1500 Crew Cab 6'4" bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I could have fit a crew cab with 6'4" bed into my garage... BARELY. I would have to creep in until it touched the wall before I could close the door. Not worth the hassle or worry. I chose the quad cab despite really wanting that floor storage available in the crews.
Yep, understand. When we had our 1500 mega cab. I had teach my wife how to park in the garage. Marked a cross line for her on floor. Only had 2" to work with front and back.

lakingslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had a Chevy Duramax 2500HD before with CC and 6'6" bed. I chose to get the largest bed with the CC in the RAM as I was used to being able to put a 8' piece of lumber diagonally in the bed with the tail gate shut. I did it with this truck but it didn't quite fit as well as my Chevy. Good enough for me though. I love this truck.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep, understand. When we had our 1500 mega cab. I had teach my wife how to park in the garage. Marked a cross line for her on floor. Only had 2" to work with front and back.
I have a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling. When it hits the back window the truck is in the perfect spot.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had to do a factory order to get mine. The CC/6.4 bed is not a regular build. The QC/6.4 is built on the same chassis as the CC/5.7 bed because they are the same length. The CC/6.4 bed is a longer chassis and is a special build. Hence why they are rare on dealer lots.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As I may be looking for a 1500 CC with the 6'4"-bed sometime in the future, is there any keyword to look for when browsing US dealer sites that lets me find them? Somehow the bed size never makes it into the truck's description, as far as I can tell.

Edit: the bed size is not even listed on the window sticker downloadable from Chrysler...

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ok all. This is just my opinion, I'm not a big fan of the crew cabs with the short bed (5'7"), primarily because of the looks and because of the lack of bed space.

But, trying to find a crew can with a 6'4" bed can be a task.

What's the aversion to crews with 6'4" beds and why doesn't Ram make more of them?

Mainly because of the wheel base imo

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I agree with the looks of the crew cab with the 6'4" bed. Looks proportional. I could only find
mine in the lower trimmed tradesman.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Now you can mod the **** out of it and really make it the way you want it.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As I may be looking for a 1500 CC with the 6'4"-bed sometime in the future, is there any keyword to look for when browsing US dealer sites that lets me find them? Somehow the bed size never makes it into the truck's description, as far as I can tell.

Edit: the bed size is not even listed on the window sticker downloadable from Chrysler...
149" wheelbase is on the window sticker as far as I know the CC 6'4 box is the only half ton with that wheelbase.

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a Chevy Duramax 2500HD before with CC and 6'6" bed. I chose to get the largest bed with the CC in the RAM as I was used to being able to put a 8' piece of lumber diagonally in the bed with the tail gate shut. I did it with this truck but it didn't quite fit as well as my Chevy. Good enough for me though. I love this truck.
My crew cab superduty also had a 6'6" bed and i have been quit disappointed by the 6'4" bed and its inability to hold 8' items.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, unlike most everyone else, OP, I'll vote for the CC and short bed combo...'16 Rebel owner here.

Yep, it may look out of proportion but I can maneuver it almost anywhere, including -- and perhaps most importantly -- my garage. To me, the QC in any form looks really odd (and I used to own a SuperCab Ranger Flareside)! The crew version has tons of room for people or stuff, plus my Reb has the Rambox option...I've got plenty of space for practically everything I need to haul locally or for road trips.

Granted, I'm a suburbanite with a modern garage, smallish yard and not much need for a "real" truck with a 6.4 Hemi or a Cummins plus an eight-foot bed, but as an earlier poster alluded to, my setup is more common because that's what most customers appear to buy.

Now I will say I wouldn't turn down a truck with a larger bed, but I wanted a Rebel above all things and that's how Ram configured the first-gen models.

TXCOMT

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I love mine. They are out there but I had to order mine to get the options I wanted on my Laramie. It has the bench seat and most dealers will not put those on their lot, console only.

Ram_Lake.jpg

OP
OP
rwreuter

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The only site I have been able to find where you can search for those features is:

https://www.cargurus.com/

I select the option of Crew Cab & Long bed and it gets me what I am looking for.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I select the option of Crew Cab & Long bed and it gets me what I am looking for.

Yes, I have been looking there, too, but they don't seem to cover all that much, even when searching nationwide. For instance, I found a Laramie in Wisconsin using cars.com, but that does not show up at cargurus, only a few Tradesmen.

But when the time comes, I'll see what a local dealer can come up with, they should have access to almost any truck nationwide sitting on Chrysler dealer's lots.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 5'7" bed mostly because that's what the dealer had at the time and hell I don't haul anything in the bed much anyway. I really don't NEED a truck per say but that's mostly what I've driven throughout my life and I would much rather face those deer and hogs with this truck than a Charger or some small econo ****box GOD forbid although that will most definitely be my next purchase if they're still around in a few years.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you really want/need it don't settle for the short bed. I use mine all the time and have put several things in there that would not fit in the short bed. This pallet has about 900 lbs of Aerospace mass simulators on it and I could barely get the tailgate shut. They simulate the seats and an astronaut for a pad abort launch test. I have fit lumber diagonally in the bed but only if it fit below the tonneau cover such as a 16' board (2x10) cut in half. Love my truck!

20170803_125713.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Canadian window stickers still show the box and wheel base on top for the 2018s I've seen. Strange the US ones do not.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you really want/need it don't settle for the short bed. I use mine all the time and have put several things in there that would not fit in the short bed. This pallet has about 900 lbs of Aerospace mass simulators on it and I could barely get the tailgate shut. They simulate the seats and an astronaut for a pad abort launch test. I have fit lumber diagonally in the bed but only if it fit below the tonneau cover such as a 16' board (2x10) cut in half. Love my truck!

20170803_125713.jpg

So are you saying we're about to launch some astronauts on a U.S.-made rocket soon? Please, do tell!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

TXCOMT

Harris342

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I had to special order a crew cab with a 6'4" bed. The dealership was very helpful and the process did not take long at all. I would highly recommend this if you really want one.