1982 D150 slant six belt issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Browning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7l
My son is working on his 1982 D150 with a slant six and I am trying to help him. We purchase this vehicle about 5 months ago. It was not running, replace the ignition system and got it running and he was driving it on a regular basis. The water pump started leeking, so we replaced it (A/C Delco from rock auto) and installed new belts. New water pump on and he was back on the road. A week or so later he blew a heeter hose. When I was inspecting it and found the heater hose blew I also notice the alt/fan belt was off ( maybe it came off before the heater hose blew, not sure). Replaced the heater hose and put the belt back on. When I wes filling the cooling syste I noticed the radiator was leeking as well. Replaced the radiator and put everythin back together and now the alt/fan belt keeps coming off. upon further inspection it looks to me that the altenator pulley does not exactly line up with the crank and fan pulley. It looks like it is set back a little. Every picture I can find shows the alt/fan belt is the midle belt, the air pump being the most inner belt (air pump has been removed), and power steering being the most outer belt. The altenator pulley looks like it would line up with the most inner groove of the crank, but then would not line up with the fan. Any thought on this issue?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How about some pics, can you put some shims or washers to position the Alternator on the mounting bracket to be more in line with crank and fan pulley, Dayton makes a sure grip V-Belt that may stay on the pulley, or you could just drive the Alternator with the inner groove of the crank by changing the belt length and drive the fan and power steering with the outer most groove on the crank pulley again by changing the belt length, I know it sounds like work but I've done this in the past with Air Pump removed, It use to happen on GM vehicles allot.

OP
OP
J

John Browning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7l
Working on loading some pictures. I could move the belt for the altenator to the back groove where the air pump was, but I dont think the fan/water pump pulley and the P/S pulley would line up close enough to use the same belt.