12" Uconnect Static and Sound issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rslevasseur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 v8
Just started having the same issue in my Laramie. Calls, satellite radio, Bluetooth, USB, and navigation sounds are completely full of static. Has anyone found a fix yet?
I noticed you had the same issues I'm having with my 2020 ram laramie, did you get this resolved if so how did they fix it?

NHess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just trying to refresh this issue. I’m having the same problem with my 19 3500 with 12” UConnect system. Dealer has replaced the amplifier before, but after a few months, the random static/distorted sound is back. It goes away once you stop & start the truck, but enough is enough. There is an active DTC for an internal audio system error that the dealer claims cannot be fixed. “All Rams with UConnect have it.” At this most recent trip to the dealer, I was told that it’s in the cold weather. Although, that same dealer replaced amplifier in the summer. Being in Fairbanks, AK with only one dealer around, they like to use that escape route pretty often. This is the 3rd trip to the dealer about this. Twice, I have had techs go to the truck while it is happening & provided videos when I couldn’t make it to a dealer. I know Ram is watching this thread, so I’m hoping they make a fix.

This almost seems like a safety issue. You can be riding down the road, fat, dumb & happy then all the sudden the audio system freaks out & goes to full volume. The absolute most awful screeching audio comes out (sounding like a car wreck) on all modes of audio & cannot be stopped until the engine is shut off. I’ve even had it cross audio sources. Combined bluetooth, FM & a phone call. It occurs on all audio sources as well.

RAM 2020 Laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2020 RAM Laramie with 12,000 miles. Driving today the audio went very loud and lots of static. Couldn't turn the volume over 6 on the setting without being too loud. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for 30 minutes then reconnected and everything works OK (for now). I've had other problems with UConnect and other electronic problems in general and my first step is to disconnect the battery and wait. Don't unplug the battery and immediately plug it back in. The capacitors (?) need time to discharge to fully reset the system. I've had to figure this out myself because my dealer (LIA Northampton, MA) has been no help. I call them and the best I can get is an appointment in 2 months.

NHess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 RAM Laramie with 12,000 miles. Driving today the audio went very loud and lots of static. Couldn't turn the volume over 6 on the setting without being too loud. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for 30 minutes then reconnected and everything works OK (for now). I've had other problems with UConnect and other electronic problems in general and my first step is to disconnect the battery and wait. Don't unplug the battery and immediately plug it back in. The capacitors (?) need time to discharge to fully reset the system. I've had to figure this out myself because my dealer (LIA Northampton, MA) has been no help. I call them and the best I can get is an appointment in 2 months.
I’ve never disconnected the batteries when that happened. I just had to stop & recycle the ignition. Just got a new radio yesterday though. By new, I mean it is new to me. When I went & paired my Bluetooth, there were probably 10 other phones on it.

Just go to your dealer & get them to scan it, takes 1 min. You are looking for DTC B221E-00. It’s an internal error code. The dealer decision tree says to replace the radio. I now know four guys here in Fairbanks that had this & have gotten new radios. Good luck.

CLucy13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Having the same issues , Took my truck in because it seems as if the computer is doing a "reboot" while I'm driving. I lose all dashboard digitals and the Ram symbol appears prior to everything coming back on. Also the sound system decides when and if it will come through clear. Everything from Radio , to GPS to USB comes through scratchy and it happens randomly. Sometimes if I'm lucky restarting the vehicle will work. In most cases I'm stuck with the static until it decides to work again. Took it to the Dealer on Laburnum avenue in 2019.... three days later both problems started again....The reboot and static in the sound system. They gave me the run around about how it was an update that would take forever and I would be without my vehicle for a longer period of time. Also charging me the fee even though they didn't take care of the problem the first time.

SCUBA Bear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
I did that this evening for my 2019 Ram with 12" screen as it sounded like crap on a long drive today. I let it sit for almost an hour and reconnected the battery. Sounds great again. Thanks for the tip.