Why I Love my Ram but miss my Silverado...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingtchr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I purchased my Dodge Ram, I couldn't have been more happy and excited. I had always wanted to own a Ram (HEMI), but for some reason I had fallen into the Chevy market.

I purchased a 2018 Ram, was in heaven, and enjoyed everything about this truck. It was powerful, smooth shifting and classy. I couldn't have been happier. However, you know that old saying, “All things must come to an end”.

Let me start in factual order of what's been happening. This is all facts, not conjecture, just what's happened to this guy who so loved this truck.

Fuel Tank: For some reason the check ball keeps stopping by popping the fuel pump handle when I'm trying to fill it up. It’s frustrating that I have to stand there and constantly restart the pump to add gas. This was supposed to have fixed but it hasn't stopped. Maybe this is a good thing since gas is creeping up it will keep me focused on my MPG’s. But to set the handle and let it go does not happen. I have to have a hand on it constantly. This was supposed to have been fixed with my transmission but is still acts funny.

Transmission: On January 17 of 2019 as I was driving to work, I thought I was rear-ended. It was crazy, like I did a hitch kick bad. It was dark, so It was scary. After realizing I was not hit, I realized the engine shut off (I guess this was supposed to happen). When I turned the car back on, I noticed the check engine light. I put it into gear and I was only able to drive at a very low speed (I guess this is supposed to happen as well). I was literally two blocks from the dealership and was able to drive it into the car bay from where I purchased the vehicle.

I was told after two days that I was to get an entire transmission replacement. It took about two weeks but I was well taken care of by the dealership.

Life after the new transmission:
Bottom line, I keep getting pops and slaps when I shift into gear. I have read and was told this is normal for this truck and transmission, but it didn't do this prior to the new transmission. I have taken it into the dealer and they have given it a clean bill of health. I believe them. However, when driving, I feel like I’m being kicked in the rear end. The shifting is horrible and I have lost trust in this truck.

That's the end of the story. I am focused now on paying this truck down so I can move back to the Chevy Market. As I write this, I just sigh and shake my head because this is a nice looking truck.

Thanks for reading as this was therapeutic.

Just a note as well: the dealership has been fine with me. I understand they have specifications and bulletins that dictate what they can do etc. All the service techs have treated me well.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your misfortune. My first RAM(2015 Laramie) had the cam/lifters go out at 32K miles. My present RAM a 2017 Laramie has been flawless through 27K miles. The quality difference between the is night and day. I owned two 2014 Silverados before the RAM and both had serious vibration issues that were unfixable not to mention they rode worse than a Conestoga wagon. The problems you are experiencing are not normal so stay on the dealer to sort them out.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The transmission shouldn't act like that.
Can you try another dealer and take them on a test ride and point out exactly what it is doing?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The only thing I miss about my silverado was the after market camper shell.

And you can't compare generations of trucks, new trucks are just gonna have a lot of **** that breaks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know this is outside the box, but if you were to buy an early 4 gen and dump 10 grand into the transmsion and keep money back for when you need an engine, you will have a damn near bullet proof truck that won truck of the year 4 outta the last 10 years. Especially living in the west where vehicles don't rust out. I would suggest 2011/2013 with 3.92's. If by chnace this interests you at all, PM me I have some great info. If not, good luck in the Chevy, hopefully it works out.

My last three chevy's where all lemons man, and I won 13 grnad on lemon case against the avalanche. All 3 of them had poisenous AC! My wife and I breathed in mold until we could get rid of them.

waynestractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear about your issues. I went from Chev to Ram a number of years ago and couldn't be happier. My buddy bought a 2018 GMC 1500 brand new and has had nothing but trouble from about 5,000km. They have replaced the torque converter 3 times trying to fix an odd clunking issue, and he is now fighting them to put a new tranny in it. It is up for sale...

I bought a 2010 Laramie 1500 to replace my rusty bust trusty '07.5 2500 Cummins...it has 144,000kms and the previous owner has had no issues other than one of the e brake shoes sticking when it was parked for a couple of months. My 2500 has 400,000km and is absolutely perfect mechanically.

Hope things work out for you.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
That sucks man. Mine has been great so far. Like others stated, I'd try another dealer if for no other reason a bit of sanity. If you think the transmission is not right, have them ride along and show them. Their tech will get in and rally it around the block, then call it normal if you're not with him/her.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After working in an assembly plant for over 14 years I can tell you this, 2 trucks go down the line one right after the other. These 2 are identical in every way, option and color. The two trucks come off the line one is perfect goes straight through all other tests and prep then sent to shipping. The other has issues, goes to the repair area gets fixed on several issues before it gets shipped.

Both trucks get old to people like us, the first truck the owner is the happiest owner in the world he truck never has problems for years. The owner of the second truck hates his. It is always in the shop for one thing or another. Both get on the internet to tell others about their experiences good and bad.

The moral of the story? It's all about luck and how you handle it. No line worker ever wants the customer to end up with the lemon, it affects their jobs.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have both, a 2010 Silverado 1500 CC 2wd with the 5.3l engine currently 120k miles, and let me tell you what I’ve done to it, gas, trans/ diff fluid, coolant, spark plugs, a little lift and 3 set of tires. My 2014 RAM Hemi powered have had about the same plus a new fuel pump, passenger side head and all manifold bolts. Currently 80k miles. In my case Chevy wins hands down in the reliability department.

I get better MPG with the RAM considering both trucks can run on 4 cyl but I have that bs disabled in the tune for both, plus the RAM looks better and it’s 4x4.

