Wiper problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recsdc3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 98 ram 1500 has an issue. When i honk the horn or turn on the left turn signal the wipers come on. And sometimes they come on randomly driving down the road.
If i press in on the wiper it stops after the three swipes on windshield.
I’ve replaced the turn signal switch with a new one and it still does it.
I’ve pulled the steering wheel and disconnected the horn and it still does it. If i pull the fuse for the wiper it doesn’t do it, i was wondering if power was coming from something else. I looked at wiring harness under column and dash and not seeing any work rubbing spots.
I’m stumped

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Disclaimer, I’m no expert just a DYIer. I’d start with getting the battery tested. You’d be surprised how often electrical gremlins pop up because of a weak (not dead) battery. Your truck is 24 years old so in all probability a weak battery won’t be the problem cuz the electronics weren’t all that great 24 years ago. It’s just a simple easy first step. Id check all the body grounds. After two decades you may have corrosion. Then check the engine bay for wiring damage like rodents eating through wiring. After those areas I’d look into corrosion under the engine compartment fuse box. These trucks are notorious for crummy fuse boxes and corrosion. If you have a good auto electric repair facility nearby it could be well worth money spent on an hour or two of their time to diagnose the issue. It’s many times cheaper in the long run to have a pro figure it out versus throwing parts at a problem.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's definitely a good idea to make sure your battery is in good condition. I suspect you have a possible grounding issue. You might want to see if you can find wiring diagrams for your truck. You might also want to ask this in the 2nd gen forum, in case anyone there has had a similar issue.