100K Diesel 5.9 ...... what needs attention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegasguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500
Engine
diesel 5.9L
New guy here... Hoping to get some feedback.... my 2004 3500 Dodge Diesel just hit 100K .... I do towing and I installed a deep trans pan. I change the oil and tranny fluid as needed, also brakes. I replaced 2 leaking pinion seals, what else typically needs attention at 100K ? and what's the deal with injectors, when should I worry about those? Everything runs well ... should I replace the brake fluid ? .... I live in the desert, the coolant seems fine, do I need to change that out? .... I don't know if I'm posting this correctly, so Thanks for any helpful suggestions ....vegasguy

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think to just look up the maintenance cycles and stick with that. As far as injectors, I haven’t heard much issues except for on the 06 Cummins(I think). Had something to do with the tips they used on the injectors that year. All of my buddies that own Diesels (all makes) that work theirs the same as you has installed a fuel filter set up that CAT makes. I can’t recall any of them complaining about injectors after that. Especially the Dirtymax owners.

Goodname4id

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would replace fuel injector line 4 before it leaks spraying fuel everywhere and becoming fire hazard. My fuel injector line recently leaked, fogging fuel out like crazy. Left me on side of road. The leak was so amazing that I had no idea where the source was. I found a YouTube video that said line 4 is the most likely to leak so I replaced it, and problem solved. The new clamp design on replacement Lin 4 from Cummins is supposed to solve the leak potential. Engine had 78,000 miles on it at time of leak.

OP
OP
vegasguy

vegasguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500
Engine
diesel 5.9L
I would think to just look up the maintenance cycles and stick with that. As far as injectors, I haven’t heard much issues except for on the 06 Cummins(I think). Had something to do with the tips they used on the injectors that year. All of my buddies that own Diesels (all makes) that work theirs the same as you has installed a fuel filter set up that CAT makes. I can’t recall any of them complaining about injectors after that. Especially the Dirtymax owners.
THANKS for the tip..... I will work on that.....

OP
OP
vegasguy

vegasguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500
Engine
diesel 5.9L
I will also look at fuel line 4 and see what's up with that.... Thanks for the tip....