‘21 5.7 E-Torque shuts off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesusdiaz23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque
I was Going about 5mph around a roundabout when the truck locked up the rear tires, completely stopped, completely shut off and applied the electronic E-brake. I started it back up and ran perfect all the way home. Has this happened to anyone before? Thinking it has to do with the E-Torque system. Help?

S_Bedard

Reaction score
Engine
V6
I was Going about 5mph around a roundabout when the truck locked up the rear tires, completely stopped, completely shut off and applied the electronic E-brake. I started it back up and ran perfect all the way home. Has this happened to anyone before? Thinking it has to do with the E-Torque system. Help?

Is-there a driver assistance on the truck ? It sounds as if a camera saw an object too close up front and stop the vehicle. Also mud or dirt on parking detectors could be a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hungwaylow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dam thats a little intense did you ever figure this out?

dlewis4417

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 21’ e-torque shut off on me two different mornings last week but it coasted , it didn’t lock up. I restarted it then unlocked the ebrake and drove off. Both times I was under 10 mph. Any help would be appreciated.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does it do this with auto stop/start disabled?

Last edited:

Scotie28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8, 5.7L
I also have a 2021 Ram Laramie E-Torque and have experienced similar situation 3 times. It is always during the first trip of the morning within 2 miles from the house. It happens right during/after a slow turn from a stop. I’m not sure if the Auto Stop/Start feature has been on or off. I am going to try to test this possibility of being the cause by always turning that feature off for the next two weeks and then for the next two weeks letting it remain on then seeing how many times it happens. Ksi

Edintexas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L E-Torque
I have had the same problem 2 days in a row. It happened after a cold start, within a mile or so of my house, while in a slow turn after a stop. Both times the parking brake became auto set after it coasted to a stop and the message center displays the message to put it in park and push the button to start. The ignition remains in the "Run" mode. I usually turn the Auto Start function off when I start driving but I'm not sure if I did that either of the two times this happened. I see a lot of carbon in my tail pipe which I think might be from the constant starting and stopping. Personally I wouldn't buy a Ram with that feature again, whether or not it has anything to do with the engine quitting problem.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have had the same problem 2 days in a row. It happened after a cold start, within a mile or so of my house, while in a slow turn after a stop. Both times the parking brake became auto set after it coasted to a stop and the message center displays the message to put it in park and push the button to start. The ignition remains in the "Run" mode. I usually turn the Auto Start function off when I start driving but I'm not sure if I did that either of the two times this happened. I see a lot of carbon in my tail pipe which I think might be from the constant starting and stopping. Personally I wouldn't buy a Ram with that feature again, whether or not it has anything to do with the engine quitting problem.
I'm with you on that. I'm not a fan of stop/start, especially where I live. Very few situations where it will even stop the engine for any amount of time that would benefit me as far as fuel economy goes. So I "permanently" disabled mine with an autostop eliminator. I still have the ability to turn stop/start back on if I ever wanted to using the stock button under the shift knob. But I don't have to push that button every time I start my truck anymore. Best mod I've bought for my truck to date.