1992 Dodge W150 - Rear Brake RWAL Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billscamaros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L EFI
Hey folks ….

I have a 1992 Dodge W150 4WD pickup with rear wheel ABS brakes (RWAL). The end of the intermediate brake line from the master cylinder to the RWAL solenoid has rusted through. The truck has around 80K miles and was my dad's truck.

I'd like to replace the entire rear brake system (metal lines, rubber lines, cylinders, drums and RWAL solenoid).

Has anyone done this? I can find the RWAL solenoid for a W250 (3/4 ton) but not for the W150 (1/2 ton). Are the solenoids for the W250 and the W150 the same? If not, any ideas of a supplier?

Same issue for the intermediate brake line from front to back. I haven't found one for the W150 but can find one for the W250? Are they the same?

I know that I can just run bulk brake line from the front to the back and keep the rest in place, but I would like to use vehicle specific parts to stay as close to original as possible.

Thanks

Bill

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
are you sure you are talking about the RWAL? sure it isn't the proportioning valve? the proportioning valve is up front. RWAL is usually in the frame rail near the back. personally i would toss the RWAL if it comes to it. just buy a roll of brake line and make your own. there is a couple specially fittings that you have to re-use but most are pretty standard. just use a 3/16" drill bit if any old lines give you a headache.

OP
OP
B

billscamaros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L EFI
crazzywolfie - thanks for the response. Yes, it's the RWAL unit bolted to the rear frame. The intermediate brake line connects to the RWAL unit and then onto the rear brakes. The brake line as it connects to the RWAL unit rusted out. Yeah, using bulk brake line to reproduce that piece is my plan C.

Re: removing/bypassing the RWAL unit and just running the intermediate line to the rear drums - other than the lack of rear ABS, is there any other issues that are caused by that? I saw a couple of threads mentioning that, but I'd like to know the problems that I create for myself before I do it.

Thanks

Bill

OP
OP
B

billscamaros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L EFI
Dodge RWAL Unit.jpeg

RWAL unit on 1992 Dodge. The brake line to the left feeds the unit and it's rusted through.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
only thing you might have to do if you bypass it is unplug the computer for the system which is behind the glove box. i have personally never found the system to do anything or at least nothing that would help stop better. only time i have noticed it trying to do something was when stopping on ice. i have locked up the tires on a wet road and never felt it do a thing. you can leave it hooked up if you want or disconnect it. all 89 or 90 and older trucks don't have any of that RWAL crap.