08 5.7 w/ new superchips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike49321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey everyone

2008 ram 1500, 5.7, 4wd, 140k miles

just a question. I just got a 3865 superchips tuner. All I have done is disable mds and programmed in the 91 octane tune (yes I’m running 93 octane)

thr question I have is regarding the shift sequence. After mds disable and the 91 tune, it’s as follows

1-2
2-3
3-4
Then at about 40 it seems to shift twice, a normal shift and a gradual reduction of rpm. Overdrive and torque converter lockup is guessing?
Here’s what’s odd to me. Once I hit 60mph, I get another shift. (And it doesn’t take much throttle pressure to downshift out of it). Is this normal? I’m new to the tuners and not super familiar with Chrysler or the 545rfe.

also, it shifts fine throughout all gears. I’m not thinking there is anything wrong, I just was out today and hit 60mph and it shifted again. Then I started counting shifts and it seems like there are 7 total.

thanks for any input!

I will take a video and post it if needed

Last edited:

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah 60 to 65 is where my 07 shifts last about 2000 rpm at 75 with 3.92 gears. And I don’t have a tuner.

OP
OP
M

Mike49321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yeah 60 to 65 is where my 07 shifts last about 2000 rpm at 75 with 3.92 gears. And I don’t have a tuner.
Ok, It’s just a lot different from having the MDS on (in a very good way). Yup. 70 is just under 2k rpm. I drove it all yesterday and never hit 60. And then all of a sudden today I hit 60 or more and it shifted. Threw me off lol.

thanks!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey everyone

2008 ram 1500, 5.7, 4wd, 140k miles

just a question. I just got a 3865 superchips tuner. All I have done is disable mds and programmed in the 91 octane tune (yes I’m running 93 octane)

thr question I have is regarding the shift sequence. After mds disable and the 91 tune, it’s as follows

1-2
2-3
3-4
Then at about 40 it seems to shift twice, a normal shift and a gradual reduction of rpm. Overdrive and torque converter lockup is guessing?
Here’s what’s odd to me. Once I hit 60mph, I get another shift. (And it doesn’t take much throttle pressure to downshift out of it). Is this normal? I’m new to the tuners and not super familiar with Chrysler or the 545rfe.

also, it shifts fine throughout all gears. I’m not thinking there is anything wrong, I just was out today and hit 60mph and it shifted again. Then I started counting shifts and it seems like there are 7 total.

thanks for any input!

I will take a video and post it if needed
You've missed a gear lol. 545RFE is a 5sp with a double OD. So you get the 3-4 shift (3rd in this trans is top gear or 1:1 to 4th, first OD), then you get 5th, then lockup. It isn't like a NAG1, this is basically like an old school (but electronic) 3sp auto with two overdrive gears, plus a separate kickdown gear (2 prime) just to **** things up for fun.

Last edited:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You've missed a gear lol. 545RFE is a 5sp with a double OD. So you get the 3-4 shift (3rd in this trans is top gear or 1:1 to 4th, first OD), then you get 5th, then lockup. It isn't like a NAG1, this is basically like an old school (but electronic) 3sp auto with two overdrive gears, plus a separate kickdown gear (2 prime) just to **** things up for fun.

Mmm ole 2nd prime.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've found the 545RFE to be an erratic transmission, it's been reliable but hard to figure.
Sometimes I look in the cluster for tow mode indicator......NOPE it's just in a mood.

OP
OP
M

Mike49321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I've found the 545RFE to be an erratic transmission, it's been reliable but hard to figure.
Sometimes I look in the cluster for tow mode indicator......NOPE it's just in a mood.
Haha. Mine doesn’t seem erratic, I just seem to keep reading different things about it shifting. It seems to work just fine, I don’t mind it actually. Only thing I don’t care for is when it hits lockup at about 38mph. Too soon.

where did you get the wheels in your profile pic? I’ve always liked those. Thinking about getting a set

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Only thing I don’t care for is when it hits lockup at about 38mph. Too soon.
One of the major issues; ****** factory programming. They're programmed to get into 5th lockup as quickly as possible for fuel economy (in a truck LMAO). Also programmed to kickdown to 2P when stomped on and it shares the weakest clutches in the case.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha. Mine doesn’t seem erratic, I just seem to keep reading different things about it shifting. It seems to work just fine, I don’t mind it actually. Only thing I don’t care for is when it hits lockup at about 38mph. Too soon.

where did you get the wheels in your profile pic? I’ve always liked those. Thinking about getting a set

Wheels came with truck when I bought it.....**** Cepek's