'09 Ford Fusion Fuel Trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
We've been running our '09 Fusion for 8 years now. A little over 177K on the clock. It's been as faithful and reliable as anyone could ask of a car.

Yesterday, I left the car running in the parking lot of the grocery with the wife in it while I made a quick jaunt inside. It was near 100*F here at the time.

When we left, the car would not accelerate and sounded like it was misfiring. It would get up to highway speed though, so we made the 14 mile trip back home alright.

Yesterday we had just driven about 90 miles from another town and the tank was sitting at about 1/4 full.

I had filled the car the day before while in the distant big city with 10% ethanol as that's all they had. I normally avoid ethanol like the plague.

Anyway, the OBD reader told me it was running lean on both banks. (3L V6) No CEL yesterday, but I got one this AM while diagnosing/driving it.

I researched fuel trim settings and looked at them. All were within range but the Long Term were fluctuating upwards of 15, 16, 17.

I saved the fault codes and then cleared them.

The car seemed to running well enough so I headed back into town and fueled up at my favorite gas station with NON ethanol fuel.

The car seemed to run much better on the way home and the LT trim numbers weren't fluctuating nearly so much. Maybe as high as 9 once in awhile.

I think I got some 10% ethanol fuel that was enhanced with extra ethanol. I've never fueled at that station before.

Yesterday's high heat and what I suspect was crap fuel put the whammy on the Fusion IMHO.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ethanol didn't cause 17% LTF.... That means "long TERM fuel trim.... it's a broad average of what's been going on since before you put 10% ethanol into the tank. I'd recommend you get the car looked at by someone who has strong driveability experience.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ethanol didn't cause 17% LTF.... That means "long TERM fuel trim.... it's a broad average of what's been going on since before you put 10% ethanol into the tank. I'd recommend you get the car looked at by someone who has strong driveability experience.

Okay. I am seeing those LT numbers changing fairly often. That must not be normal?