Need help with 5.9 Cummins maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CokeZero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm new to the diesel world. I want to change my fluids after getting a new (to me) truck.

I have a 06 mega cab dually that has the 5.9 cummins. I drive it daily about 20 minutes to work each way. I live in FL its almost always atleast 80 degrees and sometimes (about a month out of the year) can get down to about 30 degrees. What weight of oil should I use? synthetic or not? or blend? How frequent should I change it?

I'm debating getting a Baldwin 7314 or 7349. Can anyone tell me which one is better?

I'm also thinking of getting a FASS system (just to help clean and keep cp3 happy) because the truck will stay stock performance wise. I only have a intake and exhaust.

Recommendations on the best fuel filter for stock?

Anyone use aftermarket stuff like hotshot's stiction eliminator? diesel kleen? how often?

Thanks for everyones advice. Just trying to keep the truck happy for as long as I can.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I have a 2011 6.7 Cummins that is fully deleted and run Shell Rotella T4 15W40 oil and won't run anything else. I change it every 5,000 miles, and I know that is earlier than the manufacturer's recommended change cycle but I like it. My oil is still sort of clean when I change it and I like that.

My son has an 06 2500 Mega with 5.9 Cummins and he doesn't run any fuel filtration other than what came on it from the factory and it runs like a top, but had injectors a couple two or three years ago. I run Power Service Diesel Kleen every fill up to help lube the fuel injectors, and I have tried to get the son to do this also but my words fall on deaf ears.

BTW, I talked to a guy a while back whose father has an older 5.9, and he said the "old man" abuses the hell out that truck and the only thing he has done is one new lift pump and 850,000+ miles, and no additives of any kind. So there, you decide....

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I always ran Rotella in my '05 CTD, but Schaffer's is a great oil, too. I always stuck to Fleegard filters from Geno's. Changed oil and filter every 5K, and fuel filter every 10K. When I ran additive, I used Stanadyne.

Zerofox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I use Wix filters on mine and change my oil every 250 hours. Additives well I use Lucas Oil Treatment in the engine every service.Also use it in my diffs.
Fuel I use Howes Fuel Conditioner all year round. I have 310K on this motor and never had a hiccup.
Know on wood..