12 inch Uconnect is junk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmcb2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
I continue to see postings on issues owners are having with the 12inch screen. For me, two issues; when connected thru Bluetooth using my Apple 10 iPhone, phone calls are abruptly muted on my end. Second, the weather radar app is delayed in bring up information, if it brings it up at all.

I paid extra for the 12 inch radio and hear the 8.4 does not have these issues. I have taken to the dealer and was told these are both known issues and an update is due out. I was provided a case number.

Three months later, no resolution. The problem here is these radios have had issues since inception. Yet trucks are still rolling off the assembly with these defective units and we, as owners, are expected to live with the issue because the trucks are so nice.

Like I mentioned, we paid additional for the 12 inch screen and the issue needs to be corrected now. Either send the updates, refund the difference between the 12 and 8, or install new ones that work.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While the 12 inch definitely has more issues than the 8.4, to call it junk is extreme.

Most of the time it works, at least for me. I have an issue maybe once a week.

For comparison, the Fords I've owned with Sync2/Syn3 all had their issues as well and at least as often.

clays laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
5months with my 12 and have had no issues. Its also much quicker to respond then my last 2 8.4s

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A major update went out OTA that seems to have fixed a lot of issues.

Have not had an issue yet since the update (19.49.13). I think most hardware versions on 2019s and 2020s have gotten the update now.

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A major update went out OTA that seems to have fixed a lot of issues.

Have not had an issue yet since the update (19.49.13). I think most hardware versions on 2019s and 2020s have gotten the update now.

Are these updates automatic or do I need to take some action to update?

I’m new to newer Rams and new to UConnect.

clays laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Mine said "press to install update", on the screen everytime i shut my truck off.. finally pressed ok and it installed.. this is definitely new though as it never happened this way on my last 2 rams with the 8.4

cazs_98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only issue I have had is two weeks ago I purchased a leftover 19. Noticed the GPS did not have the correct location. Dropped it off on day 8 of ownership and they say they have to replace the unit. They are thinking anywhere between 1-3 weeks to get it back. Ouch.

Jerzey111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are those only 2 issues you have? Bluetooth i totally understand but Are you seriously ******** about radar app lag? And that's the reason it's junk? Please!!! You need a hobby

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are these updates automatic or do I need to take some action to update?

I’m new to newer Rams and new to UConnect.

They are automatic. Basically you'll see a message pop up at some point asking you whether you want to update or not.

It happened to me after I shifted into park at work. Clicked update now. Turned off truck. Many hours later when I left work it was already installed...so I guess it updated in the background.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Only issue I have had is two weeks ago I purchased a leftover 19. Noticed the GPS did not have the correct location. Dropped it off on day 8 of ownership and they say they have to replace the unit. They are thinking anywhere between 1-3 weeks to get it back. Ouch.

Hello,
If you run into any issues with your dealer obtaining the new unit, please feel free to send us a PM and will be more than happy to take a further look.

Lamar
RamCares

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Only issue i have had was the back up camera not coming up when putting it in reverse. Happened 3 times since i've owned the truck. It Hasn't happened yet since the new update came out. Hopefully it stays that way. Other than that, i love the 12" screen and the sound system, its much improved over my '13 and '17 which both had the premium audio and 8.4"..

cazs_98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,
If you run into any issues with your dealer obtaining the new unit, please feel free to send us a PM and will be more than happy to take a further look.

Lamar
RamCares

Thank you. 17 days at the dealer and I finally got my truck back.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thank you. 17 days at the dealer and I finally got my truck back.

Hopefully the dealer was able to address your concerns, if not feel free to reach out to us privately.

Lamar
RamCares

agpilot98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, I have to say I love my 2019 Limited w/12" screen, generally speaking. For the most part it is a excellent truck. But, it is getting really old having to take it to the shop for repairs. First problem was the 12" screen. It would randomly be blank. This happened only occasionaly. Then the gps stopped working. Took the truck in for a update to suppisedly fix the gps problem and the blank screen problem, and it locked up. Waited about 2 weeks for a new screen and all seemed to be fine after that. After about a week of flawless operation I now get a screen that is locked on the backup camera (without the camera). It does eventually fix itself after sitting for extended periods. Also, I have no idea if these things are tied together, but I now have no overhead interior lights and my automatic running boards have minds of their own. I hate to say it but I have been looking at the new GMC 3.0 diesels closely. I'll wait and see what the shop can do for the Ram tomorrow. BTW, my truck is 15 months old and has 37,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Mine is great. It had an issue when new dropping my channel memory. Turns out that was a Sirius issue.

Chance Boy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 1500 Limited has been having screen and blue tooth issues for the last 6 weeks. Had a same issue last fall but updates solved that but the latest update seem to cause more issues. Been back to my dealer 4 times and they reset and say it all good. Last week, we did the same ordeal and finally I was told today the unit will be replaced. Might take a few weeks, but Ram is standing tall on my issues. Otherwise, great truck.

Mltaormina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 turbo diesel
I’ve had my Ram 2500 laramie a week and a half ...I’ve now had two days where the Uconnect sporadically doesn’t work ...it drops the paired phone ...no media has sound ...u can see the song playing via Spotify etc ...the volume won’t turn up or down ...xm won’t connect ...all my apps work ...not sure what’s going on ...guess I’m going to take it in...then on top of it my Tim’s isn’t working back right tire doesn’t even register

rotts4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
My 12" screen has been Flawless in my 2019 Longhorn. No issues of any kind