05 1500. Can it be supercharged?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi magnum
I recently purchased an 05 ram 1500 slt 5.7 Hemi. Never owned a dodge don’t know much about them, also have never supercharged a truck either. Question is where do I start,and best I can find there is not a direct fit supercharger available for the 1500. Any help would be appreciated. As of right now the truck is completely stock. Have plans to do cam suspension exhaust and obviously intake. I want to port and polish the engine. I’m not necessarily looking for supper fast top speed I want power through out the rpms. Looking for a twin screw supercharger and a tune is a must. Looking into a Greene tune.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I recently purchased an 05 ram 1500 slt 5.7 Hemi. Never owned a dodge don’t know much about them, also have never supercharged a truck either. Question is where do I start,and best I can find there is not a direct fit supercharger available for the 1500. Any help would be appreciated. As of right now the truck is completely stock. Have plans to do cam suspension exhaust and obviously intake. I want to port and polish the engine. I’m not necessarily looking for supper fast top speed I want power through out the rpms. Looking for a twin screw supercharger and a tune is a must. Looking into a Greene tune.

1. Didn't look all that hard then lol...less than 20 seconds in a Google search: https://treperformance.com/i-211214...MIsP6B5vGt4AIVxSSGCh2ehgWzEAQYAyABEgJqkvD_BwE
2. Cylinder heads, you don't P&P the whole engine
3. You won't find a twin screw for that engine that will run with your accessory drive; it's either the centrifugal kit I listed above or you have to switch to the car accessory drive and put 6.1 or eagle heads on to make it worthwhile and have the ports match. '09 is when the type you're looking for started being used in trucks. Tune is a pre-requisite. Unless the combo you screw together is a very common one, in this case it may be a better idea to get it dyno tuned vs email.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi magnum
I believe the ProCharger is a centrifugal supercharger. Found them, not what I want. I want a twin screw. I may be wrong and the ProCharger May come in that option but I didn’t see it.

So I have to switch to a 6.1 accessory drive if I want to use twin screw. Thanks for the info I’ll try to do a little digging and see what all I can find.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I believe the ProCharger is a centrifugal supercharger. Found them, not what I want. I want a twin screw. I may be wrong and the ProCharger May come in that option but I didn’t see it.

So I have to switch to a 6.1 accessory drive if I want to use twin screw. Thanks for the info I’ll try to do a little digging and see what all I can find.
Almost sounds borderline tantrum lol...yes I know it is centrifugal, I said as much above; read #3 again. No the Procharger does not come in a twin screw configuration. Are you prepared to pull the entire front end of your engine off, swap timing covers, completely reconfigure your accessory drive (which means extending wires and not half assing it, getting custom A/C hoses made, adapting PS pump etc), swap to an electric cooling fan and adapt the radiator inlet and outlet since the corresponding pieces on the engine will be in different places?
Do you plan to slap on and go or you going to build the foundation for boost?
More importantly, which I hadn't even brought up before, do you already have plans to keep spare RFE's on hand or to swap it with something else?

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi magnum
Like I stated before you suggested the ProCharger I wanted twin screw. Yes after looking a bit into it I see that after you said I’d have to go 6.1 I’d have to start moving hoses and wires. If I’m gonna do something might as well do it right. I don’t do this for a living so I’m just needing some info on where to start and I’ll begin tearing it all apart. It’s gonna be a project truck not a daily driver and not something I can expect to complete ina month. It’s gonna take time.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have recently done a car timing cover swap from my truck to a car/LX cover which will allow you to use superchargers designed for the cars. I plan on a turbo kit so I haven’t really researched what is available for the 05-08 lx’s. The 09+ lx’s will have the upgraded heads with bigger ports, and I don’t know how much of the timing cover changed that would stop you from using an 09+ supercharger on an 03-08 block. The car cover swap was fairly straight forward as long as you collect all the pieces and convert to an e-fan. I have a detailed write up on another forum with tons of pics if you are interested. Your trans will last for a few months if you play nice, then go out and you will notice the trail of broken 545effer’s is a well traveled path...

f323ebf721840c94db4f07803bc15952.jpg
1c87adffd2bfc252f679327c19dd8c5c.jpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi magnum
What’s the link to your swap I’d like to look through it

I haven’t had a chance to do a whole lot of research and other than this truck have never owned a dodge. But it’s starting to look like to me to run a twin screw it would be better to do a complete engine and transmission swap if I can get it to fit and mount correctly. Wonder just how hard it would be to mount the 6.2 hellcat in a 1500?

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your trans will last for a few months if you play nice, then go out and you will notice the trail of broken 545effer’s is a well traveled path...

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Bwahahahahaha true story

I haven’t had a chance to do a whole lot of research and other than this truck have never owned a dodge. But it’s starting to look like to me to run a twin screw it would be better to do a complete engine and transmission swap if I can get it to fit and mount correctly. Wonder just how hard it would be to mount the 6.2 hellcat in a 1500?

Mount easy, using your existing electronics and making an 8HP90 work in a PCI bus truck, different story. Honestly for what you wanna do, getting a '14 to '16 would've made your life much, much easier. Already comes with a good trans and has available twin screw bolt in kits.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

Here’s a link

https://www.hemitruckclub.com/forum...timing-cover-to-a-car-timing-cover-29654.html

I wouldn’t really consider a hell cat swap. Most of the legitimate swaps have only been done by big professional swaps and I still haven’t seen one in a 3rd gen ram. You can get exactly what you want by piecing together a supercharged engine but you’ll be running between 6k-15k by the time it’s done. If you are only planning on running low boost, 6-8 psi on stock internals you can have a chance at your stock trans lasting for awhile if you don’t over abuse it. Start pushing past 600hp and you’ll be blowing them left and right. The easiest and cheapest solution is swapping out to a 46re manual valvebody 4 speed transmission. It’s alittle cheaper then a fully built 545rfe that’s still not reliable and the 46re will take some serious pounding for quite awhile

I Bleed Ram Trucks