01 Cummins starting issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01moneypit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hello I am new to the diesel world but I'm pretty sure this isn't normal. After sitting for 7-8hrs or more the truck starts, sputters and dies. I crank it for 15 seconds then it starts and runs fine after.

Anyone have this issue and know a fix? I've been told by one guy a Fass fuel system will fix it but don't want to spend 900 dollars and not fix it.

TIA

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I have the same truck definitely not normal. Are you waiting for your wait to start light to turn off before cranking? When have you last changed your OEM Fuel Filter? I use Fleetguard filters. When you changed your filter did you let the filter canister refill before starting truck? Try the bump the starter and leave key on for 30 seconds, do it two more times, truck should start up if your injection pump is working correctly. Sounds as if air may be getting in somehow.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check all of the fuel return lines, there is a "T" fitting on the drivers side of the head at the rear, make sure all of the fittings are tight, there is also a banjo bolt on the back of the head that could be leaking also.

OP
OP

01moneypit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ok thank you. I just bought the truck 2-3 weeks ago. Dodge quoted me 300 to change the filter when I did my oil change so I'll be changing them myself. I will try to locate that T fitting this weekend. I always wait for the "wait to start" light to turn off.