17 to 20. What happens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
So there will be no TPMS errors (2016 to 2018) and no traction control or any other errors except speedometer mismatch?
If so, I can live with that.

Have your current TPMS installed on the new set and ask the tire shop to do a "relearn". My low pressure light went away.

airmad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Something that no one has mentioned is that if the od of the new tires is smaller than the old tires you will eat up your warranty mileage faster. I put my 17 inch winter wheels off of my 14 onto my new 18 and see about a 5% error. For every 95 kilometres I drive I use up 100 kilometres of warranty.

OP
OP
JimGregory

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have your current TPMS installed on the new set and ask the tire shop to do a "relearn". My low pressure light went away.
I am leaving the old ones in the old wheels/tires. Not worth it to me to pay the shop to remove them and no way I am wrestling the things out of there. To old for that nonsense. I can get new OEM sensors on ebay for under 50 bucks. Or maybe the tire shop has some..have not talked to them yet.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
I am leaving the old ones in the old wheels/tires. Not worth it to me to pay the shop to remove them and no way I am wrestling the things out of there. To old for that nonsense. I can get new OEM sensors on ebay for under 50 bucks. Or maybe the tire shop has some..have not talked to them yet.

my new set came with the aftermarket tpms and the tire shop couldnt read them. my suggestion should be your last resort if you cant get the aftermarket tpms to work.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I had a bad sensor with an intermittent problem at 300 miles and the light was on 6 or 7 times in 4500 miles and would always go back out as soon as I was close to the dealer. I bought a $14 sensor off ebay and had Discount Tire install it and force balance the tire for $16. The trucks system read the new sensor with in a 1/2 mile and no problems since. Seems like the RAM sensors don't need to be set up other than just driving.

Bobd2457

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah i put a set of Continentals on my 20's when the Goodyears wore out. Only a grand...20's aren't cheap

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
my new set came with the aftermarket tpms and the tire shop couldnt read them. my suggestion should be your last resort if you cant get the aftermarket tpms to work.

The tire shop shouldn't have to read them, they are self learning.
At least the ones in my 2015 are, when I swap from summer to winter and back I have tpms sensor in both sets, I put the whells on the truck drive a mile or two and the truck learns the new sensors with no input from me.
Now my wifes Chevy Equinox is another story, swap wheels then go get the tool install the battery, put the car in learn mode then go around the car in the correct direction activating each sensor in the correct order.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
The tire shop shouldn't have to read them, they are self learning.
At least the ones in my 2015 are, when I swap from summer to winter and back I have tpms sensor in both sets, I put the whells on the truck drive a mile or two and the truck learns the new sensors with no input from me.
Now my wifes Chevy Equinox is another story, swap wheels then go get the tool install the battery, put the car in learn mode then go around the car in the correct direction activating each sensor in the correct order.

i probably drove the truck for approximately 80 miles and my light was still on. where does it say that the truck is self learning? if your 2015 have it then i feel like my 2019 should have it too (then again im not sure).

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your odometer with be off a little bit also. A taller tire means fewer revolutions per mile, meaning a slower odometer.

OP
OP
JimGregory

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well I had a tire shop install the Ebay OEM sensors. They popped on in only a few miles. All good.
I ran AlphaOBD and changed the tire size as well. Indicated speed matches GPS now.
Hmm whats next..