12 inch Uconnect is junk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm back at my dealership for the 3rd time since I purchased my 2020 Ram Laramie Sport 4x4 on May 9th. The first time, the screen was defective and was replaced. I'd owned the truck for 5 weeks. It worked fine for 3 days, then started acting up again. In September I experienced the longest period without audio...an entire day while traveling to SE Kansas on a charity ride of 433 miles.

Like others I've talked to, my 12 inch Uconnect will either scan and not find a channel, or simply not scan at all. I can connect my Android to it (no, I don't use the Uconnect Android App. It takes over you phone and does what it wants to do and not what you want it to do.), however, if you get a call, you can't answer it because the Uconnect isn't working. Also, the volume is stuck on the radio and forget about Bluetooth, it won't connect either. I was actually able to drive the 35 minutes to my dealership last week and have them see what the radio was and wasn't doing. Fortunately, the climate control system and other app.
I'm back at my dealership for the 3rd time since I purchased my 2020 Ram Laramie Sport 4x4 on May 9th. The first time, the screen was defective and was replaced. I'd owned the truck for 5 weeks. It worked fine for 3 days, then started acting up again. In September I experienced the longest period without audio...an entire day while traveling to SE Kansas on a charity ride of 433 miles.

Like others I've talked to, my 12 inch Uconnect will either scan and not find a channel, or simply not scan at all. I can connect my Android to it (no, I don't use the Uconnect Android App. It takes over you phone and does what it wants to do and not what you want it to do.), however, if you get a call, you can't answer it because the Uconnect isn't working. Also, the volume is stuck on the radio and forget about Bluetooth, it won't connect either. I was actually able to drive the 35 minutes to my dealership last week and have them see what the radio was and wasn't doing. Fortunately, the climate control system and other app.

Join the club, the 12" system is junk. The dealership can't replace it until Chrysler says they can. I am in the same situation. I don't have a high degree of confidence that once they replace mine the issues will go away. From the reading I have done it sounds like this is most likely a hardware design issue (possibly not enough memory). The 2021 12" system is a new design by a different manufacturer and is not compatible with previous year models.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good insight. I'll expand on your software paragraph. When new software is released, the known bug list could be 50+ line items (or more). Add to that the bugs that don't get exposed during Alpha and Beta testing. There's a tremendous amount of pressure from on high to get the technology out into the market to begin recouping the R&D costs so it's "release it now and we'll fix it later". This is of course why many consumers have a wait and see attitude.

This is not new software or hardware. It has been out since before 2017, they should have had these issued resolved if there were any chance they could be fixed.

Last edited:

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
This is knot new software or hardware. It has been out since before 2017, they should have had these issued resolved if there were any chance they could be fixed.
I didn't say this was new software. I was explaining what happens when software is released. Typically a bug list goes on forever and some of those bugs never get resolved. As for the 12" hardware, I don't remember it being offered in Ram trucks before 2017.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I didn't say this was new software. I was explaining what happens when software is released. Typically a bug list goes on forever and some of those bugs never get resolved. As for the 12" hardware, I don't remember it being offered in Ram trucks before 2017.

The Pacifica and 1 or 2 other models had the 12" screen prior to the trucks getting them.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel

GPDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have had intermittent issues with 12” since we bought it in March 2019. All seems to be better until.....
We headed from NC to TEX. Was using Waze with CarPlay (instead of junk NAV in truck) on split screen. About 300 miles into trip lost bottom half. A little bit later entire screen went blank. Called some dealers on the way and they said they would have to order and there is 4-6 week delivery. (Obviously doesn’t help while traveling!). We used just our phones until about 700 miles into trip. We were at a rest area. I was turning on off etc and appeared nothing worked. Backed out of parking spot and the backup camera worked!! I tried just hitting the unit with my fist (like old day repairs) and what do you know?! Unit started working again!! What a piece of junk!! Nice when it works but our unit has had intermittent problems since day 1!!
If you are thinking about it, I wouldn’t waste the money.... Nice when it works, but tough when you don’t know when it will break.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Well if it is anything like the fix for drag link on the HD's, FCA will give you a padded mallet to hit the radio with and call it good.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm really glad I didn't get the 12" screen. With all the problems, Chrysler should just replace it without screwing around, no questions asked, if they are really concerned about customer service.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It has been 13 days since I was told by the dealership that Chrysler gave them permission to replace the infotainment center. Still haven't heard anything back from them.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It has been 13 days since I was told by the dealership that Chrysler gave them permission to replace the infotainment center. Still haven't heard anything back from them.

