03 1500 4x4 crossmember or bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Situation 5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone. I just joined and have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 that I'm helping my poor neighbor with. This truck has been quite a nightmare, from replacing nearly all of the suspension pieces, to the rear differential and gears, as well as the steering shaft and steering rack. I've had to replace all the brakes, steel brake lines, hoses and calipers as well. The rust and corrosion made almost everything non reusable, so now I'm stuck. Seems like I can't find any new Mopar crossmember or bushings where the rear of the torsion bars and keyways mount to, because they're discontinued. Also, after searching around extensively, I also discovered the lovely news that no one in the aftermarket produces the bushings either so I'm SOL. My question is, what have you all that lifted these model trucks do if you had the same problem? He would like to lift it so we are looking for a good suspension lift that comes with the new torsion bar crossmember if that is the only option. As a mechanic of 20 years, I have yet to be prevented from finishing a job because of some bushings, lol. My neighbor is a great guy and definitely worth helping so if anyone can give me some leads I would really appreciate it.

OP
OP
S

Situation 5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A solution may be in the works. Ill let all know if the universal bushings from Energy I ordered work or not.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could you post a picture of these bushings?

I cannot for the lift of me picture any bushings on the back of the torsion bar.

OP
OP
S

Situation 5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you post a picture of these bushings?

I cannot for the lift of me picture any bushings on the back of the torsion bar.
Sure. If you look underneath the truck, where the torsion bar keyways are, where you can tighten or loosen the torsion bars, the keyways sit in a crossmember bar. there is a bushing on both sides of the torsion bar.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gotcha!!! Between the crossmember and the frame!

I was trying to picture where a bushing would go between the torsion bar and the crossmember.

Mike Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in the same position 2002 3rd gen 4x4 ..... Please post any solution .. if and when found..

Stuart jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Hi iv just had the same problem with mine one of the bushings on the crossbar that holds the keys in the bolt rusted up so had to cut it off the bushes are pressed out now and we are making new polly bushes to go in just got to make the moles first hopefully have it all done this week and put some pictures up if anyone needs new bushes let us no thanks stu

iiM MAGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
4.7 V8
Stuart Jones, I need one. Please let me know how to get one

Colekenney25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi iv just had the same problem with mine one of the bushings on the crossbar that holds the keys in the bolt rusted up so had to cut it off the bushes are pressed out now and we are making new polly bushes to go in just got to make the moles first hopefully have it all done this week and put some pictures up if anyone needs new bushes let us no thanks stu
Did you end up solving the problem? I’m stuck in the same place

markmdz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bumping this one back up. Has anyone found a solution for the replacement to the crossmember bushings and rearward lower control arm bushings (that press into the frame, not the LCA).