Why do my leaf springs keep cracking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Yeah. Had new springs installed in 2014. Driver side had a leaf crack in like 6 months. Had it fixed on my fine because some ******** about the spring maker said the only way it would break is abuse. Whatever. Paid the hundred bucks to my mechanic for the repair.

Now I just noticed the same leaf on the passenger side is cracked. WTF?
These are barely 2 years old.
On top of that they've been squeaky and creaky since shortly after installing them and my guy was like "hey they're leaf springs, they make noise".

Anyway, my truck is not "abused". It's my daily driver and my baby. I do not beat on it whatsoever and the heaviest load in the bed has been maybe some Sheetrock or a couch.

Any logical reason why these springs suck and keep breaking?
I even had new shackles installed when the first leaf broke.
Btw, it's not the main leafs that are breaking, it's like the second one.

I'm pissed. I haven't went and seen my mechanic yet but I know I'm gonna get a line of ********.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Local company. They've been in business forever. But, they are kinda winding down, probably won't be in business much longer. Ailmost every shop in a 50/75 mile radius uses them. I used them back in the day when we had the family body shop and they were great, great reputation but that was like over 20 years ago.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It sounds to me like a QC issue with the manufacture. Not tempered correctly. If they are worth anything, they'll stand behind a 2 year old spring. Abuse would show up in other places if it is what led to a busted leaf. Something you said made me think... you said they've been noisy since you had them installed... I wonder if the spring hasn't been broken for longer than you might think.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
leaf springs crack due to too much load for the design or too weak of metal, no other reason. Find a new source for your springs.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I was checking them and lubing them before the first spring broke. Had to keep wd40'ing them every few weeks because the squeaks and creaks were driving me nuts.

So after I think 6 months or so I found the first cracked leaf on the d/s.
They replaced the cracked leaf for $100.

So today I noticed this one cracked on the p/s. Same leaf.
I'm dreading going to the shop tomorrow. If you don't hear from me anymore it's because I got locked up.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Would bad or improperly torqued ubolts have anything to do wih this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 71

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
nope. No direct pressure or tension on that leaf from the shackles

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
So just ****** springs or defective?
I've never, ever had a broken spring happen to me before and I've owned God knows how many leaf sprung vehicles.

I paid a lot for these too. I think like 300+ per side.
Had them installed in either April or May of 2014.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had two oem sets break on same leafs as you recently. I thought it was due to my 2" drop shackles so put oem shackles back on yet same problem happened. This time i put leaf brackets on them more so as a safety feature, afraid if the leaf spit out towards the wheel i would die since my last sprung out into the gas tank on the highway doing 75. But since i put the brackets on just one on each side on the rear since oem only had towards front of the truck i feel like the ride quality is much better and so far no broken leafs even with the 2" drop shackles back on.

my belief is just due to design with no sway bar or control arms back there the leafs are the only thing keeping the rear aligned in all directions at all times well the shocks help a bit to, but to me way too much going on back there to rely on leafs and shocks to control all the loads.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I mostly drive my truck like an old grandpa. I just can't understand why this is happening with no adverse conditions at all. There's not even 10,000 miles on these springs.
I've owned way too many leaf sprung vehicles under worse conditions, high mileage original springs and no issues. Something isn't right. It might just be manufacturing defect but these ass clowns should stand behind their product.

Btw, what is the normal or average warranty on a set of leaf springs?

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a pic of the entire springs, it's hard to tell but are the primary and helper springs completely straight? Is your truck lowered/lifted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Tough to get good shot of entire spring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Other than the broken leaf everything appears legit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 52

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
trucks and cars have been using rear leaf springs for suspension for over a hundred years, so are they capable of handling the job? hell, yeah.
One thing I am curious about is if the bolts going thru the bushings were tightened AFTER the springs were "normally loaded" with bed empty, weight of truck supported on all 4 tires. That may be where the spring noise was coming from.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Looks like u just got a set of crappy springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely yes.
But, scumbags should stand by the product.
Now I'll have to spend another hundred bucks or so to have the stupid leaf replaced.

Does anybody know what an average warranty period is for leaf springs?
I can't seem to find a straight answer.

woody31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Special Service Vehicle
OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year