Well I called the dealership this past Saturday (11/28) to see what the status was for the replacement infotainment center since they had yet to update me. After being put on hold twice and telling them that if the service manager didn't call me back I would show up there within the hour I got a return call from the service manager. It just gets better. The service manager said "well I guess you heard from our service coordinator" to which I replied "I have not heard anything". The service manager proceeded to let me know that someone dropped the ball and never ordered the replacement infotainment center. I informed him that my family plans to leave for vacation December 6th and either they get it fixed before then or they need to put me in an equivalent vehicle for the trip. He said he was not in control of parts, which to me means he doesn't stay on top of his service work. I told him there are options to over night and next day deliver parts to which he stated again he was not in charge of parts. From all of my years with industrial maintenance it sounds like their organization could use some serious streamlining. You don't do a job without following up on parts status. I think I am going to pull the trigger and go after FCA with a lemon law suit. This is BS and a $65000 disappointment all the way around. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER DODGE VEHICLE, this after owning 10 Dodge/Jeep vehicles thru the years.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well I called the dealership this past Saturday (11/28) to see what the status was for the replacement infotainment center since they had yet to update me. After being put on hold twice and telling them that if the service manager didn't call me back I would show up there within the hour I got a return call from the service manager. It just gets better. The service manager said "well I guess you heard from our service coordinator" to which I replied "I have not heard anything". The service manager proceeded to let me know that someone dropped the ball and never ordered the replacement infotainment center. I informed him that my family plans to leave for vacation December 6th and either they get it fixed before then or they need to put me in an equivalent vehicle for the trip. He said he was not in control of parts, which to me means he doesn't stay on top of his service work. I told him there are options to over night and next day deliver parts to which he stated again he was not in charge of parts. From all of my years with industrial maintenance it sounds like their organization could use some serious streamlining. You don't do a job without following up on parts status. I think I am going to pull the trigger and go after FCA with a lemon law suit. This is BS and a $65000 disappointment all the way around. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER DODGE VEHICLE, this after owning 10 Dodge/Jeep vehicles thru the years.

The dealership amazingly called yesterday (11/30) and said they found a new infotainment computer to put in my truck. They are supposed to call me back today when it arrives once they verify it is the correct one to get it installed. Again, as I have mentioned before I am doubtful this will correct the issues due to the research I have done but will keep you posted.

Last edited:

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The dealership amazingly called yesterday (11/30) and said they found a new infotainment computer to put in my truck. They are supposed to call me back today when it arrives once they verify it is the correct one to get it installed. Again, as I have mentioned before I am doubtful this will correct the issues due to the research I have done but will keep you posted.

Well no call back from the dealership, guess I will have to call them again to get an update.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well no call back from the dealership, guess I will have to call them again to get an update.

I called the dealership 3 times yesterday (12/3). Twice I tried calling the service rep that had been handling my case and it went straight to voice mail. One the 3rd call I reached the service manager and he said they had the replacement infotainment computer and then asked if the service rep ever called me about it to which I said nope. The service manager said they could replace it whenever I wanted and I told him I am on my way NOW and to top it off the infotainment center was locked up yet again. I brought it in and less than 2 hours later they had the new unit installed. Amazingly I cranked it up this morning and the infotainment system worked. I still have to go back thru it and get everything set up they way I had it before. I also asked the service manager again about getting additional free SXM and Uconnect time since I was supposed to get 1yr free and mine has been unavailable for at least 60% of the time since I purchased the truck at the end of this past March. He is supposed to se what he can find out about this and get back with me, again.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I called the dealership 3 times yesterday (12/3). Twice I tried calling the service rep that had been handling my case and it went straight to voice mail. One the 3rd call I reached the service manager and he said they had the replacement infotainment computer and then asked if the service rep ever called me about it to which I said nope. The service manager said they could replace it whenever I wanted and I told him I am on my way NOW and to top it off the infotainment center was locked up yet again. I brought it in and less than 2 hours later they had the new unit installed. Amazingly I cranked it up this morning and the infotainment system worked. I still have to go back thru it and get everything set up they way I had it before. I also asked the service manager again about getting additional free SXM and Uconnect time since I was supposed to get 1yr free and mine has been unavailable for at least 60% of the time since I purchased the truck at the end of this past March. He is supposed to se what he can find out about this and get back with me, again.

