04 Ram 1500, Looking for Rear Air Bag suggestions and thoughts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I am looking for Suggestions and thoughts of using Rear Air Bags in this truck. Truck is stock ride height with New Bushings and new Blistein shocks. I am looking to keep the rear from squatting to much if I am hauling ATV's or Snowmobiles in the box or the trailer. I also tow a travel trailer from time to time and all fall withing in the weight and towing specs of the truck.

I am not looking to break the bank just something that will help out a bit.
On board Compressor recommended? Looking for a straight forward install.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd strongly suggest the onboard compressor & controls in the cab. It will make your life a lot easier.

There are kits available from Firestone, airmaxx, Chassis Tech and others that will fit your truck.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which is the better kit, Any links to a good place to get them.

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which is the better kit, Any links to a good place to get them.

I bought a Firestone kit for my RAM.
I needed extra capacity for hauling water.

Installation was straight forward. It says keep 5 psi minimum, but I keep zero psi and the ride is the same as stock. Any psi will give a stiffened ride with no weight on it. So I only inflate when needed.

I don't have an onboard compressor, other than my air horn, which has a connection for an airline. Which would work if needed. I use a bicycle pump when not near a compressor.

I put the schrader valve where one of my license plate screws are.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMIV4S/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would a Small Portable AUX Port Air pump work? A small Hand pump works? What kind of pressure are we talking ? Thank you

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Would a Small Portable AUX Port Air pump work? A small Hand pump works? What kind of pressure are we talking ?

Depending on the load and size of airbag, probably under 50 psi.
If you don't want to spend the money right away on a built-in compressor like an Airlift WirelessOne, I use one of these:
Fineed Portable Air Compressor Pump, 12V DC Hand-Held Tire Inflator, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019FIERRO/

Even with a compressor, you'll want a manual fill port, when you add the compressor you just T the tubing.

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I used Firestone air bags and Wireless One on board compressor with 3 memory remote. I installed everything myself in about 2 hours. I have the compressor in the floor storage bin on the passenger side to keep it out of the weather. This also give me piece of mind of hearing it "Bump" when I start the truck so I know it is working, and if I am hauling/towing and the compressor comes on, I'll know I have a busted line or bag and can stop to fix it before it does major damage. I keep a couple of extra fittings and 5' of spare hose in the bed of the truck. I have 3 memory settings on my remote: I run 5psi for daily driving, 30-50psi hauling, and 90psi towing my 40' fifth wheel. Others may have a different experience, but I ran my bags at 0psi for daily driving, and it destroyed the bags. Got all of my stuff on ETrailer, including the bags I had to replace at my own expense for not following the manufacturers recommendation of maintaining 5psi lol. ETrailer is like Crutchfield; A hair more expensive, but excellent service and tech help.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Compressors just need a ground and a power? Where are you guys tapping in?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Compressors just need a ground and a power? Where are you guys tapping in?
You'll want to use a switched power, something that turns on with the truck. The WirelessOne comes with long wires to run up to the fuse block under the hood.

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Others may have a different experience, but I ran my bags at 0psi for daily driving, and it destroyed the bags. Got all of my stuff on ETrailer, including the bags I had to replace at my own expense for not following the manufacturers recommendation of maintaining 5psi lol.

I've been running mine with no pressure for a year and a half, haven't needed to use them. How long did it take for yours to get ruined and what was the cause?
I ran it at zero psi because dare I say, it rode like a truck with even 5 psi in it. :)
Going to have to fill them up and see if anything is wrong.

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've been running mine with no pressure for a year and a half, haven't needed to use them. How long did it take for yours to get ruined and what was the cause?
I ran it at zero psi because dare I say, it rode like a truck with even 5 psi in it. :)
Going to have to fill them up and see if anything is wrong.

After about 6-7 months, I started to hear a faint rattle from the rear end. The truck rode like a dream, ( I have a 2500 with the 5 link rear), but that rattle started to get worse and worse. One day I got under there and just started randomly pushing and pulling on ****. Driver side air bag. Because there was no pressure to hold it tight, the hex head keeper bolt in the bottom center of the bag had wobbled out the hole, allowing the bottom plate to rattle. When the hole got wobbled out enough, the keeper bolt on the inside broke free, so the bag could no longer hold air.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys drill holes to run the lines in the cab?

IcyAgitator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I might be late to the thread......however......

I have the AirLift 5000 Ultimate AirBags w/Internal Jounce Bumpers (88295). I also added the Airlift WirelessONE Compressor System (25980EZ). I would take a picture but the undercarriage of my rig is caked with snow at the moment so you wouldn't get to see the setup clearly.

Some of the advantages to this setup;
1] Left and right air springs are inflated/deflated equally
2] The control module for the cab is wireless. So you can use it out side while connecting/disconnecting your trailer or to level it.
3] it also has a mobile app so you can control it with your smart phone.
4] And.....the best part!!!!! No airlines need to be routed to the cab.

I installed it all myself in just in about 5 hours. The hardest part and took me a little extra time was working around my B&W goose-neck mounting brackets on my frame to mount the airbags. It is designed to be installed with a hitch in mind. You just have to do a few extra steps is all.

I was able to get these parts much cheaper through Amazon for my vehicle. Prices will vary.
* Wireless One Compressor (new in box with everything needed) for $359 new
* Airbags (new in box with everything needed) for $230 new

Sidenote;
I can say this, I have had absolutely ZERO issues with this setup. And I pull my 11k 5th wheel. Horse trailer with 4 horses. And a Polaris 4 seater Razr (not all at the same time, lol). And lots of fiirewood in the truck bed and the ball hitch trailer (2 chords total).

My suspension and drive terrain have definitely not had to work as hard. And the Hemi has no issue pulling any of these toys and wood.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ICY, Can you run the just the Air Bags then add the compressor later on down the road?

IcyAgitator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
ICY, Can you run the just the Air Bags then add the compressor later on down the road?
I dont see why you couldn't. Just run the airline(s) to the rear of your vehicle. Install a pressure gauge inline near the air inlet valve.

That is how we used to do it 15-20 years ago (maybe more, lol) before truck compressors got cheap, lol.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like are Profile Pic also ICY, I ll call the company one of these days, I plan to do this in spring.

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I'll check them out.

After about 6-7 months, I started to hear a faint rattle from the rear end. The truck rode like a dream, ( I have a 2500 with the 5 link rear), but that rattle started to get worse and worse. One day I got under there and just started randomly pushing and pulling on ****. Driver side air bag. Because there was no pressure to hold it tight, the hex head keeper bolt in the bottom center of the bag had wobbled out the hole, allowing the bottom plate to rattle. When the hole got wobbled out enough, the keeper bolt on the inside broke free, so the bag could no longer hold air.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you're not using it all the time just do bags and a shraeder valve. You can tap a pressure guage in, but you can get portable compressors that use a drill battery with built in guages. Lithium batteries stay charged for a long time sitting and they will fit behind the rear seat even without the mod. Bags aren't that big so you don't need much volume. If you're out there loading/unloading and tying down whats the difference if you have to get out to adjust the bags. Probably be in and out checking ride height anyways. Next to the license plate is the easiest access, but if you don't want to drill holes you can make or buy a bracket to mount it next to the hitch or anywhere else you like that's convenient. The air line is flexible so you could run it anywhere.155189620346499011089765253031.jpg 1551896303942523050204033628105.jpg

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You guys drill holes to run the lines in the cab?

Only holes I drilled were in the storage box in the floor board. One for the wire in, one for the air line out. I then sealed the holes with black RTV inside and out. I will post pics of my set up shortly.