Windshield washer not working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As the title says, my windshield washer isn't working. I push the button in to start it and all I get is the wipers going back and forth, but no washer fluid sprays out to clean the windshield.

Anyone else had this problem before? Could it be just the motor used to run this or maybe clogged? It was working maybe back in February. I know for the last maybe 4 weeks it hasn't worked.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Do you hear the motor working? Maybe you can pop the hood and have someone else push the button in the truck.

I tore mine apart because the sensor was coated and kept saying Low Wash. If you do the same, you can see if the motor or not spins still as water should just pour through it. That or the connection just fell out as remote as that might be.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine just recently did the same thing. I would push the button and the wipers would move but no spray or even noise from the pump. I replaced the pump with one I bought from ebay and everything works as it should now.

OP
OP
Darkflow

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to be able to hear the motor/pump but these last few days I haven't heard it. I just went ahead and bought a new pump from RockAuto. Hopefully its the problem, which im guessing it might be since I can no longer hear it trying/working.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Curious... with the season changing did either of you change the washer fluid?

I ask because I have seen it happen one other time to a member that added RainX window washer fluid to his and they stopped working.

Drained that and add the cheap blue stuff back in and they worked!

Just a thought..

OP
OP
Darkflow

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I might have added that RainX. Greenish kind of looking liquid? If i remember correctly. This last time I added a blue one from advanced auto parts thinking it was just low/empty and that's why it wasn't spraying anything.

OP
OP
Darkflow

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New pump arrived. I haven't installed it yet but last night I washed the truck. So I decided to try the washers again and I think I'm hearing it tryjng/working. I'm hearing a noise, I guess some what like a humming sound when i push the button. Wipers start moving, but no fluid coming out. Could it possibly be clogged up maybe and fluid just isn't being allowed through?

I'm going to work on it Saturday afternoon and hopefully fix it.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If the pump is running and you're getting nothing, could be clogged or a line off somewhere. Could still be the pump though, even it running it may not be pumping anymore. Keep us updated.

Stealth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check to make sure your hoses are connected under the hood insulation. Mine recently stopped working and after trying them for a while I lifted the hood and saw fluid coming from above the insulation.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
mine is not working neither. i found out about a month ago. everytime i push it squirts out a little not enough to hit the windshield.

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So we need to avoid adding RainX stuff to the washer fluid? Just plain water or the blue stuff?

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So we need to avoid adding RainX stuff to the washer fluid? Just plain water or the blue stuff?

I've used the RainX washer fluid without any problem. I like the way it works and wouldn't let one possible bad experience scare me away from it.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've used the RainX washer fluid without any problem. I like the way it works and wouldn't let one possible bad experience scare me away from it.

I use rain x all the time...zero issues

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Havix00

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This happened to me a few weeks ago. A nozzle attachment for a hood jet broke and fluid was just drizzling out when I pushed the wash button. I popped the hood, removed the insulation that covered my washer nozzles, and found the problem -- a cracked nozzle base. I just used super glue to fuse the broken pieces together. After a few minutes to let it dry, the fluid line worked and both jets were spraying like new.

I hope this is the problem because it was an easy fix. <10 min job.

Stealth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both my nozzles broke at the hose above the insulation. I ordered an OEM set from Ebay for $26/pair with shipping. FYI, chargers, 200's and 300's use the same nozzles.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
How about this problem?

Washer motor worked fine until minor fender bender. I rear ended someone at slow speed.

Tank is full, no problem there, but the motor does not work.

Any ideas?

Jwells

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just went though this last week, I thought the motor had died, we took it out put a new one in it still wouldn't work, took the whole tank out and discovered it a had a black slime plugging the filter and whole

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I just went though this last week, I thought the motor had died, we took it out put a new one in it still wouldn't work, took the whole tank out and discovered it a had a black slime plugging the filter and whole

Have you been running straight water and/or a +32 degree formula? I have found those to not keep the microbial growth down and cause that black sludge.

Jwells

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you been running straight water and/or a +32 degree formula? I have found those to not keep the microbial growth down and cause that black sludge.
I had actually just bought the truck and went to use the wipers the following say