I suspect that you'll have better luck through Sirius. I bought my truck new in 2019 and when I checked my account I only had three months free and no 5 yr on the other options.

I called the dealer and after much discussion they said it was out of their hands as it was a Sirius thing, Suprise!!!

I called Sirius and they said I bought a used truck and it was only three months. I persevered and told them that was not true as I had all the OEM paperwork and Carfax to show it was new. To the point, after about a hour on the phone, I had my 1/5 year options on it.

Bottom line, call them and tell them your radio never worked and the new one seems good. Be sure you have the new radio serial number so they can look at their files and see that it has been replaced and go from there. They have gotten much better at working with customers lately.

Good luck

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I suspect that you'll have better luck through Sirius. I bought my truck new in 2019 and when I checked my account I only had three months free and no 5 yr on the other options.

I called the dealer and after much discussion they said it was out of their hands as it was a Sirius thing, Suprise!!!

I called Sirius and they said I bought a used truck and it was only three months. I persevered and told them that was not true as I had all the OEM paperwork and Carfax to show it was new. To the point, after about a hour on the phone, I had my 1/5 year options on it.

Bottom line, call them and tell them your radio never worked and the new one seems good. Be sure you have the new radio serial number so they can look at their files and see that it has been replaced and go from there. They have gotten much better at working with customers lately.

Good luck
Thanks for the info. I will follow up with Sirius. Good news is that the infotainment center has set a new record. It has worked for 3 days straight.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update to the infotainment center saga. It has continued to function since they FINALLY replaced it back on Dec 3rd. It does seem to have trouble booting up from time to time but it has yet to lock. The new problem I started experiencing right after they replaced the infotainment center is the AC/heat will not hold the temperature setpoint. It just randomly heats up and cools down. About to schedule an appointment to have them look into this new issue.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
OMG, I am so glad I got the 8 inch screen and NO friggin Nav. Why do people still order built in GPS? Every one I've had since my 2005 Durango had issues. Toyota, Nissan, GM, FCA. Car based navigation units universally suck.

- How does everyone like having functions turned off when underway? Not even my passenger navigator can access important functions, like selecting a destination from the map, when underway.
- Then there are the update nightmares. $100-$300 for an updated map. Each year. Toyota's were the worst.
- Error messages and malfunctions: I've seen errors like "No detailed map is available for this area, turn by turn guidance is turned off". In a frigging nearby city laid out in the 1920s!
- How about routing insanity. I've been put on rutted out dirt roads in our 2003 Solara convertible. Updated 6 months before. The road has been dirt and rutted out for 80 years, yet the stupid Toyota Nav insists on using it.
- Lousy interfaces and impossible to read in bright light. In a car. Well duh.

Faced with this frustration, we use smart phones, Google and Waze. HOWEVER, neither work very well in areas without cell coverage and neither have routing options for RVs. NO its NOT fine to get routed on a road with an 11 foot bridge in a 12 ft high RV!

So that's why each of our cars has a car mount for our Garmin GPS unit, and my truck has a Rand McNally tablet based GPS. With either I can count on free recently updated maps and traffic information thru my cell phone. I can use Rand's website to plan long distance trips. I can do it on my tablet, PC, even my cell phone, and download the data anywhere to Rand's GPS. As for cost? How about 25% of the cost of a fancy car based Nav and all updates are free.

Again, why does anyone buy the stupid car based GPS?

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
I've had many 8" unconnect systems and all have been flawless. Sometimes it's operator error.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk