for the badass look and just want bigger tires, I would go for the terra grapplers. I don't think you'll be unhappy with either of them.

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
You might want to look into the Toyo Open Country AT2 Extreme's...

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having the same debate as well. Looking at the toyos as well, so any opinion or pics would be great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Saltbreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Cooper discoverer stt maxx. Aggressive and super quiet love mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've owned both of the Nitto tires you're looking at, and if you really don't want excessive noise the Terra Grappler G2 is the tire for you. Even that tire is going to be a bit louder than stock. Sound is very subjective, but to me the Trail Graps are just way too noisy on the street if you put any real miles on the truck.

The Toyo OC AT2 is also a great tire, very comparable to the G2. They're both made by the same company in the same factory. I prefer the look of the sidewall and tread of the newer G2 but the difference is minor.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
be careful putting an e rated tire on a light duty truck,or you'll be looking at a really stiff ride.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Exactly. If a smooth ride is important, stay with a D rated tire. An E rated tire will ride rougher and isn't needed on a half ton truck. Heck, I have D's on my 2500, but I don't do any heavy towing or hauling. Also, an all terrain will will be quieter and usually perform better on pavement than a mud tire and usually last longer. I think the Terra Grappplers or Toyo AT's will be your best choice for your needs. But if you just love the way a MT looks the Trail Grapplers or Toyo MT's are your best bet.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The trail grapplers are loud, and pretty rough. They aren't much better than mud grapplers IMO. (I actually like mud grapplers, but they are loud) I wouldn't even consider them. 99% of people that have them get them because they saw them in a magazine, or on some company truck, or because they are new or whatever the hype is. It happens every time. Even with wheels, think about all the rockstars in the late 2000s. On every truck in the world. And tire wise, trail grapplers and those federal M/Ts (which I can assure you are terrible riding too) are both trending.

Anyways.... Toyo M/T is the quietest and best riding m/t you can find. They were super popular around the time of the rockstar wheels too, but kind of fallen off now because they are so old. People like new styles but there is a reason toyo has been so successful for the past decade with their M/T.

The trail grappler is patterned a lot like the BFG KM1 and the Goodyear MTR, ever had experience with either of those after about 10k miles? Good luck. Ive owned Boggers and TSLs that rode better.

Point of this, I wouldn't buy the trail grapplers. And as suggested, stay with a D range tire for the best ride.

one last though, **** cepek Fun country 2.... friend of mine had them, great tire. sold a few sets too. Everyone seems to like them, they do have a slightly louder than average hum for an all terrain I would say but its not bad.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just purchased a set of 35x1250x20 cooper max stt for my wife's jeep. Love them Will be purchasing for my dodge once I decide on wheels.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The trail grapplers are loud, and pretty rough. They aren't much better than mud grapplers IMO. (I actually like mud grapplers, but they are loud) I wouldn't even consider them. 99% of people that have them get them because they saw them in a magazine, or on some company truck, or because they are new or whatever the hype is. It happens every time. Even with wheels, think about all the rockstars in the late 2000s. On every truck in the world. And tire wise, trail grapplers and those federal M/Ts (which I can assure you are terrible riding too) are both trending.

Anyways.... Toyo M/T is the quietest and best riding m/t you can find. They were super popular around the time of the rockstar wheels too, but kind of fallen off now because they are so old. People like new styles but there is a reason toyo has been so successful for the past decade with their M/T.

The trail grappler is patterned a lot like the BFG KM1 and the Goodyear MTR, ever had experience with either of those after about 10k miles? Good luck. Ive owned Boggers and TSLs that rode better.

Point of this, I wouldn't buy the trail grapplers. And as suggested, stay with a D range tire for the best ride.

one last though, **** cepek Fun country 2.... friend of mine had them, great tire. sold a few sets too. Everyone seems to like them, they do have a slightly louder than average hum for an all terrain I would say but its not bad.
Toyos are sooooooooo much better than trail grapplers. Rep?

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the hankook at/m 285/75/16 tires on my last truck. Its their all terrain tire and I absolutely loved them. They were a lot quieter than the toyo all terrain tires I replaced them with. I was truly amazed when I got on the freeway the difference in noise. The toyo tires were about half to 3/4 worn out though. I got great traction on the snow and ice with them too. People in the parking lot couldnt believe I made it up the mountain to go snowboarding in just 2wd and no chains. The best part about those tires; I had 70,000 miles on them when I sold the truck!!! Pretty sure I could have made it to 100k

McRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just replaced discoverer STTs with the new Toyo Open Country R/Ts (between A/T and M/T. They look great, pretty aggressive are so much quieter. The STTs wore pretty quick and got noisier.

picture.php

MR.Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally have had both the terra and now the trail just had the trail grappler installed they are a bit more noisy but not by mutch. I like the trail grappler because of the agressive look and the terra has a 45,000 mile life and the trail has a 40,000 mile life price between the two are not that much different.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Love Nitto and won't use another brand of tires.

If you don't actually drive in mud (like several days a week) then the Terra Grapplers are fine.

Coolmaxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ive got the nitto terra G2 on my truck and love em. they are more noise than the stock but not bad at all