Whipple kiiiiit!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Probably not well... That transmission isn't know for being very stout.

Thats what I was thinking. Its only been out since '14 though, hasn't it? My fear is the frankenstein job of parts from the 68rfe and 65rfe. Likely fine on stock, add too much and it will grenade.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Mopar_Magic_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Now you guys have me worried about my trans (66RFE)...lol

I wonder how this would help 6.4L towing? I haven't had any issues with lack of HP or TQ but we all know more is better.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Really just that I just want to stick with using the Dragpak intake manifold. I already have a lot of money invested in that intake and the 4150 flange nitrous plate system. If Whipple would have agreed to work with me a year ago, I would have been more than ready to throw one on the truck.

Ahhhh that makes sense... Well dang. You should buy one for the tow pig then. :roflsquared:

If you plan is to do a srt10 type ram air hood or a fuctional RT hood then I understand, other than that I don't think the vararam is more superior to a S&B or a few others out for them. And like I said, I wouldn't want to cover up that sexy ass unit. A custom intake setup routed to the grill or fog light would work just as good

Any sort of Ram air type intake would help. The hood is just the most convenient place. You could set it up to not cover the supercharger when you open the hood though.

I'm not wanting to cut out a foglight though. The grill idea might work, but you'd have to relocated your overflow or washer bottle, neither of which is a big deal.

Thats what I was thinking. Its only been out since '14 though, hasn't it? My fear is the frankenstein job of parts from the 68rfe and 65rfe. Likely fine on stock, add too much and it will grenade.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I may have been thinking of the wrong transmission... All I know is the eight speed is vastly superior to the older 5 and 6 speeds.

Now you guys have me worried about my trans (66RFE)...lol

I wonder how this would help 6.4L towing? I haven't had any issues with lack of HP or TQ but we all know more is better.

I would imagine the truck would downshift less... Other than that, if your cooling is adequate, your MPGs shouldn't really change much.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Whipple is a twin screw positive displacement supercharger. The Twin Vortices Series (TVS) is a roots style positive displacement supercharger with a more efficient rotor design...

This might be asking a lot, but you wouldn't happen to have diagrams or photos of the difference? It has been my understanding that the TVS is a twin screw positive displacement far superior to the roots. I'm not saying what I think I know is correct, I'm asking for visual clarification. That's why I come to the forums... to learn.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This might be asking a lot, but you wouldn't happen to have diagrams or photos of the difference? It has been my understanding that the TVS is a twin screw positive displacement far superior to the roots. I'm not saying what I think I know is correct, I'm asking for visual clarification. That's why I come to the forums... to learn.

all%20superchargers.jpg

other then that if you google roots vs twin screw supercharger plenty of websites explain the difference

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Hey, I'm happy to share what knowledge I have! Wanting to learn is never something to be ashamed of, especially if you have the balls to admit what you don't know.

The twin screw has two completely separate rotor designs that are mated to one another, like threads on a screw.

twin%20screw%20rotors_zpst31nbxw2.jpg

The roots has two identical profile rotors that are mated to each other. A common setup is a three lobe rotor with a 60 degree twist.
roots%20rotors_zpsf4doflqz.jpg

The TVS is a roots blower, but with a different rotor design. It uses a four lobe rotor instead of three, and a 160 degree twist instead of the 60 in a normal roots.
roots%20rotors_zps0ndon8kv.jpg

Here's a comparison of the roots and TVS:
3vs4lobe_zpslyxtoqb3.jpg

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, I'm happy to share what knowledge I have! Wanting to learn is never something to be ashamed of, especially if you have the balls to admit what you don't know.

The twin screw has two completely separate rotor designs that are mated to one another, like threads on a screw.

twin%20screw%20rotors_zpst31nbxw2.jpg

The roots has two identical profile rotors that are mated to each other. A common setup is a three lobe rotor with a 60 degree twist.
roots%20rotors_zpsf4doflqz.jpg

The TVS is a roots blower, but with a different rotor design. It uses a four lobe rotor instead of three, and a 160 degree twist instead of the 60 in a normal roots.
roots%20rotors_zps0ndon8kv.jpg

Here's a comparison of the roots and TVS:
3vs4lobe_zpslyxtoqb3.jpg

Pictures are worth 1000 words. So why is one better than the other? I'm more familiar with turbos. Centris make sense to me because they are basically mechanically run turbos. I'm not so in the know on screw type blowers.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Tow pig might be replaced soon with something that already has boost.

