Will 02-06 tail lights work in a 07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamWeasel26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 07 1500 and it has the bubbled out tail lights and i dont like them. i like the rounded ones that came on the 05-06. Does anyone know if i buy a set of the 05-06 will they fit into the truck. i know the headlights are different but didnt know about the tail lights.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
they will mount but I believe some wiring needs to be done. There are people one here who have done it or are doing it. You might check with MADDOG I believe he was getting ready to switch his out

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
From what I remember on a thread a while back, it's a huge pain in the ass. Granted, you could probably just run some wires from the front turn signals and the 3rd brake light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It's a pain, the brake and taillight bulbs are separate on your truck but te same bulb on 02-06
There a some tinted LED tails for your truck the use that style

OP
OP
R

RamWeasel26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yea i just dont like the batman bubbled ones that come on the truck. i see that i can order led replacements that are the smooth rounded kind but seen the ones for the 06 are only 50 dollars on ebay vs 130 for the led ones.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Recon has a smooth set for the back of yours. I just tossed a set on the 07 at the shop that look like 02-06 tails but have the connections for the 07 harness.

OP
OP
R

RamWeasel26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Know anyone that has done the mod to switch the 07 tail lights to the 06 style. dont throw away anymore parts lol i always like upgrading lol

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's not plug and play. You have to rewire the older tail lights so they work with the 07 harness.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
just get the LED ones.........

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not plug and play. You have to rewire the older tail lights so they work with the 07 harness.

Have you done the 06 to 07 style ?

I believe he has but I have also. I too hate the Chevy look alike tails and swapped to a set of 05's I got on the forums for a great baragain. The pigtails are completely different but call a local junk yard and you might be able to get a set of the taillight wring harnesses so all you have to do is splice the wires together instead of doing like I did and strike out at every junkyard and eBay then making a trip to RadioShack and making my own connectors. A test light is a great help to make sure you have the right bulbs lighting up when they should.

As stated before the Recon or eBay lookalike led tails are the easiest way to do this mod.

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
We talked via PM.

I have a 06 and like the 07 bubble style.Pretty much have came to the conclusion that it is not worth doing.I talked to another guy on a different forum and he never really seemed friendly about it.He talked about running them off the trailer brake harness.

I have had a mess with mine taken the bed off and smashing my wires which lead to a fried TIPM and new 06 harness.I tried some of retro solutions led bulbs and they are good but one went bad and the other two broke literary snapped,They offered me new ones but I would have to print a paper out and don't have a printer..Just more hassle then it is worth trying to get new ones.

I actually just got done 2 days ago straighten everything out.I had the dealer install the new harness after I could not get it to work,took it to them and they installed the harnesses and informed me that my TIPM was bad and half a$$ the new harnesses with tape.So I pulled everything cut,striped, solider,and heat shrunk everything.

So I have had one heck of a time with my lights.I now have stock halogen bulbs in it and will be ordering my next set of led's for superbrightleds.

HEMIsteveical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well,I have done this conversion. It sucks! You have to buy the prior yr tail lights on Ebay first,then buy factory harnesses to plug into them (I can find the part numbers for you,possibly. I think I got them off Dodge's website on the body builder's section). But as was stated before,the number of bulbs used on each side is different on the 06-08. I spent hours with an ohmmeter ohming out each pin to find out how the new lights were wired,and what changes I had to make. If you're going to do this,also buy the inner-fender liners from Mopar. You'll notice that the back side of your stock lights and wiring are coated with mud from the tires. Buy the liners,too. They look nice.