All in all I enjoy having both trucks. Wife drives the Chevy.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's interesting that the OP major complaint is the transmissions and looking forward to going back to a GM.
GM is being sued for their 8 spd and the 10 spd is having some teething issues itself. Overall you read about very few problems with the 8HP line of transmissions. I think most of the complaints on this forum is people think they run too warm. With the number 8HP70s I've read about well into the 100K mark and several more topping over 200K( also one at 600K) using stock cooling, I don't think temperature an issue.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
imo the worst thing about these 8 speeds (ram) is the programming and shift points. they shift waaayyyy to early. aleays low rpm and lugging. what pleasure experience does one get with a truck that is constantly lugging. i get the whole mpg wars....but come on. let the customer decide.....do you want a 4 cyl half ton? then buy one. but if i want a big motor v8 half ton why cant i get one. why do i need 4 cyl stuff in it. stuff that imo causes other issues. dont get me wrong....the 8 speed is efficient and very smooth. i love havi g the power right where i need it. but if im driving casually in drive, i cant stand this truck because it is always lugging low rpm. if gm can get the 8 speed right paired with that 6.2l engine, its going to be a good combo.

that silverado is one ugly truck tho. sierra looks much better.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was in Chevy's and GMC's for nearly 40 yrs before I bought mine. I consider myself fortunate in that I never had any serious mechanical issue. My last two GMC Sierra 2500 HDs were well north of 125,000 when I traded them in. Never had any issue. I'm hopeful the Ram will follow my luck thus far. For me the bottom line was the cost...GMC has just about priced themselves out of the truck market for people that actually use a truck.

Good luck with the Chevy, personally, I think the newer ones are kinda ugly. I've got two friends with a 2018 and 2019. One loves his (2018)...the other, not so much.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The only thing I miss about my silverado was the after market camper shell.

And you can't compare generations of trucks, new trucks are just gonna have a lot of **** that breaks.
Weird. I find new trucks break way less often. Don’t remember old trucks lasting 200k, 300k. Less nannies for sure. But reliability? I’ll take this new stuff lol.

fastbike02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know this is outside the box, but if you were to buy an early 4 gen and dump 10 grand into the transmsion and keep money back for when you need an engine, you will have a damn near bullet proof truck that won truck of the year 4 outta the last 10 years. Especially living in the west where vehicles don't rust out. I would suggest 2011/2013 with 3.92's. If by chnace this interests you at all, PM me I have some great info. If not, good luck in the Chevy, hopefully it works out.

My last three chevy's where all lemons man, and I won 13 grnad on lemon case against the avalanche. All 3 of them had poisenous AC! My wife and I breathed in mold until we could get rid of them.

I bought an avalanche too, thanks to it I will never own another chevy product! only good thing about that truck was the 5.3 ls engine and it even knocked when it was cold started on a cold day

Farmer17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I just sold a GM car and won't be buying another GM product for a LONG time. It was babied and always serviced by the dealer and we should have dumped the car before it had 100K miles because we kept it to 150K miles and spent enough on repairs we could have bought a new vehicle.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Burla, good advice as always. My 2011 with 4.10s is going to stay with me for the foreseeable future.

But you ought to be able to replace the 5/645RFE with a built unit for less than $10,000, don't you think?

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Burla, good advice as always. My 2011 with 4.10s is going to stay with me for the foreseeable future.

But you ought to be able to replace the 5/645RFE with a built unit for less than $10,000, don't you think?

he was talking about trans and cam/lifters. 2 big issues that once taken care of give you an extremely solid truck.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
imo the worst thing about these 8 speeds (ram) is the programming and shift points. they shift waaayyyy to early. aleays low rpm and lugging. what pleasure experience does one get with a truck that is constantly lugging. i get the whole mpg wars....but come on. let the customer decide.....do you want a 4 cyl half ton? then buy one. but if i want a big motor v8 half ton why cant i get one. why do i need 4 cyl stuff in it. stuff that imo causes other issues. dont get me wrong....the 8 speed is efficient and very smooth. i love havi g the power right where i need it. but if im driving casually in drive, i cant stand this truck because it is always lugging low rpm. if gm can get the 8 speed right paired with that 6.2l engine, its going to be a good combo.

that silverado is one ugly truck tho. sierra looks much better.

That's odd, on my 2016 it doesn't lug the motor at all, in fact it downshifts at the least amount of throttle. I actually wish it would lug a bit more and hold the gear just a bit longer than it does.
I do have the 3.92's so maybe that makes a difference.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
That's odd, on my 2016 it doesn't lug the motor at all, in fact it downshifts at the least amount of throttle. I actually wish it would lug a bit more and hold the gear just a bit longer than it does.
I do have the 3.92's so maybe that makes a difference.

not sure we are talking about the same thing. i have 321 gears....never again. going by what you wrote, sounds like you are are saying it shifts easily from 1 to 2 to 3 etc with very little throttle. and that you wish it would hold 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc longer before shifting. if so...thats exactly what im saying. it shifts to the next gear as soon as possible. so its always low rpm. want to excellerate...you lug the motor a bit to get rpms up to where it gets into power band. does this constantly. sute its not bad if you stomp the gas every time....i dont drive like that. i was going through town the other day and had to slow a bit for car turning ahead. slowed down to around 20. the truck stayed in 5th gear. engine lugged as i slowly crept up in speed. no reason for this. its dumb and unnecessary in a 400hp v8 engine. lastly...why would it be a good idea for the trans to down shift from 2nd into first gear at 15mph? seems a little fast for that. does it everytime i come to the stop sign by my house in the morning. i try my best to keep it in 2nd but not always successful.