1500 Conversion to 2500 Front End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VanCityDirtDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I’m doing the 2500 bumper/grill/hood swap, and I’m still gathering parts for it, and just had a couple questions for anyone who’s ever done this, or might have more knowledge on it.

1. Will I have be able to reuse my hood hinges and struts?

2. Will my hood liner fit the 2500 hood?

3. Are there any adjustments to be made to the latch, seeing as the 2500 grill is taller?

Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Here's a thread to read through:
Keep in mind the +'19 HD trucks are still a Gen4 body and the front end should swap the same.

OP
OP
V

VanCityDirtDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Appreciate it, I saw that thread a little while ago while I was still doing my research on it. Didn’t notice the part that says the hood bolts straight on, but still wondering about the hood liner and latch.

Just noticed a good question that went unanswered - will the 1500 fog lights mount up to the horizontal alignment on the HD bumper? Or are those more parts to add to the list?

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your fog lights definitely won’t fit in the HD bumper. I can’t answer the latch or hood liner question for sure (I only swapped the bumper not the hood and grill), personally I’d just give it a shot and see what happens, basically how I did it.

Did you buy just a bumper skin or a complete bumper with the inner bracing, fog mounts, etc? Are you using Northspec conversion brackets or something else? If so the Northspec brackets are designed to not work with the factory inner bracing which I found gave the rather thin steel bumper too much flex. I modified the braces to work with the conversion brackets and it’s pretty solid now.

If you want to have tow hooks still after the swap theres some info on that here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/1500-to-2500-4th-gen-bumper-swap-using-nsb-brackets.200226/

OP
OP
V

VanCityDirtDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh geez, I’ve never even heard about the bumper thing before. Yeah I ordered the Northspec brackets and bumper shell/valance. Like did it feel flimsy? I see so many people doing the HD conversion over the years, but hard to find the fine details about the process. Just trying to soak in some info on people’s mistakes and surprises they came across while making the swap.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah kinda, if I sat it up on 2 corners (on the ground) and wiggled it a little it would just keep jiggling like jello. Felt like it was just for looks and had no bumping capabilities at that point. The inner braces are supposed to bolt onto the same holes that the Northspec brackets use so you just have to cut those tabs off the braces and it’ll work fine, makes a big difference. I seem to have lost the pics of it but if you’d like I could go grab some. Mine is also the without fogs bumper, but I think it’s the same idea with the fog bumper.

JohnnyDaPimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2016 rt ram 1500 and I want to do a 2500 front end conversion, what part numbers do I need?