Yea, I saw that, and I can't blame him at all. I was mulling over trading mine in for a 2011-2014 Super Duty, but figured I'd wait a while.

Pictures are worth 1000 words. So why is one better than the other? I'm more familiar with turbos. Centris make sense to me because they are basically mechanically run turbos. I'm not so in the know on screw type blowers.

The roots have identical rotors that spin at the same speed. Basically, they're just air pumps.

The twin screw, because it uses a male and female rotor that spin at different speeds, actually compresses the air as it pumps it, which is a far more efficient process than just pumping the air and having to fight against backpressure. Because the air is partially compressed with the motion of the rotor, there's less backpressure to fight on the twin screw. That's why at lower boost levels and RPMs, there's no real advantage to a twin screw, but when you get up to high boost and RPMs, they completely outpace the roots blowers.

Hopefully that explains it for the most part. Another thing you can look at is P/V (pressure vs. volume) charts for different compressor types. Basically it shows the efficiency of the compressor for different flow rates at different pressures. Pretty interesting stuff and a good way to compare specific blowers.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good stuff to know. So out of curiosity, what type of blowers are those insane top fuel dragsters running? Are they a roots style?

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good stuff to know. So out of curiosity, what type of blowers are those insane top fuel dragsters running? Are they a roots style?

I want to say the rules restrict them to using a roots blower... I could be wrong though.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to say the rules restrict them to using a roots blower... I could be wrong though.

You're probably right. Those things are on a whole other level than the kind of stuff we play with though. I read somewhere it takes close to 1000 hp just to spin one of those things. It is a sound of beauty though.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You're probably right. Those things are on a whole other level than the kind of stuff we play with though. I read somewhere it takes close to 1000 hp just to spin one of those things. It is a sound of beauty though.

Go Google them lol.

A few fun facts:
Those blowers make like 65+ psi and the engines put out somewhere near 10,000hp.
The crank literally twists so much that they change the cam design to account for it.
The spark plugs burn out about halfway down the track, so the engine runs on a diesel cycle for the last half of the run because the exhaust valves are so hot.
There's no transmission on the car; the clutch slips most of the way down the track and usually ends up welding several of the plates together.

And so on...

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh, I was at the Gatornationals a few years ago. I learned a lot about them. I thought it was awesome. At one of the booths they had a table of "blowed up" parts. One was a piston with a valve head imbedded literally halfway into it, like it had been machined that way. It's awesome to think that one of those engines has more power than the first 5 rows of a NASCAR lineup. Also, I don't think the spark plugs make it quite half track. I think they pretty much turn into glow plugs the second the Nitro gets thrown at them. That's what nearly killed some female driver a few years back. She did her run and shut down the fuel to kill the engine when she was slowing down. Somehow the fuel got turned back on and the engine lit up and sent her flying off the end of the track into the dirt.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yup, they are Roots style blowers, the rules say them must be a 14-71, they usually run about 60-70psi and have a built in 200psi burst panel. Takes alot of HP just to run one of these things. They are MASSIVE.

I'll have to see if I can find any pics of the AJPE engines and Chargers we ran back in the day on the N&S CASE funny car.

Here is some info on the MK-II used on top fuel cars, They start at about $25k
BME, Bill Miller Supercharger

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, I was at the Gatornationals a few years ago. I learned a lot about them. I thought it was awesome. At one of the booths they had a table of "blowed up" parts. One was a piston with a valve head imbedded literally halfway into it, like it had been machined that way. It's awesome to think that one of those engines has more power than the first 5 rows of a NASCAR lineup.

They have about 11,000hp. I wish I kept some of the stuff from back in the day when the farm I worked with dabbled with a Nitro funny car for a few years. The owner was an ******* but was a talented driver when he wasn't blowing up cars. He tried to tune and drive and wouldn't listen to others and pretty much blew up engine after engine. Too bad he was crooked as all can be and disappeared owing alot of people alot of $$$. I wish I knew what happened to all the race car stuff... It was a fun experience for a few years and 4-5 races a year. Kinda miss it and if I ever won the lottery that is where my $$$ is going .... down the race track!!!
:roflsquared:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you ever get to Fld. if you have a chance stop by the Don Garlits' Museum. He has a lot of his older dragsters, stockers and funny cars there. Really interesting--time well spent.
Jay