03 hemi won't fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03hemitoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guy's I am new here and learning the site. I have rebuilt a 5.7 hemi in my 1500 2003 pickup. Got the engine back in and now it won't fire. I am sure I have the wiring harness right but, I know very little about the computer,crank,cam and knock sensors. I am old school when we had distributors, points ect. LOL. Can some one give me a clue as to where to start to fix my problem?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Well its easy to see if you have spark just pull no 1 coil drivers side front. As for the wires they should be numbered as to where they go right on the wire and if you pulled your original loom they are also layed put in the tray. The only other thing I can think of is to check if the fuel rails are pressurized and delivering, If all that is good then no reason not to fire unless the cam was not installed straight up at the 12 o'clock top dead no 1 with crank key at the 2 o'clock facing the mopar stamp on the oil pump.

You say you rebuilt it so I assume your knowledge experience is higher than me cause I have only done Cam swaps (5) and no pistons or head stuff 5 yet. You can download the free 03 dodge manual for our truck pretty easy if you need to confirm whatever. Good luck as I understand the feeling just before turning the key for the first time after buttoning things up. Danny

Last edited:
OP
OP

03hemitoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my first late model and I dont know If the cam sensor or crank sensor might cause this problem I have?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Never had a problem with either of those parts or heard of an 03 that did but it is possible. Did you get a doner motor or using the one from the truck. I am just guessing here now but assume you would have removed the parts for the rebuild. Know I am curious but unfortunately don't have time today to look at the manual.

Kenneth? Ant thoughts.....KG BigCountry should chime in when he gets a chance.