17 2500 6.7 Cummins Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derek James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So guys I need a little help with somethings on a 17 2500 6.7 Cummins. Got the truck with 158k on it last year, haven't had any issues other than minimal things. In March I replaced the power steering pump due to a whine I started to get. Very unusual whine because it wasn't a constant whine. It only whined at idle and got real aggressive in certain parts of the drive not even having the wheel fully turned one way or the other, could have been slightly turned and it would be annoying. Changed the pump and it seemed threw the summer it had somewhat went away, when it started to get cold it picked back up so I decided to try to bleed the system and make sure it wasn't any air. I drove to Oklahoma and it was terrible, Ended up warranting the pump because the pulley was loose, Put the new on on and it still does it, changed the lines from booster to pump and booster to gear box, flushed with new fluid and bled and still doing it. Just not as bad. I also noticed before replacing the pump I had some aeration and foaming, I was also loosing fluid but there was no noticeable leaking. Now i have no loss of fluid and no foaming, but still the sound and whine. Any tips on what that may be?

Also, changed my fan clutch and in which I don't thing is related to the whine or the next problem of that my exhaust brake recently quit after doing all this work. Is there a way to tear apart and clean the turbo to try to get the EB back? I've read article's saying I might as well just replace.

Thanks for your help.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
EB is probably just the actuator. Get one from Cummins, and it needs to be calibrated, which can be done with Alfa OBD, or get the City Diesel unit which is self calibrating, and costs more.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
EB is probably just the actuator. Get one from Cummins, and it needs to be calibrated, which can be done with Alfa OBD, or get the City Diesel unit which is self calibrating, and costs more.

City Diesel is out of stock on the whole actuator and "1/2" actuator. Have been for the past couple of months. No ETA listed on their site.

OP
OP
Derek James

Derek James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Could the Hydroboost be the issue with my whine even after the pump and line replacement?