'19 6.4 Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I just got my 2019 Power Wagon back from getting the rear main seal replaced. I happened to look under the truck tonight and it is already leaking again. This is my 1st Ram and I am curious if anybody has any ideas. I will be taking the truck back to the dealer and see what they have to say.

I originally noticed the leak doing my 1st oil change at around 5,000 miles. I did notice that it almost looked to clean to be engine oil, especially after 5k miles.

So far I have found other instances of leaking rear mains, leaking MDS solenoids and a few leaking ZF transmissions.

20200329_154345.jpg

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that’s not some kind of assembly lube? I’ve seen several examples of that before on new RAMS and it almost always was and would eventually dry up. I would clean it a couple times and give it a few months and see if it stops.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
So I just got my 2019 Power Wagon back from getting the rear main seal replaced. I happened to look under the truck tonight and it is already leaking again. This is my 1st Ram and I am curious if anybody has any ideas. I will be taking the truck back to the dealer and see what they have to say.

I originally noticed the leak doing my 1st oil change at around 5,000 miles. I did notice that it almost looked to clean to be engine oil, especially after 5k miles.

So far I have found other instances of leaking rear mains, leaking MDS solenoids and a few leaking ZF transmissions.

View attachment 204057

Hi @trdt44 - I regret to hear of the trouble you are currently experiencing with your truck. If it would be of interest, I would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved. Please follow up with me via private message to get the process started.

Mark
RamCares

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had my tranny replaced under warranty and a couple days later found some fluid on my driveway. Took it back to the dealer and it turned out they just didn't cleanup well and had left some fluid in place and it was dripping off. Probably a good idea to take it back just to be sure but there's a chance it's just leftover oil.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
photo shows clearly its engine oil and nothing else. logical thing to do is wipe it off and see if it returns. they may have been sloppy and left residual oil in there but it would drip off in a day or so. by day 3 youll know your answer

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 204057

I'd watch the oil levels for awhile before going to the dealer.

Also, get a flashlight and get under the truck to see if you can find an oil line to the source.

OP
OP
trdt44

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I took the truck back in and they think it is leaking from the transmission. They ordered some parts/seals for the front pump assembly. I will be taking it back in once they get the parts.

From the beginning I have wiped off the fluid many times and it always comes back in a day or two. The engine oil level is staying steady. The leak is coming from within the bell housing so there is no tracing it beyond that.

The fluid does not usually drip on my driveway but is just always hanging there. I assume it does actually drip while driving.

Last edited:

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What color is the fluid in the 8HP? That looks like engine oil. They probably bungled the rear main seal replacement or it wasn’t even the source of the leak in the first place.

OP
OP
trdt44

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What color is the fluid in the 8HP? That looks like engine oil. They probably bungled the rear main seal replacement or it wasn’t even the source of the leak in the first place.
The Mopar 8 & 9 speed ATF (ZF Lifeguard 8) is a greenish yellow (technically green) color.

unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
trdt44

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Any updates?
I actually got the truck back last Friday and it seems to be fixed. There was a couple drips the day after I got back it. I wiped them off and they have not come back. The paper work says the transmission pump bolts and seal were replaced.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452